Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Customs Rant

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando

Customs Rant

I've bought a Back and Chest Protector from Revzilla.
    It took 4 days to get to NZ.
    Been held by Customs for a week pending them getting off their arses and doing an invoice.
    They have not notified me, only found out by ringing NZ Post.
    I have no issues paying the GST, just get pissed off with there additional charges, slothfullness and
    the latest ...a "convenience charge" by Wespac of $2.30 total of $118.00

What a cosy little deal the Govt and Westpac have going.

24% worth of additional costs.

Revzilla do a flat rate of $35 US ( $48.00)

Clearly to avoid all the services on offer probably best next time to split the order to avoid the $400 threshold

Beer opened,rant over.
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    KTM
    Back and Chest protector are safety equipment not clothing so you shouldn't have to pay any duty?

Bike
    KTM
    https://www.whatsmyduty.org.nz/perso...uty-estimator/

chuck in the $'s but select 'Sport -> Helmet (crash)' for an idea.

complain and get a refund from customs, thieving shits.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Sichoe View Post
    https://www.whatsmyduty.org.nz/perso...uty-estimator/

chuck in the $'s but select 'Sport -> Helmet (crash)' for an idea.

complain and get a refund from customs, thieving shits.
    a) there may not be any duty
    b) good luck ever trying to get anything back. I fought Fedex once for 6 months when they took a package, doubled its value, then charged me on that value because they couldn't read the numbers on the parcel
    c) when your goods go over the threshold, if they do pick you up, you don't just pay GST. You pay processing, clearance fees, tax on all that, then probably some credit card fees etc. I've had a $405 parcel cost about $100 more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
    Clearly to avoid all the services on offer probably best next time to split the order to avoid the $400 threshold

Beer opened,rant over.
    split the order, send them a week+ apart. Otherwise they will be added together, even if 2 separate parcels. Trust me I know.

generally I haven’t had a problem with getting notification.

you should check out the charges in shipping whole containers

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    Yo momma
    Quote Originally Posted by eldog View Post
    split the order, send them a week+ apart. Otherwise they will be added together, even if 2 separate parcels. Trust me I know.

generally I haven’t had a problem with getting notification.

you should check out the charges in shipping whole containers
    or send one parcel to your mates house.

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando

Yes, its not a Duty is just Customs tax/charge

I didn't know they would combine to packages
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    I've often thought they need some competition to sharpen their game. Maybe sic the Commerce Commission on them for their monopoly?

That will open the path for alternative providers. Heck I might enter the market with cut rate gst charges and ask no questions, they tell no lies policy, but I get to steal anything cool that takes my fancy from time to time. A bit like an anti lottery. Will be in the fine print.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    The retail industry here have been lobbying government to charge GST on everything to create "a level playing field". Custom's Parcels in Auckland can't even handle the volume of business they have now in n efficient manner. God help us if they had to charge GST on everything.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    The retail industry here have been lobbying government to charge GST on everything to create "a level playing field". Custom's Parcels in Auckland can't even handle the volume of business they have now in n efficient manner. God help us if they had to charge GST on everything.
    I get the impression from the phone call I made to Customs here that NZ Post do it for them?

I would not have an issue with paying GST on top of what ever tax I paid in the UK/US/EU if it did not attract more ticket clipping from Customs.
    God.....he's overworked in the Middle East.

Bike
    '21 Ducati Multistrada 950S
    Clearance work is done by the brokers. Broker files the paperwork on behalf of the customer and Customs tell them what the charge is. Paperwork is not the responsibility of the Customs. You should ask NZ Post for the delay. But to be fair, NZ Post informs the customer that they have a choice to appoint any broker they like. You don't have to stick with NZ Post for clearance.

I normally get an email from the carrier, including NZ Post. A phone call with credit card details and everything is done. I import parts for my hobbies (mostly Jeeps), I am not a corporate customer.

Bike
    '21 Ducati Multistrada 950S
    A good supplier out of US or Europe, even Australia, can do tax free export. So no need to pay GST or VAT overseas.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    I get the impression from the phone call I made to Customs here that NZ Post do it for them?

I would not have an issue with paying GST on top of what ever tax I paid in the UK/US/EU if it did not attract more ticket clipping from Customs.
    God.....he's overworked in the Middle East.
    I don't know what they are doing now, but it used to be that parcels were done on Post Office property that was staffed by both Customs and Post. Although waaay back I seem to recall it being done at Customs in Wellington.

Any regular Brit or Euro exporter will normally remove their local taxes - VAT etc.

Customs here charge you GST but they don't get to keep that money, it goes to the IRD. So Customs charge you for charging you GST then add GST to that charge too - so you get to pay GST on the charge they charged you for charging you GST.

Then there are other sundry charges which are not large but are annoying. Like the agricultural inspection, although in the normal run of events there won't be one.

And it is normal for the goods to spend less time getting to NZ than it takes to get through Customs. I've had email address and phone number put on the parcel but still they write. And they lie about the date the parcel arrived, it's like they don't know we are well aware of the arrival date from the tracking.

But we know all this so....
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Never mind that, it can take 3 days to move between the airport and the East Tamaki processing area. Lets be generous and say it's an hour in bad traffic. I'd like to know if the truckie delivers his pallets, and says, nah, don't worry about those, I only loaded them today, so they can come off tomorrow. Yeah right.

I was urgently trying to track one parcel (hence being given the 3 days). CourierPost said you have to speak to NZ Post as it hasn't arrived for processing. NZ Post said it hadn't cleared the International Mail Centre, and they said it's left. When I pushed the IMC on what truck, no, they outsource their trucks.... to CourierPost. Welcome to the Auckland Triangle of parcel loss... It goes into a black hole for 3 days, but usually comes out the other side.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDR
    It's not a $400 threshold, it's a $60 minimum collection. So with clothing duty at 10%, your threshold is lowered to $226 + 10% + GST = $59.89, whereas $227 + 10% + GST = $60.16 + $49.24 = total $109.40 to pay.

A freight component will of course affect those figures.
    Nunquam Non Paratus

Thread Information