Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bluetooth headsets

Bike
    Nothing yet

Bluetooth headsets

Do you guys wear earphones or the like while riding? For music, gps instructions, and or to talk to your hanger-on-er-ah? If so what brand model do you use and would you recommend it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
    Sold
    I've used Sena for a few years now for bike to bike comms. Don't listen to music and normally have my phone switched off too as riding is my quiet time without distractions. The Sena has been pretty reliable, has a good line of sight range and will pretty much last all day on one charge. Comms are really clear through the speakers. I particularly like the design because of the large function/volume control dial which is easy to operate with winter gloves.

The one I have is the Sena SMH10 but there is a later model called the 20S which has more functionality. You can see video reviews of both on the Revzilla website. I bought mine direct from the USA as even with shipping (through NZ Post YouShop service), it was significantly cheaper than buying locally. I'm happy to support local business if there's an added value component but in this case, there wasn't.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2933.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	853.8 KB 
ID:	327999   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2934.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	794.5 KB 
ID:	328000  

Bike
    1988 M17 CBR250R Honda
    +1 for the sena. Lasted me 14 hours of music and guidance on my latest trip down the west coast. Fantastic bit of kit.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Another for Sena, been using since mid 2013 ish. I have a SMH10R permantently fitted to my Nolan N104 and a spare SMH10 for other helmets.

Using earplugs actually makes the speakers work better. Use it for GPS, music (from the GPS) and mobile link (via GPS) and helmet to helmet (these older units can handle up to 4-way while newer ones like the 20S can handle 8-way).
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    Using earplugs actually makes the speakers work better. Use it for GPS, music (from the GPS) and mobile link (via GPS) and helmet to helmet (these older units can handle up to 4-way while newer ones like the 20S can handle 8-way).
    Yep, interesting how much better it is with plugs!

Bike
    2002 Ducati ST4S
    I'm looking at getting the SMH5 from revzilla. Its only US$187 for the pair. Only concern I have is poor sound quality compared to the 10S or 20s but the price is low enough to make it worth a try.

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by mangere View Post
    I'm looking at getting the SMH5 from revzilla. Its only US$187 for the pair. Only concern I have is poor sound quality compared to the 10S or 20s but the price is low enough to make it worth a try.
    I don't know whether it's a characteristic of the SMH 5 or some other factor but one of our IAM team has one and we've never been very successful in getting a 3-way conversation going. No problem at all with the 10.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mangere View Post
    Depends on your purpose. The SMH5 has a very limited feature set, hence it's price. Limited range, only 2 way comms I think, pair with devices etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    R1200GSA
    Sena have an array of models. In the 10 series there is the 10S, 10U and 10R depending on your needs/wants.
    The 20S has loads of great features and better sound and range than the 10 series but has in my experience less of the robustness of the 10 series. They do not handle much by way of abuse.
    One of the reasons I went for a 10U is that all the components fit inside the helmet, there is nothing external like all the other models. You have to have one of a limited range of helmets however for that to work. THe rest will fit on pretty much anything.
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    SMH10R on my pillion set, BMW Motorrad on my solo helmet.

The music quality on the Sena is good. But when you BT your Spotify to the Motorrad headset, it's like you are sitting in the Royal Albert Hall.

Horses for courses. Don't pay extra for features you're not going to use. My sets cant pair with a hundred others at once, but I don't care.

Bike
    2007 Triumph Tiger 1050
    Blog Entries
    I have the Buyee BT interphone headset. Easy to use, gets the radio, intercom to another buyee intercom.. easy to fit in helmet, connects to phone... 60USD. The only issue I had was the clip that holds it to the helmet.. I broke it - but I got a wee bit of aluminium andcut it to the same shape, then drilled 2 holes for the screws. Better than it was before now... Anything over 140kmh with my cheap helmet I cant hear anything... but I can be doing 110/120 and talking on the phone and no one even knows.
    "If a million people say a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing." - Anatole France
    "An education isn't how much you have committed to memory, or even how much you know. It's being able to differentiate between what you know and what you don't." - Anatole France
    ZRXOA #9170

Bike
    Nothing yet
    Thanks for all the feed back. I think I like the look (and by the sounds of it the sound too) the Sena10r. Now to find one at a reasonable price. I rode from Nelson to Picton today and I thought it would have been nice to hear something other than the drone of the wind in my ears. Tomorrow I'll call in somewhere and grab some earplugs before I hit the road for home, that might help with the noise....well until a nicely priced sena turns up that is.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    We have a pair of S20s. They just work well. Started out with some cheaper units that wouldnt reconnect without re-pairing which was a pain in the arse.

As with most things, quality shows. Cheaping out on them wont last.

Bike
    2002 Ducati ST4S
    I just ordered an SMH10 for me and an SMH5 for the missus, along with a couple of battery maintainers and a ram mount for my phone.

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Quote Originally Posted by firsttimer View Post
    Thanks for all the feed back. I think I like the look (and by the sounds of it the sound too) the Sena10r. Now to find one at a reasonable price. I rode from Nelson to Picton today and I thought it would have been nice to hear something other than the drone of the wind in my ears. Tomorrow I'll call in somewhere and grab some earplugs before I hit the road for home, that might help with the noise....well until a nicely priced sena turns up that is.
    Ear plugs are a must in my opinion, you'd be amazed how much damage wind noise can do to your hearing.

Thread Information