Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Another near miss blathering....

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar

Another near miss blathering....

Southbound on SH1 towards Wairakei a perfect storm of otherwise negligible happenings brewed up to create a holy heck that could have ended badly moment yesterday morning.
    Sure many will know the location, big long sweeping left hander just past Palmer mill road, northbound passing lane on other side of road.
    Had been caught up to a dithering 4wd that of course suddenly found speed on the downhill but was the type of driver you didn't want to sit behind. The two of us caught a trio of vehicles, two of which had trailers.
    After round the left I saw ample clear road ahead to effect a safe and legal pass of the 4wd to set me up to get the other three on the last southbound passing lane before taupo junction.

Passing the 4wd I got to pull in behind the ute at the back of the trio who are all a bit close for me to want to pass any further here. Suddenly the ute jams his brakes and pulls left. At first I just think hes being an ahole or needlessly helpful when I quickly notice all three of them are emergency braking because their mate up front in light truck towing small trailer has dropped an unsecured ramp which is dragging on the ground behind it.
    Thank F$%& the 4wd I just passed was paying attention as it was very quickly turning into a DR sandwich.
    Yes there was room withen in the lane to just gas it and nail it but would have resulted in excessive speed gain in a highly policed area and an aggressive looking pass to the *555 brigade.
    All in all a real nothing of a situation but a good reminder how anything can happen out there anytime and how the slightest of negligence can initiate an event.
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    '01 Yamaha YZFR6
    Blog Entries
    Lucky you're okay!

Thankfully the worst I've had fall in front of me on the bike is ciggy buts and apple cores. Different story in the car though.... a ladder fell off a vehicle and I thought I'd be able to clear it (cmon a Honda Prelude could take the beach) naaah the ladder caught under the engine bay and I grinded to a halt from 100km/hr. No damage.

THE FOUR RULES OF EXPLORING THIS AMAZING COUNTRY OF NZ
    RIDE SAFE, RIDE HARD, RIDE FREE

and try not sound so route 51 american brudda

Bike
    less than I used to have
    ...those cigarette butts are a scourge...I was out riding recently when some arsehole flicked one out the window and it ended up on my visor...it burned through the visor, through my eye and right through my brain and out the back of my skull, through the lining of my helmet which is when I realised what was happening due to the smell, and then right through the shell of the helmet...apart from smelling the foam helmet liner I was quite unaware of what had happened...when I stopped for a latte at my favourite hangout the Barista pointed out the hole in my head...I was wondering what the whistling noise was...a bit like a Shark helmet I once had...it got very annoying, so when I got home I bought a second hand brain from the Nth Island...I got a really good deal on it, a second hand, truck driver's it was, never been used...

Bike
    W650 sidecar & HD Fat Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by ellipsis View Post
    ...those cigarette butts are a scourge...I was out riding recently when some arsehole flicked one out the window and it ended up on my visor...it burned through the visor, through my eye and right through my brain and out the back of my skull, through the lining of my helmet which is when I realised what was happening due to the smell, and then right through the shell of the helmet...apart from smelling the foam helmet liner I was quite unaware of what had happened...when I stopped for a latte at my favourite hangout the Barista pointed out the hole in my head...I was wondering what the whistling noise was...a bit like a Shark helmet I once had...it got very annoying, so when I got home I bought a second hand brain from the Nth Island...I got a really good deal on it, a second hand, truck driver's it was, never been used...

Lol, Lucky you had a full face helmet. The buggers losing paper out their car window causes a stir when it suddenly clings to your visor, especially if its the NZ herald or similar.

True but sad story was a chap riding along a Wanganui city road many years ago was decapitated by a sheet of corr iron that wasn't secured properly on an approaching vehicle.

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by ellipsis View Post
    Margaret Mahy would approve of that story...

Bike
    Yo momma
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    Maybe someone just slamed on their brakes for a dog or some other animal up ahead.
    Or maybe it was someone who knows you and was trying to run your annoying arse into the weeds.

Bike
    I think this Harley rider may have been able to avoided this. But in saying that maybe a quick shift out to the right through the gap would or could result in a really high speed smack from behind.

https://youtu.be/CIuYf5T0d5U

Bike
    KTM
    Quote Originally Posted by old slider View Post
    I think this Harley rider may have been able to avoided this. But in saying that maybe a quick shift out to the right through the gap would or could result in a really high speed smack from behind.

https://youtu.be/CIuYf5T0d5U
    it looks like he didn't even react until half his stopping distance was gone

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    I got spooked in the same way myself once when all the traffic in front slamed on their brakes in front of me on a passing lane and I thought there may have been an accident up ahead but I saw no accident. Maybe someone just slamed on their brakes for a dog or some other animal up ahead.
    Nah! Somebody realised Cassina was coming.

Bike
    Honda Foreman, now
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Sichoe View Post
    it looks like he didn't even react until half his stopping distance was gone
    With 20/20 hindsight yes, but he was extremely lucky and very restrained given the circumstances.

The real point for us is to think and learn. Would we have fared so well? I'm not sure I would have!

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    According to some on here if you go to riding school you would have been able to sense
    Maybe a trained rider would not have got into the situation in the first place......
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    2012 Fireblade
    Target fixation - he had plenty of time and room to avoid an impact

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Bike
    It was on the good
    Quote Originally Posted by GazzaH View Post
    The real point for us is to think and learn. Would we have fared so well? I'm not sure I would have!
    No offence, but you should be expecting that to happen if you are fapping along in the outside lane. You can watch the video several times and start to pick out a few faults which is the 20:20 hindsight thing but jeez, there should be enough alarm bells ringing before the car even entered his lane. While indicating.

Interesting comments below the video. Perhaps that vid should be posted in the "GoPro wearers are all wankers" thread as well.

Bike
    As many as I can get away with
    If he'd been riding something with some real brakes instead of a tractor that probably wouldn't have happened. Even my drum braked classics could have avoided that

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by swarfie View Post
    If he'd been riding something with some real brakes instead of a tractor that probably wouldn't have happened. Even my drum braked classics could have avoided that
    That Fat Bob has decent twin front discs and an adequate rear disc, they pull up nearly 400kg of bike and rider in reasonable fashion, but firstly you must use them.

Thread Information