Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: WOF Question?

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I dont know how demonstrating braking can be faked which must have been the reason for it.
    It's not a orgasm, lock up the rear wheel, yank on the front so it dives and they are happy.

Never heard of a bullshit 250cc rule. The wof check sheet covers the same for a 250 as a 1250.

Been enjoying a three year WOF these are ace. I'll be taking it to a bike shop in another year as the muffler has one of those annoying 'track use only' plates on it ......

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Been enjoying a three year WOF these are ace. I'll be taking it to a bike shop in another year as the muffler has one of those annoying 'track use only' plates on it ......
    I'm in at least 2 minds about 3 year wofs.

I just ticked over 3 years on the RT.

54000 km. A lot can go wrong in 54000 km. I'm pretty fastidious with the bike, but someone who doesn't care about the bike could do with someone else looking at it more often than 3 years.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post

54000 km. A lot can go wrong in 54000 km. I'm pretty fastidious with the bike, but someone who doesn't care about the bike could do with someone else looking at it more often than 3 years.
    I agree - but I'm anal about my rides so no issue at my end. Other people though ............

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Blog Entries

I have a neighbour who's driving a late model Ford Mondeo which must have been in a fairly serious accident. No front driver's side window or side mirror and dents right along the same side of the car, metal torn in places and rusting. Occasionally she tries and fails to tape a shopping bag to the window to stop the rain getting in. Been that way for months. As a vulnerable road user, I'm concerned that it's not safe for it to be on the road, but she clearly doesn't care and nobody's stopping her. Guess it'll stay that way till there's another accident - and it has a current warrant of fitness.
    Moe: Well, I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I...I can't compete with that stuff.
    - The Simpsons

Bike
    Old Bikes
    Your VTNZ is bullshit Nausea. WOF is an inspection done by qualified bike people. They either know bikes and are qualified to test, or they're not.

Take your bike elsewhere.

Bike
    SWM RS 650R
    I have never ever had a tester at a testing station ride any of my bikes any further than a couple of metres to test the brakes.
    I mentioned vegetables once, but I think I got away with it...........

Bike
    2004ZX6R
    Have been to a couple of VTNZ in Hamilton , I have NEVER had them ask to ride bike to do a brake test , they have ALWAYS asked me to do it, even where they had a fully licensed rider,

Bike
    1976 Honda GL1000, plus implements
    I don't think anyone should put too much faith in the wof test. They look at a few key points only, and it's all stuff that you should be checking anyway.
    I struggle to have patience with people who don't know their brake lines are frayed or their steering stem is loose before they pull out of their drive.

Bike
    CB1300
    In Auckland I have never had any problem at avondale, rosebank (phone ahead they only have a bike inspector 2 days a week), the one down near Stanley st, Kingsland or Pukekohe (phone ahead their bike inspector only works most Saturday's and as a reliever apparently he works as a mechanic at one of the local bike shops).

In general testing stations (vtnz or otherwise) near collections of bike shops have good bike testers.

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    I have never ever had a tester at a testing station ride any of my bikes any further than a couple of metres to test the brakes.
    Lol, great brake test, if you never leave your driveway maybe.
    As bad or worse than observing someone else perform the test.
    Time to put in a few remits I think.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Have been demoing some brand new cars lately and the steering is as lose as on cars that have done well over 100,000km. I was told its to do with the new technology of electric power steering. I wonder how many car crashes have been caused due to the loseness (light feel) in modern car power steering? I read a review that said even top end Porsche sports cars dont even steer as well as they did when they had hydralic power steering.
    Fucks sake. It's not a loose feeling, it is light steering.

Every car feels different between models etc - same as motorcycles. You adjust to suit as the driver/rider.

Bike
    R1200RT LC

Newsflash

15 minutes ago I did a basic handling test for a WoF certified mechanic. He works at VINZ.

He confirms that the 250 cc thing is wrong. It's LAMS linked.

Those inspectors with 6L and 6R can only WoF LAMS approved bikes. You need a 6F to do a WoF on a non-LAMS bike, due to having to ride the bike to do the brake test.

I think it's common sense, but common sense is disappointingly uncommon.

Bike
    1976 Honda GL1000, plus implements
    15 minutes ago I did a basic handling test for a WoF certified mechanic. He works at VINZ.

He confirms that the 250 cc thing is wrong. It's LAMS linked.

Those inspectors with 6L and 6R can only WoF LAMS approved bikes. You need a 6F to do a WoF on a non-LAMS bike, due to having to ride the bike to do the brake test.

I think it's common sense, but common sense is disappointingly uncommon.
    Oh now you've spoilt this thread by getting it back on topic!
    High miles, engine knock, rusty chrome, worn pegs...
    Brakes as new

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Have been demoing some brand new cars lately and the steering is as lose as on cars that have done well over 100,000km. I was told its to do with the new technology of electric power steering. I wonder how many car crashes have been caused due to the loseness (light feel) in modern car power steering? I read a review that said even top end Porsche sports cars dont even steer as well as they did when they had hydralic power steering.
    Are you getting dumber every day?
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Andy View Post
    Oh now you've spoilt this thread by getting it back on topic!
    My bad.

Okay, how does one know if the headlight fluid on a bike has been changed recently?

Thread Information