Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Number plate recognition

Bike
    less than I used to have
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    ANPR is an expensive system. When I left there were only 13 nationwide. I don't think that number has grown much if at all in the last 2 years.

You've raised owner liability offences. Interesting topic. When can they just send you the bill in the mail?

Only for very specific offences. Parking offences, stationary vehicle offences (expired WoF or reg on a parked car), number plate offences.

The only cameras which can produce evidence leading to a ticket posted to the owner are approved vehicle surveillance units. Red light and speed cameras are the only approved vehicle surveillance equipment.

ANPR is not approved vehicle surveillance equipment so Police can't post out tickets based on ANPR hits.

Re lucky dip. More a case of unlucky dip.

...well that nailed the arse of that fuckwit FJ Rider, the most experienced and know all twat on here to the wall, didn't it...good stuff...thanks RC...

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    but we're told it's never about the money, it's about saving lives.
    The ANPR systems are paid for from Police operational budgets. Ticket revenue goes to the consolidated fund.

Don't blame Police.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    but we're told it's never about the money, it's about saving lives.
    I noticed a remarkable correlation when in the job.

People who wear seatbelts don't get seatbelt tickets. Similarly, people who don't speed don't get speeding tickets.

I can see a pattern. Others apparently can't.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Tickets are optional. Don't want Tickets? Don't give the cops an excuse to write one.

Bike
    Honda
    Quote Originally Posted by Laava View Post
    Haha, yeah wind them up and let them go!
    Like you do with someone who has epilepsy?
    '' i'd let you touch me.''

Sorry fulla but I am spoken for.

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    The ANPR systems are paid for from Police operational budgets. Ticket revenue goes to the consolidated fund.

Don't blame Police.

You should have just left the nincompoops thinking the 'revenue gathering' dollars goes straight into the police funds..
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by scumdog View Post
    You should have just left the nincompoops thinking the 'revenue gathering' dollars goes straight into the police funds..
    Nah! We know it goes into the canteen fund.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    a green one, + some others
    Great info, thats what i was looking for.
    The cop who nabbed me, said it alerted him last time i passed him, and he just kept a lookout for me so he could give a reminder.

The plate in question is an old beat up black one, covered in shit. Standard trailer. Car camera read it just fine.

ANPR is a set of cameras attached to a computer. The cameras read plates, and the computer compares the read plates to the list of wanted vehicles loaded into the computer.

A new updated list is uploaded each day. It's not a data feed to an online database. That technology isn't with us yet. Wireless feeds aren't fast enough yet.

You can tell the computer to alert to whatever databases you want. Unlicensed vehicles, vehicles registered to wanted people, vehicles registered to disqualified people, for example.

If you program it to alert to too much, it nuts off so often you can't deal with all the hits. So they don't alert it to everything.

WoF details can come from NZTA, but so many vehicles have no or expired WoF, they just don't ask it to alert to those.

Reg details are loaded from NZTA, but only vehicles with licences expired for over 12 months I.e. lapsed vehicles.

Disqualified, suspended drivers are from NZTA. It alerts to vehicles registered to such drivers.

From Justice comes a database of people wanted on warrant.

And from an internal database comes a list of wanted vehicles. E.g. cars used in crimes, petrol drive offs etc.

Basically, there's a lot of myths about ANPR. Even within Police.
    Yes I know my enemies
    They're the teachers who taught me to fight me....

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by lb99 View Post
    Great info, thats what i was looking for.
    The cop who nabbed me, said it alerted him last time i passed him, and he just kept a lookout for me so he could give a reminder.

The plate in question is an old beat up black one, covered in shit. Standard trailer. Car camera read it just fine.
    The black plates generally don't read well, unless the deflection angle is slight. He got lucky.

Bike
    2000 Aprilia RSV Mille,
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    Maybe those who are worried about getting caught should learn to drive and ride in a way that does not attract police attention in the first place. No doubt your riding school could give those with such a problem a lesson Rastus?

LOLZ.

Ad Hominem me hearties!
    "I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it." -- Erwin Schrodinger talking about quantum mechanics.

Bike
    Mine
    Tickets are optional. Don't want Tickets? Don't give the cops an excuse to write one.
    That old chestnut.

So what you're saying is that TPTB have a right to insist that I act in a way that may be against my inner nature even though what I'm doing is not causing any harm to anyone.

I still maintain that, although not to the same degree, the arbitrary application of speed limits and seatbelt and helmet laws (among others) is akin to telling dark skinned people to sit in their own section of the bus.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

"Live to Ride, Ride to Live"

Bike
    2017 Yamaha MT-09
    Even "if" anything the cops did was 'revenue gathering', if you don't offend, you won't be caught/fined.

However, interesting feedback, so thanks. Learning new things all the time.

Bike
    less than I used to have
    Quote Originally Posted by swbarnett View Post
    I still maintain that, although not to the same degree, the arbitrary application of speed limits and seatbelt and helmet laws (among others) is akin to telling dark skinned people to sit in their own section of the bus.

...choosing what laws suit your demeanour in life also means that you personally should have no qualms about forgiving thieves, rapists, murderers etc because they choose not to obey said laws...that doesn't remove the fact that some laws are still just bullshit...

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by swbarnett View Post
    That old chestnut.

So what you're saying is that TPTB have a right to insist that I act in a way that may be against my inner nature even though what I'm doing is not causing any harm to anyone.

Laws are set by the presiding parliament. Arbitrary they may be, but that's the way this country is run.

It's hard to enforce rules that aren't arbitrary. Like, good drivers (whatever that means) being allowed to go faster than bad drivers.

Both road users and those who are expected to enforce the rules deserve to know what is expected e.g. get caught not wearing a seatbelt, ticket time.

Bike
    a green one, + some others
    Laws are set by the presiding parliament. Arbitrary they may be, but that's the way this country is run.

It's hard to enforce rules that aren't arbitrary. Like, good drivers (whatever that means) being allowed to go faster than bad drivers.

Both road users and those who are expected to enforce the rules deserve to know what is expected e.g. get caught not wearing a seatbelt, ticket time.
    so, to bring it back to the original post, if the registered owner of a vehicle is on a learner licence, will the computer put a flag up?
    Yes I know my enemies
    They're the teachers who taught me to fight me....

Thread Information