Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Number plate recognition

Bike
    Mine
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    Your body, your risk?

I guess that means that you'll be happy to pay the professional fees of a plastic surgeon trying to reconstruct your face after face planting a steering wheel.

And for the ambulance which picks you up. And the A&E folk who triage your injuries and call the plastic surgeon.

I understand your point though. I disagree with a number of our current rules. Cycle helmets being compulsory, for example. More lives have been lost through obesity through lack of cycling than head injuries saved by the rule.

We can disagree with the Rules. But it's a stretch to say that we should be allowed to make our own calls on everything. When there is a societal cost.
    Nowhere did I say that we should have carte blanche on everything. Only those things where we are the only possible direct victim. Personal autonomy tempered with an empathy for the needs of others is all I'm talking about. By all means have laws that stop me harming anyone else (anyone with a good sense of right and wrong will never run foul of these) but noone has the right to try and save me from myself.

And as for the financial cost, I will gladly help fund a system that creates a society where we are all free to pursue our passions. Yes, some people will get it wrong and need costly recovery efforts. That's the trade-off that I will happily live with.

If we don't do this the inevitable end is that anything that is remotely risky will be banned and life will become a drudge from beginning to end to the point that the suicide rate will go through the roof.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

"Live to Ride, Ride to Live"

Bike
    Mine
    Quote Originally Posted by ellipsis View Post
    ...how does Plod know who is capable of excessive speed and handling it all and someone who thinks they are good enough but in reality are dangers to themselves and others...
    This is actually my point, they don't. Given that why give them a job that they can't possibly do? Arbitrary laws don't solve this situation either. I would far rather allow someone to make their own decisions about their own lives and get it wrong than stifle the entire society to the point where there's no point in living.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

Bike
    1976 Honda GL1000, plus implements
    Quote Originally Posted by swbarnett View Post
    Nowhere did I say that we should have carte blanche on everything. Only those things where we are the only possible direct victim. Personal autonomy tempered with an empathy for the needs of others is all I'm talking about. By all means have laws that stop me harming anyone else (anyone with a good sense of right and wrong will never run foul of these) but noone has the right to try and save me from myself.

And as for the financial cost, I will gladly help fund a system that creates a society where we are all free to pursue our passions. Yes, some people will get it wrong and need costly recovery efforts. That's the trade-off that I will happily live with.

If we don't do this the inevitable end is that anything that is remotely risky will be banned and life will become a drudge from beginning to end to the point that the suicide rate will go through the roof.
    Ahh. You're talking about personal freedom. Don't be bloody silly. Nobody is stopping you building a private road and killing yourself on it.
    You've got all the personal freedoms you could wish for, and more.
    But when it comes to a public place, where I might be, I want you to be a bit more sensible than this stupid bloody claptrap suggests.
    High miles, engine knock, rusty chrome, worn pegs...
    Brakes as new

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
    3:46 AM and on Kiwi Biker

That's dedication.

Vote Axley
    Getting ready to creep up on unsuspecting farm animals.

Bike
    Mine
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Andy View Post
    Ahh. You're talking about personal freedom. Don't be bloody silly. Nobody is stopping you building a private road and killing yourself on it.
    So freedom is only for the rich.

Like others you seem to be missing the fact that I said "doing no harm to anyone".

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    that the suicide rate will go through the roof.
    nz is already liek, worst in oecd.

Bike
    Honda
    the suicide rate will go through the roof.
    .....and hit the concrete?
    '' i'd let you touch me.''

Sorry fulla but I am spoken for.

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    So freedom is only for the rich.

Like others you seem to be missing the fact that I said "doing no harm to anyone".
    'Personal freedom' and 'doing no harm to anyone' are at times mutually exclusive.
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by scumdog View Post
    'Personal freedom' and 'doing no harm to anyone' are at times mutually exclusive.
    no.no.

legislaition has has not stopped even one infringement. ever.

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    no.no.

legislaition has has not stopped even one infringement. ever.
    Get back to yer slug guns...
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by scumdog View Post
    Get back to yer slug guns...

ok... so remind me of that time someone chose not to commit a crime because it was illegal.....

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    If I had to pick one word to describe dear old axklze, it'd be "delusions of competence"
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    1976 Honda GL1000, plus implements
    ok... so remind me of that time someone chose not to commit a crime because it was illegal.....
    Oh are you talking about that time I decided not to do 70 in a 50kph zone?
    High miles, engine knock, rusty chrome, worn pegs...
    Brakes as new

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Andy View Post
    Oh are you talking about that time I decided not to do 70 in a 50kph zone?
    you never exceed the posted speed limit? fuck me you are honest, andy.

Bike
    2013 Rocket 3. 2013 T/Bird Storm
    you never exceed the posted speed limit? fuck me you are honest, andy.
    He just said not 70 in a 50. Didn't say he stuck to 50. Making it look like he's honest.

Sent from my ZTE R84 using Tapatalk

Thread Information