Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Farewell to the motorbike

Bike
    2012 Suzuki Boulevard M50

Farewell to the motorbike

Some of you will remember I had an off in November 2016, dislocated shoulder and major rotator cuff repair. I've just been getting back in to riding the bike again, must admit I've been a little bit more wary of other traffic than I was before my accident. However, I’ve decided that I’m now an ex biker.

I had an off last night in traffic coming up to a set of traffic lights. I made a mistake and the bike went under the car in front and I went shoulder first into the gutter. Dislocated shoulder, the other one to the one I did in November 2016, and as I went down I thought, “I’ve got to stop doing this.” Also hit my head on the footpath, but the helmet did its job and no head injuries. ATGATT worked once again, I did tear my thumb open through the glove, blunt trauma injury as the glove is intact.

Had a long stretch in Hospital last night, the A&E had a terrible night. Got there by ambulance about 6.00 pm, but a stroke and a couple of heart attacks meant that someone with a mere dislocated shoulder had to play second fiddle. Anyway, they eventually knocked me out and dragged the shoulder back into place and stitched up my thumb and we got off home at about 1.00 am. Those ambulance and A&E personnel are fantastic!

So the insurance company is fixing the bike, again, and I’m putting it on TradeMe. I just think my age has slowed down my responses and I don’t have the skill level to take on Auckland traffic anymore. It was wonderful while it lasted.

I'll pop in from time to time just to see who is insulting who. Safe riding!

Steve, ex motorbike rider
    There are two songs, "Stairway to Heaven" and "Highway to Hell" which I think give an indication of expected traffic flow

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    Glad to hear you are again, OK,sadly these decisions have to be made.
    You are right our emergency services are bloody brilliant.
    Take care out there Old Steve. hey and make sure you do come over and say "Gidday"from time to time, once a biker, always a biker.
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    As caseye said, good to know you're okay.

Can well understand and respect your decision.

Just a thought, if you like the wind in your hair, perhaps a CanAm or a sportscar...

Bike
    CT110 Super Cub - postie bike
    Tough decision but easy at the same time. I suspect I am on my last bike and I'll just ride it into the ground. May take me a few years though. At current rates it'll only have 120,000ks on it when i hit 65.
    Grow older but never grow up

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Very glad you are ok Steve.

Not owning a bike is no reason to leave. Plenty here dont own a bike now.

Dont sell your gear and if you feel the need for a ride just ask and someone will take you out as a pillion. If Im free that would be no problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    A
    Sorry to hear of your accident there Steve, but good to hear you're doing (relatively) ok.

No need to decamp KB, as spokes already mentioned, plenty of chaps on here don't seem to ride anymore.

Wishing you a speedy recovery

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Sorry to read you're giving it away but glad you are OK - sort of. Have fun sorting out the new hobby.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Dont have one now
    I did the same after my last off....still hanging around here but Camaros are the new hobby.

Bike
    Various things
    Shoulders are def a cunt to wreck, but just wear high vis and you'll be right!

Bike
    Honda Foreman, now
    Oh Steve, oooooh. Ouch.

I think you need to work on the story though. Was it really a kerb you shoulder-charged ... or a rampaging 1 tonne bull that leaped over the paddock gate, scared witless by the raucous roar of your highly illegal exhaust?

Maybe it took a nip at your thumb on the way past?

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    Sorry to hear this Steve - take it easy, do everything the docs say and hopefully you'll be good again reasonably soon.

Bike
    KTM
    Did you give up the tobacco too?

Bike
    2010 GSX650F
    How old are you if you don't mind?
    Being Auckland based and 'not young' I wonder if when day will come to me too.

Cheers

Bike
    Various things
    Quote Originally Posted by imac View Post

Cheers
    I've had customers well into their 80's still riding, and I certainly intend to until I drop dead.

Bike
    2012 Suzuki Boulevard M50
    Quote Originally Posted by imac View Post
    Cheers
    69 1/2 imac. but only 9 years riding experience as i started at 61. but it'll be a personal thing. for the last few weeks i've found i was very nervous about cars beside me that might duck into my space, and i may have been too focused on the car beside me in the slow moving traffic that i wasnt paying enough attention to the car in front. my mistake and i think its just time to park the bike and walk away.

incidentally, today i went to have the stitches in my thumb checked and the doctor said, "that thumb could be broken, heres a chit for an x-ray."

and x-ray said, "yep, that thumb is fractured, go get a plaster cast on it, do not pass go, do not collect $200."

so, here i am with the left arm in a sling from the dislocated shoulder and the right hand in a plaster cast. eating is interesting, and say no more ...
    There are two songs, "Stairway to Heaven" and "Highway to Hell" which I think give an indication of expected traffic flow

Thread Information