Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Overtaking another bike

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    Here's a reply from a riding instructor.

Positioning is a product of many things.

Including moving over when someone wants to overtake.

Positioning is a product of many things. And rarely involves simply adopting a rigid, unchanging lateral location within a lane.
    The whole lane is there to be used - so use it.

One of the big differences between cars and bikes is the ability of a bike to use lane width to gain a better view of what's ahead.
    It's a bonus which could save your life.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    It never ceases to frustrate and disappoint me when I follow a rider who adopts a constant lateral lane position regardless of what is going on around them.

I failed a guy on a CBTA 6F test a few months back as for the duration of the ride he was glued to the right hand wheel track.

Bike
    motocompo
    It never ceases to frustrate and disappoint me when I follow a rider who adopts a constant lateral lane position regardless of what is going on around them.

I failed a guy on a CBTA 6F test a few months back as for the duration of the ride he was glued to the right hand wheel track.
    But you have to admit, that is the smartest default position when riding, but refusing to ride anywhere else isint.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    But you have to admit, that is the smartest default position when riding, but refusing to ride anywhere else isint.
    Here's a wee clip from every course I've ever run.

The right hand wheel track is my default position in the absence of a reason to the contrary.

Reasons to the contrary include factiring in surface appraisal, visibility and buffering.

I'll extend that to include me moving over to let someone overtake, given the current thread.

Allowing someone to overtake doesn't diminish my self respect or ego. I don't care if someone I don't know, riding a bike I don't care about, overtakes me.

In fact, I'd rather they did. That way I don't have to tolerate them following too closely.

Bike
    Ninja 300
    Yeah, with 20tonne semi coming towards me I know what part of the lane I'd wana move to

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by KezzaCFC View Post
    Yeah, with 20tonne semi coming towards me I know what part of the lane I'd wana move to
    Like I said, default position.

Bike
    motocompo

I'll extend that to include me moving over to let someone overtake, given the current thread.

Allowing someone to overtake doesn't diminish my self respect or ego. I don't care if someone I don't know, riding a bike I don't care about, overtakes me.

In fact, I'd rather they did. That way I don't have to tolerate them following too closely.
    I've had a massive shift in thinking there since I stopped going to work every day.
    I'm not so wired up when I get in the car & time management, (read hurrying everywhere) doesn't factor so large in my life anymore.
    In my car, I find I'm travelling about 5kmh slower on the highways (and about 30kmh slower in the Paparas) as a result, I'm not catching people up & then having to pass, im much calmer company & probably far less likely to die from a heart attack or from traffic crash trauma.
    I'm now the guy that couldn't care less if you want to go flying past, wear your tyres out & waste petrol, I'm on my own buzz, which I can tell you from expierence, is a far calmer one.

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Here's a wee clip from every course I've ever run.

The right hand wheel track is my default position in the absence of a reason to the contrary.

Reasons to the contrary include factoring in surface appraisal, visibility and buffering.

And for those of us who do pictures better than words...*

* ignoring the bits that are funny pommie road rules...

Bike
    suzuki
    I've had a massive shift in thinking there since I stopped going to work every day.
    I'm not so wired up when I get in the car & time management, (read hurrying everywhere) doesn't factor so large in my life anymore.
    In my car, I find I'm travelling about 5kmh slower on the highways (and about 30kmh slower in the Paparas) as a result, I'm not catching people up & then having to pass, im much calmer company & probably far less likely to die from a heart attack or from traffic crash trauma.
    I'm now the guy that couldn't care less if you want to go flying past, wear your tyres out & waste petrol, I'm on my own buzz, which I can tell you from expierence, is a far calmer one.
    sounds like you've joined the pipe and slippers brigade

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Door zone. I forgot to mention the door zone.

Don't position yourself within 2 metres of a parked car. That's the door zone. It's dangerous.

Coincidentally it's also where we exoect cyclists to ride. To the extent that a lot of cycle lanes are painted in the door zone.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    sounds like you've joined the pipe and slippers brigade
    Has he bought a BMW?

Bike
    1976 Honda GL1000, plus implements
    Quote Originally Posted by Moi View Post
    And for those of us who do pictures better than words...*

* ignoring the bits that are funny pommie road rules...
    That guy sounds really good and clear

I want the same helmet he's got...
    High miles, engine knock, rusty chrome, worn pegs...
    Brakes as new

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Andy View Post
    That guy sounds really good and clear

I want the same helmet he's got...
    I think he tells which helmet he wears on his website...

PS. To the Kber who suggested that "it's England, they're good drivers there"... I'd suggest that they are TAUGHT to drive.

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    From my 7 years in the UK/Ireland, I found drivers there were more courteous than here, and road discipline much higher.
    They also have proper motorways, dual carriageway A roads and minor B roads. Urban roads are narrow to start with and even more so with cars parked on both side. Mirror bashing in my company car was a common occurrence and no one got twisted out of shape over it either.

If you want to find an equivalent to NZ driving and road quality its more like Portugal or Greece.

I only got knocked off my BMW once on the South Circular when lane splitting and a car came out of side road. My own fault.
    Bike was a bit damaged but my slippers were fine.
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    Door zone. I forgot to mention the door zone.

Don't position yourself within 2 metres of a parked car. That's the door zone. It's dangerous.

Coincidentally it's also where we exoect cyclists to ride. To the extent that a lot of cycle lanes are painted in the door zone.

Thread Information