Thread: Learning All The Time - The Final Episode

Bike
    I Ride No More

Learning All The Time - The Final Episode

Morning All,
    It's a lovely fine Sunday here in the Capital (two fine days in a row). Unbelievable. Almost as
    unbelievable as some of the ......

Sorry, it's Sunday, and good will to your fellow man or woman (however much you detest .... ).

Anyway, let me start by saying that I've met some great people on the site the last few days,
    and you know, as you get talking, you get to feel like you know them. You can open up to each
    other and discuss your problems. Like some of the people below.

I'll just use a short acronym just so I don't embarrass you. But I think you'll know who you are.

Casp....NZ: And his drinking problem. Really, No. Two small whiskies a night. No, I don't think
    that is really a drinking problem. But you're right, moderation in all things.

Anyway, you're one of the lucky ones. You can always go out on that IAM Observer business that
    you do, and take it out on some other poor innocent. At least you have another relief valve.

and

Geo ... For.. : And his little self-harm problem. Hope the foam underlay tip works for you.
    It worked a treat for me.

And if you limit the time you spend on KB as well, I think you'll experience a full recovery.

and

Akz.. : And his possibly undiagnosed dyslexia. That is how you spell it, isn't it? D-Y-S
    ...... oh, never mind.

I'm only mentioning this as some of his spelling always seems a little cryptic. Though the
    message never fails to get through. Anyway, for all I know maybe he simply has a few
    crumbs in his keyboard and just needs a good blow. Of compressed air.

and

K..Man: And his possibly undiagnosed Tourettes. I mean, for all I know, calling everyone
    a f@#$%&* c@#$% or a f@#$%&* w@#$% is possibly a friendly greeting or a term of
    endearment in his part of the country.

I know he has everyone's best interests at heart. How do I know? Well, when I was reading
    his "Free Speech" thread the other day, he was always asking others "what the f@#$%&*
    don't you understand?, you f@#$%&* w@#$% ". Now, he wouldn't say that if he didn't care.

What ? My problems?. Look, as I said earlier, I didn't want to burden you, and you haven't
    got all day, and I said that I'd try and keep this short.

Anyway, I was thinking last night (prone to bouts of that on occasion), and I am afraid that
    I will have to make this my last post on the subject of you-know-who.

Yes, I know that you'll all be disappointed (well, maybe not you-know-who), but it's for
    two good reasons.

The first is (as you've all kindly pointed out) that feeding the trolls (as well as poking fun
    at them) is really a futile exercise, and ignoring them is really only the right answer. It's
    a waste of time indulging their fantasties.

Scumdog said much the same thing in post #330. Credit: Scumdog.

Indeed, even you-know-who said that him/herself. B@#$%&*, if I now say that he/she is
    right, ....

I'll get to the other reason as we go along.

Anyway, so as not to disappoint the few of you who have turned up early today, we'll resume
    with post #307 on OAB's thread.

#307 - Rastuscat and his 'wide line'. Now, I know what you meant, and so probably did many
    of the others as well, but it did cause a few problems later on in OAB's thread.

You see, we had just started to get you-know-who to start thinking "Safety, Stability, Line",
    and we even had you-know-who quoting it back at us (post #320).

I thought that we might have been starting to "make some progress". You Police chaps and IAM
    fellows should be able to identify with that.

No, I meant that "we had slowly started to get you-know-who around to our way of thinking".

B@#$%&* English language.

And then Rastuscat, along you come (with your 'wide line' idea) and b#$%^& it up for us.

Look, I know that you're a riding instructor, and that you were well intended, but I'd really
    would appreciate it if you would just stick with the party line. "Safety, Stability, Line". OK.
    Don't confuse the poor soul.

You can tell whatever lies you want to in your own riding classes (I don't care), but while
    you're online ....

#310 - Target Fixation. I was looking forward to some discussion on that topic, but it never
    really went any further.

Maybe because target fixation is really quite a simple concept to understand. Well, it was
    for me when I first learned about it.

OK, I "might" have been looking at the rear end of one of the lady bikers in the class, and I
    might have made a comment about how nicely her leather riding trousers were tailored and
    where did she get them, but I still think the head slapping I received was still unwarranted.
    It's so hard to give a compliment to some people these days.

But, if you can learn from my mistake, I'll treat that as a success.

The point I'm trying to make is that you should always keep a respectable distance from the
    rear end of the rider in front of you, so that you do not "target fixate" on it, and in doing so,
    stop "riding your own ride".

And just a word to the wise: Make sure that if you are going to make a comment, do make sure
    that you don't have your helmet mic switched on when you do (especially if you are out on a
    group ride). But that's another story.

#316 - And then George came back online again, and put up a short video on U turns and how
    to go in circles better.

George, it was a good video (Thanks), but as for going in circles .... well, you get my drift.

And then the thread veered off-line again for a bit while the Gixxer and the Kwaka boys returned
    and started comparing the size of their exhaust pipes, and then they put up some gratuitous video
    clips on speeding and on not obeying the road rules.

Look lads, I know that speed is fun (or so I'm told by reliable sources), but you're not really helping
    the cause here. Thanks for your future consideration.

Anyway, now we get to the main reason why I think it's time for me to put down my pen (keyboard).

Post #332. From you-know-who.

I'll repeat it here so you don't have to go and look it up on OAB's thread.

"I have decided to call myself The Pied Piper of Kiwi Biker as a result of the following I have,
    and I bet that if I was leading a group ride of them they would follow me if I went over a cliff".

Well, sorry, that was the one that made me decide that enough is enough. Things are getting a
    bit too serious now. I realise that KB has a bit of a cult status, but this was getting worrying.

Firstly, "Pied Piper / Of KiwBiker". Yes, I know it rhymes and it's catchy (and you probably
    won't be able to get it out of your heads now), but that's not the point.

The point is here we were being criticised for having ideas of grandeur (for daring to go on
    a rider training course), and then , suddenly, you-know-who is prancing around on OAB's
    thread, saying "I'm the Pied Piper / Of KiwBiker".

I mean, it's all a bit hypocritical, really.

Pleeeeease. "Pied Piper / Of KiwBiker". Give me a break.

And as for the "Be Humble" attitude we talked about in lesson one ...... well, need I say more.

The main point was this suggestion that we go out on a group ride together (as if that's going
    to happen), and that if you-know-who was to lead the ride, he/she bet that he/she could ride
    off a cliff and that we would all follow.

Well, I might have promptly hopped onto OAB's thread and made a comment we'd already dealt
    with target fixation, and that it was very unlikely that any of us would follow him/her over the
    edge.

Furthermore, I might have also said that most would likely stop just at the edge and applaud.

And then I hit "Send", and suddenly realised that I'd been too quick, and that that comment might
    possibly be mis-interpreted.

What I really meant to say (if I hadn't been in such a hurry) was "you have to applaud some-one
    who is so passionate about what they believe in, and is prepared to go the extra mile (1.61 kms)
    to share their ideas with others".

That's what I really meant. Sorry if I caused any offence otherwise.

But:

Just in case I did mis-understand you (yet again) and you really are hell-bent on carrying out
    this little "social experiment" of yours (which I am in no way supporting or condoning) just to
    see what would happen, well, I can think of a few corners on the Port Hills just above the sign
    of the Takahe that might be suitable for your purposes.

I can guarantee that you'd get plenty of "air-time" (a little joke, there ........ oh, never mind.
    I forgot - you don't do humour).

Anyway, be sure to wear the proper gear. We can't get that ATGATT message out there often
    enough. And maybe a back protector as well this time ?

Pay extra attention with your riding line, and instead of just your customary 10-15 km/hour over
    the limit on corners, I'd be sure to give it full throttle this time. For maximum impact.

There seemed to be a few other Christchurch riders on this thread that sounded like they might be
    interested in coming along. But they might just limit themselves to the group ride portion.

Anyway, you can sort the finer details out on the day. Be sure to let me know how you get on, if
    you decide to go ahead with it. As fool-hardy as it sounds.

Anyway folks, I rattled on far too long, and you've got better things to do with your day (and
    your lives). So that's all from me for the time being.

I'll still log in from time to time to see if there have been any other useful tidbits of information posted.

In the meantime, as always, safe riding, and (yes, you guessed it) watch out for those damn dogs.

Caio for now. Viking01.

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    NO!

This is like learning that your new favourite television series is being canned at the end of the first series...

Can't give you more rep... you have a great way with words.

Bike
    I Ride No More
    Quote Originally Posted by Moi View Post
    NO!

This is like learning that your new favourite television series is being canned at the end of the first series...

Can't give you more rep... you have a great way with words.

Hi,
    Thanks for the kind words. But I think I'll quit while I'm ahead. It's all been a bit
    of fun (in among trying to relay a few safety messages along the way). As well
    as warn you about you-know-who.

I might still come back with another series sometime in the future. I'm not totally
    ruling it out at this stage. I mean, there is so much other material I could use.

But it's just that it's so exhausting arguing with (debating) you-know-who. Always
    wants to have the last word. Whether they're right or wrong.

I must hop on Google later on this afternoon, and see if there is some psychosis
    about "always being right" and "always having the last word".

Anyway, thanks again, and as always, safe riding and (well, you know the rest).

It's probably already firmly etched into your memory along with "The Pied Piper of
    KiwiBiker").

Cheers.

Thread Information