Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 95 Availability

Bike
    R1200GSA

95 Availability

Somebody will be insulted that I ask this question.
    Wife and I are going for 3 weeks to the South Island in January. Both our bikes run on 95. We are staying on the western side mostly, through West Coast, central Otago, Fiordland, Southland and back a slightly different route but still tending to stay west. (Avoiding ChCh basically) I know in some stretches of road fuel stations will be few and far between, my question though is can we expect there to be 95 at those fuel stops?

I bet there is an app for this........
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Bike
    Suzuki GSX S1000
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulsterkiwi View Post
    Wife and I are going for 3 weeks to the South Island in January. Both our bikes run on 95. We are staying on the western side mostly, through West Coast, central Otago, Fiordland, Southland and back a slightly different route but still tending to stay west. (Avoiding ChCh basically) I know in some stretches of road fuel stations will be few and far between, my question though is can we expect there to be 95 at those fuel stops?

I can't give you any specifics but can say I did a similar trip 18 mths ago and had no problems finding 95.

Bike
    R1200GSA
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassmatt View Post
    I can't give you any specifics but can say I did a similar trip 18 mths ago and had no problems finding 95.
    cheers for that!
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Bike
    A
    Our last outing on the Mainland confirmed that 95 availability isn't really a problem. I'll admit to being surprised the BP in Greymouth even had 98.

Only time it might be a challenge is if you've got a fuel range that is a bit silly.

If all else fails, use 91 for a short hop. Not ideal, but your bikes' ECM will do the magic.

Bike
    '21 Ducati Multistrada 950S
    BPMe app will tell about all BP stations and what kind of fuel is available where

Bike
    gsx250
    Gas spy normally tells you where the cheapest fuel is and what stations have what grade. It's crowd sourced knowledge so unless someone uploads the info from the small town they live in then only the main centre's have any decent coverage.

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries

You can even buy 95 on Stewart Island. But in such places ... (like the West Coast of the South Island) don't expect it cheap.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    all sorts
    I'm insulted.
    He who makes a beast out of himself
    Gets rid of the pain of being a man

Bike
    It was on the good
    You can even get hot food at some petrol stations, and get this, pay with one of those newfangled effypos cards.

Next we be getting street lights.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post
    Next we be getting street lights.
    I remember one great trip a mate and I did in the South Island, spending over a week doing Nevis, Dunstan etc. Coming back into Chch we were almost caught off guard by this pole of lights thingy we hadn't seen in over a week

On the west coast there are some stretches like Haast Pass with very little gas. Te Anau is your only gas if you're going into the Sounds. Generally if you have a 240km range and aren't being silly, you should be safe, as said... it ain't cheap (fark, I remember getting ripped a new hole for 98 at BP Greymouth once).
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    (fark, I remember getting ripped a new hole for 98 at BP Greymouth once).
    You might like to check out the price of petrol in Makarora ... Buy it there only if you really NEED to.

There is a (slightly cheaper) gas station / Garage at Haast Beach ... a few km's down the road towards Jacksons bay from the Haast junction gas station / garage (South side of the long bridge).

Most of the west coast small towns have 95/91/diesel ... at a price.Souith side of the long bridge)

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    And they DO have eft-pos down there too ... (in most places )

Bike
    Honda Foreman, now
    Someone told me they go all the way to 100.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Insulted mate. It's not fucking Auckland - we have fuel in the Mainland.

Auckland is retarded - when there is a shortage they decide to stock 91 only? Retards - any car will run on 95, but there are a shit load of Euro vehicles designed to run on 95 or higher only.

Bike
    86.249 93.398 00.944
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Auckland is retarded - when there is a shortage they decide to stock 91 only? Retards - any car will run on 95, but there are a shit load of Euro vehicles designed to run on 95 or higher only.
    This.

I've got a fleet of them, so if it runs out I'm fucked.

Fortunately it's not really a supply problem, rather a transport problem, so life in the south should carry on as normal.

In regard to the OP, never had a problem feeding the cars or the bike anywhere I've travelled.
    Riding cheap crappy old bikes badly since 1987

Tagorama maps: Transalpers map first 100 tags..................Map of tags 101-200......................Latest map, tag # 201-->

Thread Information