Thread: Some good buggers in the South Island

Bike
    R1200GSA

Some good buggers in the South Island

I am a firm believer in being positive when we can and there are plenty of rants on here so I thought I would add something upbeat

Wife and I spent 3 weeks touring the South Island. After a previous post I made, I discovered that the Mainland is not actually bereft of petrol stations, you just need to pay attention and get it when you can. Never had an issue getting 95. (like you all knew)

What I do want to do though is give a shout out to some really good buggers we met while down there. We stayed at the Beachview Motel, Rapahoe. Between Greymouth and Barrytown. Awesome place, the owners are both riders and provide a brilliant welcome in a fabulous spot. Each unit has an view of the beach (geddit??) and is an easy walk along said beach to the pub where you can get a decent feed, have a cold one and watch the sun go down. Bliss. If you ever travel that way, give them a yell, well worth a look.

We enjoyed our stay so much we went back a second time on the same trip for another couple of nights. The morning we went to leave my wife's bike refused to start. Its a 2015 BMW so think complicated and $$$. Within a few minutes our hosts had noticed we were having a problem and had rung a local mechanic who immediately agreed to come out from Greymouth. While waiting, I had some advice from a mate via the phone which I tried and got the bike going. I took it for a spin up the road to see how it was running and when I got back Neville of Hughes Motors Greymouth had arrived. He confirmed what I had done was what he would do and looked over the bike and assured us we would likely be ok but insisted we took his number in case we got stuck further down the road. I had a bit of an argument with him to get him to take a few $$ for his time and fuel.
    I was so impressed, our hosts at Beachview were so quick to arrange help and offer alternatives should the worst happen with getting the bike going and Neville for coming all the way out to look at a bike he didn't know belonging to people who were passing through.

Anyone down that way may know the people I am talking about but I really wanted to acknowledge them on here and recommend both businesses to the good folks of Kiwibiker.

Southern hospitality? Yep, good on ya mate
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulsterkiwi View Post
    Neville of Hughes Motors Greymouth had arrived. He confirmed what I had done was what he would do and looked over the bike and assured us we would likely be ok but insisted we took his number in case we got stuck further down the road. I had a bit of an argument with him to get him to take a few $$ for his time and fuel.
    I was so impressed, our hosts at Beachview were so quick to arrange help and offer alternatives should the worst happen with getting the bike going and Neville for coming all the way out to look at a bike he didn't know belonging to people who were passing through.
    he's given me a lot and i live 300 km's away, usually bourbons, he's a great sponsor of a number of road racers too, legend

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    That's good to hear - As you say it's nice to see something on here that's simply positive and a good news story.

Bike
    06 Honda 919-79 T140E Triumph 96 Guzzi
    Had a guy in a grey ute flash his lights at me other day while on a ride. Was cruising along at 100k's but noted the signal (as ) then slowed for an upcoming blind corner. Sure enough around the corner the validity appeared in finding a stray sheep wandering about the roadside, a momentarily restored faith in tintops Thank You if it was you.
    "If you ever need anything please don’t hesitate to ask someone else first.”

Anyhoo don't forget to add to calendar 19th May, 27th July, and 31 August.
    World whisky day, International whisky day, and Scotch whisky day.

Thread Information