Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Call for motorcyclists to stop 'lane splitting' overtaking after 10 riders die in Jan

Bike
    Guzzi's , Gilera Saturno

Bike
    none yet
    That's not anti propaganda. That was a fairly balanced and sound analysis of the manoeuvre, backed up with statistics. Seems fine.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
    Made you look

Bike
    S1000RR
    Must be riding under too much pressure to go home sooner.

If you can make it on Kiwibiker you can make it anywhere.

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2fst4u View Post
    That's not anti propaganda. That was a fairly balanced and sound analysis of the manoeuvre, backed up with statistics. Seems fine.
    Have to agree. And Clive Double-Barrel actually made sensible comments.

Assistant commissioner for road policing Sandra Venables said half of the motorcycle deaths had been caused by dangerous overtaking, and she urged motorcyclists not to take unnecessary risks.
    - there's a big difference between lane splitting in a sensible manner and a dangerous overtaking manoeuvre, although both involve an element of risk.

Biggest issue with lane splitting is that NZ drivers can not drive to the left of the road or the left of their lane...

Bike
    Street Triple R + Yamaha R3
    "94,238 dollars paid out in ACC claims in 2017"

Surely there's a couple of zeros missing from that number.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Bike
    Guzzi's , Gilera Saturno
    Quote Originally Posted by release_the_bees View Post

actually I'm surprised by the vast majority of the comment are pro motorcycling.

Bike
    Various things

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
    You must've read a diff article than I did then.

Bike
    2017 Triumph Tiger XCA
    Quote Originally Posted by release_the_bees View Post

But they neglect to declare how many $$$ were collected from motorcyclists in the form of ACC levies in the rego price...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Bike
    none yet
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasherfromwayback View Post
    You must've read a diff article than I did then.
    How? There was a spokesperson for the transport agency saying it was safe and several lines from some other geyser saying that splitting in itself wasn't the issue, unsafe overtaking in general was. Seems pretty fair.
    Made you look

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by johcar View Post
    But they neglect to declare how many $$$ were collected from motorcyclists in the form of ACC levies in the rego price...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
    That's what I was thinking too.

Bike
    Various things
    How? There was a spokesperson for the transport agency saying it was safe and several lines from some other geyser saying that splitting in itself wasn't the issue, unsafe overtaking in general was. Seems pretty fair.
    Well here's the headline of the article *Call for motorcyclists to stop 'lane splitting' overtaking after 10 riders die in January *. Care to show me the number of riders killed whilst lane splitting?

Bike
    none yet
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasherfromwayback View Post
    Well here's the headline of the article *Call for motorcyclists to stop 'lane splitting' overtaking after 10 riders die in January *. Care to show me the number of riders killed whilst lane splitting?
    🤷 quite a minor point in the scheme of the whole article I think. Stuff isn't a bastion of good journalism.
    Made you look

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Moi View Post
    Assistant commissioner for road policing Sandra Venables said half of the motorcycle deaths had been caused by dangerous overtaking, and she urged motorcyclists not to take unnecessary risks.
    That has been known for some time ...

there's a big difference between lane splitting in a sensible manner and a dangerous overtaking manoeuvre, although both involve an element of risk.
    Lane splitting IS overtaking ...

Biggest issue with lane splitting is that NZ drivers can not drive to the left of the road or the left of their lane...
    And Motorcyclists are not allowed to overtake on the left of vehicles in their lane ... and the picture in the article seems to show them doing so.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by johcar View Post
    How would that information affect the content and meaning of the article.

Higher ACC levy's than other vehicles give us no excuse to ride dangerously. If we do ... we only prove their point ... as ACC levy's are based on their belief (with good reason) that motorcycling is dangerous.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    I spent the last half an hour writing a comment to add to the stuff article, but it looks like the comments closed while I was doing so. I'll paste the comment in here, so that it wasn't a complete waste of time and effort.

-----------------------------

As a motorcyclist, I can see this from both points of view. There's nothing wrong with lane splitting, as long as it is done safely, and in a way where you always have an escape route should it be required.

Personally, I don't usually lane split unless the traffic is going slower than around 20 km/h. On the occasions where I do lane split, I find most car drivers to be courteous, and a lot of them make extra room for me as I pass (I'll give you a wave to say thanks if it is safe to do so). Of course there's always one or two morons who think it's a good idea to intentionally impede my progress, open car doors, change lanes without checking or indicating etc. But, by and large, lane splitting is a simple and pain free experience.

Most motorcyclists also split sensibly. However, a very small minority give the rest of us a bad name. Unfortunately, motorcycling does attract a certain amount of risk takers, but it doesn't mean we're all like that. For every genuinely idiotic motorcyclist that you see on the road, there's dozens of others trying to make their way to their destination as safely as possible.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter whether you're a car driver, a motorcyclist, or you're driving a truck or a bus, we all have a responsibility to drive/ride safely, give 100% attention to our driving/riding, and do our absolute best to ensure that everybody arrives at their destination safely, and as painlessly as possible. If we all did that, all of the time, the roads would be much safer for everybody.

Thread Information