Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bike cleaning topic

Bike
    2020 DL 1050 Vstrom RO
    I've had two shaft drive bikes. GS850G and an XJ750 SECA.

Kinda reminds me of that era back then, you know, the time when the Rocky Horror was playing every Friday and Saturday night at the Hollywood in Avondale.

Come to think of it, it was always a "jump to the left, and a step to the right" riding a shaftie.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by oldiebutagoody View Post
    I've had two shaft drive bikes. GS850G and an XJ750 SECA..
    I had a ride on a Seca about 18 months ago. I remember being in awe of them when I was a kid, but after riding one again I wonder how we ever enjoyed riding the bloody heavy, relatively powerless things.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Bike
    2020 DL 1050 Vstrom RO
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    I had a ride on a Seca about 18 months ago. I remember being in awe of them when I was a kid, but after riding one again I wonder how we ever enjoyed riding the bloody heavy, relatively powerless things.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
    Quite so. Time and technology marches on. Some things I still cannot forget, flashbacks to wallowing waterbuckets still give me PTSD.

However I still get a bit dewey eyed thinking back to some of the bikes I owned from the late 70's through to the late noughties when I took a break from riding.

My first real WOT on the Kwaka turbo I had just purchased lives long in the memory...............sigh.

Back on topic; Elbow grease, neopol, kero, crc, lotsa clean rags is all you need.

Bike
    It was on the good
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post
    This thread has made me feel so guilty I went out and brought a bottle of kerosene today. Tomorrow I am going to try and clean a bike chain for the first time ever. My regime for the last 20 odd years has been to bang some lube on if it has been raining hard and change the chain and sprockets when it can't be adjusted any more.
    Well bugger me, it was gold underneath.

Bike
    2000 kawasaki zzr1100, 88 1500 goldwing
    Yesterday we had a guy turn up for a course on a GN125. A loose bolt had seen the chain guard rest against the chain.

If you clean your bike for no other reason, it's a good idea just to help you identify minor maintenance issues before they become major issues.
    ahhhh i see you have fallen in to granstars lil trap, don't be fooled, he knows his bikes wayyyy better than most, after all he still has and rides his trumpy that gets pulled down most years, the hornet is just so we don't get to take pics of him praying by his bike whilst out on rides.

Bike
    06 Honda 919-79 T140E Triumph 96 Guzzi
    Yesterday we had a guy turn up for a course on a GN125. A loose bolt had seen the chain guard rest against the chain.

If you clean your bike for no other reason, it's a good idea just to help you identify minor maintenance issues before they become major issues.
    Agree with that, saves a lot of time from being roadside with regular pre- ride and post ride inspections with a bit of a gentle wipe over with a rag.

Tyres, chain, brakes, oil level, battery, cables, spokes, etc

Also if you are buying a secondhand bike ( or car if you must), best thing to do is give it a clean, and see what is amiss, failing, or loose.

To much polish with harsh chemicals removes the protective coating that stops rust and road salt eating your bike to pieces. But are you going to stand there all day admiring it or go for a ride?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3WVIfDQMhw
    "If you ever need anything please don’t hesitate to ask someone else first.”

Anyhoo don't forget to add to calendar 19th May, 27th July, and 31 August.
    World whisky day, International whisky day, and Scotch whisky day.

Bike
    2015 Honda CBR650F
    What's a good and readily available product to clean up a heavily oxidised exhaust, engine headers? Tried some Supercheap Auto metal polish which did sweet **** all.

Bike
    1976 Honda GL1000, plus implements
    Quote Originally Posted by LinkNZ View Post
    What's a good and readily available product to clean up a heavily oxidised exhaust, engine headers? Tried some Supercheap Auto metal polish which did sweet **** all.
    Chrome or paint?
    If chrome you can take off small rust stains with a steelo pad or a green scotch-brite, be careful not to rub too hard or you'll go straight through (this cure is usually only temporary)
    If paint just sand the worst of the rust off and respray with VHT. You'll have to repaint it every couple of years
    That's for steel parts, if it's polished stainless I don't know...
    High miles, engine knock, rusty chrome, worn pegs...
    Brakes as new

Bike
    2015 Honda CBR650F

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Honest Andy View Post
    Chrome or paint?
    If chrome you can take off small rust stains with a steelo pad or a green scotch-brite, be careful not to rub too hard or you'll go straight through (this cure is usually only temporary)
    If paint just sand the worst of the rust off and respray with VHT. You'll have to repaint it every couple of years
    That's for steel parts, if it's polished stainless I don't know...
    Polished stainless steel

Bike
    M109R, GS1200ss, RMX450Z, ZX-12R
    Polished stainless steel
    Some green scotchbrite & autosol.....but pound the buggery out of the scotchbrite to soften it up first as it's too harsh when it's fresh out of the packet. Use the autosol like rubbing compound on the scotchbrite

Bike
    1976 Honda GL1000, plus implements
    Quote Originally Posted by T.W.R View Post
    Some green scotchbrite & autosol.....but pound the buggery out of the scotchbrite to soften it up first as it's too harsh when it's fresh out of the packet. Use the autosol like rubbing compound on the scotchbrite
    Yeah, they're surprisingly scratchy when they're new. How do you mean "pound it"? Just put it on the bench and hit it with a bit of wood or a hammer or something?
    (or do you mean "soften up" like they mean at Guantanamo, to make it see reason and cooperate...? )
    High miles, engine knock, rusty chrome, worn pegs...
    Brakes as new

Bike
    M109R, GS1200ss, RMX450Z, ZX-12R
    Yeah, they're surprisingly scratchy when they're new. How do you mean "pound it"? Just put it on the bench and hit it with a bit of wood or a hammer or something?
    (or do you mean "soften up" like they mean at Guantanamo, to make it see reason and cooperate...? )
    Yeah pretty much....I usually cut the sheet into equal sized fingers (about 5 per sheet) and roll the finger up then bash it with a hammer

Bike
    06 Honda 919-79 T140E Triumph 96 Guzzi
    You could always present the new one to the wife at the sink as a gift, then use the old used one.
    "If you ever need anything please don’t hesitate to ask someone else first.”

Anyhoo don't forget to add to calendar 19th May, 27th July, and 31 August.
    World whisky day, International whisky day, and Scotch whisky day.

Bike
    A
    Polished stainless steel
    There's a simple and gentle way. Go to your local Mitre 10 and get some 0000 woodworkers steel wool. Then just add a dash of soapy water for the rubbing process. Finish off with your preferred polish, I'd suggest Brasso.

Bike
    2012 VFR800
    Steel wool works great. Then you can use Lucas metal polish.

Thread Information