Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Go Pros create unsafe riders

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    ...Looking at the lights of vehicles in front of the one directly in front of you is not always possible if you are following a big truck or bus...
    So you drop back, give yourself room and time, move to the right to look beyond the large vehicle or to the left to do the same, make sure you're in their mirrors so they know you're there... it's not rocket science...

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Moi View Post
    So you drop back, give yourself room and time, move to the right to look beyond the large vehicle or to the left to do the same, make sure you're in their mirrors so they know you're there... it's not rocket science...
    You got it.

Sadly some dont.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    So you drop back, give yourself room and time, move to the right to look beyond the large vehicle or to the left to do the same, make sure you're in their mirrors so they know you're there... it's not rocket science...]
    never mind rockets. or science.
    that cunt's so thick it'd be a miracle if he kept all the crayon between the lines and didn't eat them.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    You got it.

Sadly some don't.

Russ at Roadcraft Nottingham is a good wet day use of bandwidth...

OK, road rules are a bit different but the basics of good, safe and responsible riding are the same.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    never mind rockets. or science.
    that cunt's so thick it'd be a miracle if he kept all the crayon between the lines and didn't eat them.
    You leave Ralph out of this...

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    We teach people emergency braking on our courses.

Then we spend the rest of the day showing people how to avoid having to emergency brake.

Rarely do I ever have to apply the brakes heavily. As I don't ride like the world owes me courtesy.
    AMS Controller: Continental give me a good rate please through FL100?
    Continental: Well sir, we are doing 2000 feet per minute.
    AMS Controller: Could you make it 3000 feet per minute?
    Continental : No sir.
    AMS Controller: Oh, do you not have a speedbrake?
    Continental: Yes sir, I do, but that is for MY mistakes, not for yours!
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    I am not a fast rider anyway as unlike most on here I take notice of speed advisory signs on bends. I think there is a statistic that states many accidents happen at or under the speed limit which means shit can still happen too fast to brake or swerve irrespective of what speed you are doing.
    will. you. just. fuck. off.

you are an ignorant asshole and do nothing but spout shit. the same shit. again and again.

Bike
    1976 Honda GL1000, plus implements
    That would not work if you are in bumper to bumper traffic as if you widen the gap between the vehicle in front someone following will likely overtake you and close the gap.
    Yes it does work. It's only you that fucks it up.
    High miles, engine knock, rusty chrome, worn pegs...
    Brakes as new

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    I am not a fast rider anyway as unlike most on here I take notice of speed advisory signs on bends. I think there is a statistic that states many accidents happen at or under the speed limit which means shit can still happen too fast to brake or swerve irrespective of what speed you are doing.
    Here is another advisory you should follow too.

DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    You "make time for yourself" by slowing down, positioning your self for your best possible view ahead and best possible position to be seen by others, thinking "what if?", being aware of what is going on around you and so on...
    What connection is there between what I wrote about "making time for yourself" and, consequently, "space and room to maneuvre" and what you wrote about speed through corners? I'd suggest very little connection and if this was a fifth form essay I'd be handing it back with the instruction to "answer or comment upon the question". Reply to what is said and do not throw up red herrings.

This is what you do, even in heavy traffic flows:

That would not work if you are in bumper to bumper traffic as if you widen the gap between the vehicle in front someone following will likely overtake you and close the gap.
    If you are in bumper-to-bumper it does work. You move to the right of your lane to see beyond the vehicle in front while still maintaining your lane position - "owning your lane" - and if need be you drop back a wee bit to give yourself enough room to stop without having to nose dive your bike. If someone in the adjacent lane wants to change lanes, probably because they haven't checked properly - an altogether too common habit of NZ drivers, then you can either give them a wee "note on the horn" or just drop back and let them go in ahead. Then you re-position yourself for maximum view ahead.

Also, if you're in heavy traffic and the person following will likely overtake you and fill the gap then it sounds like you're on a two-lane road only and you're probably better off having them in front of you where you can keep an eye on them rather than behind you and tailgating you.

Quote Originally Posted by Honest Andy View Post
    Yes it does work. It's only you that fucks it up.
    There are many on here who will agree with Honest Andy.

And before anyone else asks "Why are you replying?" - because if there is someone reading this who is new to biking and has never driven a car and so has no experience of driving on a road, as opposed to someone coming to a bike who already has experience driving, then this sort of irresponsible "dribble" needs to be rebutted. Even if we do feel we are hitting our heads against a brick wall...

Bike
    When you said "making time for yourself" I interpreted that to mean slow down so if shit does happen you have a better chance to swerve or brake. As I said from statistics many accidents still happen at or below the speed limit so SHIT CAN HAPPEN AT ANY SPEED Got that sport??
    Yes, "making time for yourself" could involve slowing down and consequently increasing your following distance. It might also involve you positioning yourself differently in your lane to give a better view ahead or even changing lanes on a multi-lane road. Which I do will depend upon any number of factors in play at that time and what I think will be the best solution at that time.

Very true, many crashes do occur at or below the speed limit - I think there's been some recent reports from the UK about crash causes. However if you have a crash at very low speed then questions should be asked about your preparedness for whatever could happen at that speed - were you really aware of what was going on round you? what had you done to improve your view ahead and behind of yourself? had you increased your following distance so as to avoid a sudden or emergency stop? had you made yourself visible to other road users?

[I would accept that if you are riding at very slow speed in heavy traffic and someone crosses the centre line and hits you then that could be called an accident and it could be argued that your only contributing factor to the accident was being on that particular section of road at that time. However, there are some, perhaps playing devil's advocate, who would counter argue that you should have been more observant of your surroundings and when you realised that a vehicle was about to cross the centre line you should have done whatever you could to get out of its way.]

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    What connection is there between what I wrote about "making time for yourself" and, consequently, "space and room to maneuvre" and what you wrote about speed through corners? I'd suggest very little connection and if this was a fifth form essay I'd be handing it back with the instruction to "answer or comment upon the question". Reply to what is said and do not throw up red herrings.

This is what you do, even in heavy traffic flows:

If you are in bumper-to-bumper it does work. You move to the right of your lane to see beyond the vehicle in front while still maintaining your lane position - "owning your lane" - and if need be you drop back a wee bit to give yourself enough room to stop without having to nose dive your bike. If someone in the adjacent lane wants to change lanes, probably because they haven't checked properly - an altogether too common habit of NZ drivers, then you can either give them a wee "note on the horn" or just drop back and let them go in ahead. Then you re-position yourself for maximum view ahead.

Also, if you're in heavy traffic and the person following will likely overtake you and fill the gap then it sounds like you're on a two-lane road only and you're probably better off having them in front of you where you can keep an eye on them rather than behind you and tailgating you.

There are many on here who will agree with Honest Andy.

And before anyone else asks "Why are you replying?" - because if there is someone reading this who is new to biking and has never driven a car and so has no experience of driving on a road, as opposed to someone coming to a bike who already has experience driving, then this sort of irresponsible "dribble" needs to be rebutted. Even if we do feel we are hitting our heads against a brick wall...

This makes it all worthwhile.
    It is why I used to try and reason with her, butt, no, I'm sad to say the sooner she fucks up and becomes a non riding not a KB member the bloody better.
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    S1000RR
    I remember debating on here with a guy who said he was an IAMs instructor and I gave him an example of an accident that I was in that was not my fault and there was no time or where to brake or swerve and he had no answer to what I could have done to avoid the collision.
    Because he wasn't as dumb as you?

If you can make it on Kiwibiker you can make it anywhere.

Bike
    S1000RR
    Sounds like you need some actual collison experience as I said above to shake off your dumb attitude about what I say.
    Sorry, I don't ride short sighted like you.

Bike
    S1000RR
    Only the know it all muppets on here without any experience of a not at fault crash need experience from such a crash.
    Cassina's Theory: More crash you have, more expert you become. For those haven't crashed, they need crashing experience. Fucking genius.

You all read it here first folks.

Thread Information