Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Motorcycle purchase/hire

Bike
    ZZR1400, 2009, Kawasaki

Motorcycle purchase/hire

Looking for a touring motorcycle to hire for 4 weeks, and having visited a couple of kiwi rental sites, found the costs eye watering. Does anyone have a spare bike sitting in there garage they'd be prepared to loan/hire or otherwise for a fee.......or sell with a buy back if all is well less a fee?? I am currently arranging flights from the uk to arrive in Auckland on 5/2/18 and return to same on 7/3/18. The bike would need to have panniers. I am a young 60 years of age and ride a ZZR1400 PS in the uk. My previous bike of 7 years was a standard ZZR1400. I have been riding bikes since i was 16 years old, and generally cover about 10,000 km a year. I plan to ride to Papamoa where my relatives reside. I dont expect a shiney new bike, just something that's reliable. Any offers would be greatly received.
    A mousetrap strategically placed upon your alarm clock ensures you get out of bed a bit lively.

Bike
    Valkyrie 1500 ,HD softail, BMW r1150r
    Quote Originally Posted by magoo1 View Post
    Looking for a touring motorcycle to hire for 4 weeks, and having visited a couple of kiwi rental sites, found the costs eye watering. Does anyone have a spare bike sitting in there garage they'd be prepared to loan/hire or otherwise for a fee.......or sell with a buy back if all is well less a fee?? I am currently arranging flights from the uk to arrive in Auckland on 5/2/18 and return to same on 7/3/18. The bike would need to have panniers. I am a young 60 years of age and ride a ZZR1400 PS in the uk. My previous bike of 7 years was a standard ZZR1400. I have been riding bikes since i was 16 years old, and generally cover about 10,000 km a year. I plan to ride to Papamoa where my relatives reside. I dont expect a shiney new bike, just something that's reliable. Any offers would be greatly received.
    What sort of money are you looking at for that 4 week hire?
    Opinions are like arseholes: Everybody has got one, but that doesn't mean you got to air it in public all the time....

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Other than riding from Auckland to Papamoa, where else are you considering riding?

Bike
    2000 Ducati 996S MY01
    I've also looked into bike hire to cover some ground on the south island but I think I'm just going to put the Duc' in a container and ship her over.. It's a couple of grand for a return trip from Australia (plus a bit more for a WOF, short term reg, and a couple of other expenses) but it'd be money well spent to have a bike you know and trust to tour on..

There's this group who do UK to NZ and I'm sure there are a couple more.. It's a bit of money but worth it, in my opinion. http://www.newzealandmotorcycleadventures.co.uk/

Bike
    F800GS
    Quote Originally Posted by WALRUS View Post
    I've also looked into bike hire to cover some ground on the south island but I think I'm just going to put the Duc' in a container and ship her over.. It's a couple of grand for a return trip from Australia (plus a bit more for a WOF, short term reg, and a couple of other expenses) but it'd be money well spent to have a bike you know and trust to tour on..

There's this group who do UK to NZ and I'm sure there are a couple more.. It's a bit of money but worth it, in my opinion. http://www.newzealandmotorcycleadventures.co.uk/
    A couple of grand is cheap... I shipped a bike to Aus and back last year, cost a bit over 3.5 k (I gave up counting after a while), there was 5 bikes in the container. So a little over 15k for a 20ft. container.

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    I have this GSXR750. You can use it for $2000 a day if you reassemble, fit new pistons and rings, gaskets, fit new valves, shim and pay one years rego and return in undamaged condition.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160501_8908.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	431.8 KB 
ID:	334436  
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    Katana GS650 1983
    Quote Originally Posted by magoo1 View Post
    Have a bike with pack rack - no panniers if interested. what price you been quoted?
    YOU ARE A LONG TIME DEAD!! ENJOY LIFE WHILE YOU HAVE IT!!

Bike
    ZZR1400, 2009, Kawasaki
    Quote Originally Posted by awayatc View Post
    What sort of money are you looking at for that 4 week hire?
    Realistically, it depends on the bike and the insurance costs etc. What do you have?
    A mousetrap strategically placed upon your alarm clock ensures you get out of bed a bit lively.

Bike
    ZZR1400, 2009, Kawasaki
    Quote Originally Posted by Moi View Post
    Other than riding from Auckland to Papamoa, where else are you considering riding?
    I'd like to visit the south island at some point in my trip, as i didn't get there on my last visit. Also, north of Tauranga is on my list. I have no set itinary, just wherever i lay my hat. Would like to meet up with fellow bikers for a ride out too.

Bike
    ZZR1400, 2009, Kawasaki
    Quote Originally Posted by IkieBikie View Post
    Have a bike with pack rack - no panniers if interested. what price you been quoted?
    They're unable to quote me as it is their high season and don't have a bike available for that amount of time. (nzbike.com)They did offer a BMW 800GS but only for 2 weeks, which would tie me down if i had to return it midway thru my visit.

What bike do you have? I'll be travelling with a large rucsack so how big is the pack rack?

Bike
    ZZR1400, 2009, Kawasaki
    Quote Originally Posted by WALRUS View Post

Thanks for that Walrus, it looks good. I may have to reconsider my travel plans.

Bike
    ZZR1400, 2009, Kawasaki
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post
    I have this GSXR750. You can use it for $2000 a day if you reassemble, fit new pistons and rings, gaskets, fit new valves, shim and pay one years rego and return in undamaged condition.
    Mmm.....depends what colour it is really, plus i would need a full tank of fuel.

Bike
    18 Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    I can ship bikes from the UK to NZ for $1500 + GST, if that helps?

If you buy something with low Ks from a dealer, like this: https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/mot...77ab673de83a56

Get them to agree to buy it back from you, as it will still have relatively low Ks, after your trip.

BTW: Insurance is not compulsory out here, but I wouldn't advise not to have it
    “PHEW.....JUST MADE IT............................. UP"

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Someone from the UK coming to NZ and already complaining about prices!

Classic.

Bike
    18 Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Someone from the UK coming to NZ and already complaining about prices!

Classic.
    Yes Allan, I was in the UK in September and OMG everything is so so so so cheap, compared with here.

Best tip, don't drink the London tap water. The water has literally been 'Passed by the Management'. Apparently 8 people will have drank the same water before you.

London Town water does however have amazing medicinal properties and can cure all ailments known to man.

So many POMS are depressed (not difficult to understand why), that traces of anti-depressants are contained in all of the recycled water. If you're feeling down and blue - drink some tap water - you know it makes sense!

The same does for the contraceptive pill and why you see so many man-boobs around

Thread Information