Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: demerits is it worth it?

Bike
    sofiathomsons123

demerits is it worth it?

went to New plymouth on Friday last got a ticket for speeding
    dam it. now this is my story.
    doing 105 ish down a big steep hill just before the awakino gorge some place starting with M but anyway this hill three lanes down hill anyway saw the 50klms temp for road works but rounded a gentle right and pinged at 81 klms not more than 100m in the zone. $300 plus 40 merit points.
    I was real nice to the man but he hit me anyway.
    so I recon I was real hard done by this time but is it worth writing to the police and point out the sillyness of it all?
    Has anyone here ever got a let off for writing in to the police? if so how did you do it? were you greasing or firm whats the secret?
    of shall I just pay up and move on? is a court hearing expensive and how much? If there are any traffic Police listening
    F**K UP frankly

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Good luck.

As I read your post.

You saw a 50 km road works sign, ignored it and got pinged for doing 81.

Which part do you think you'll get off?

In your defense just about everyone ignores road works speed signs.

Oh and I'd not mention the bit about doing 105 when you write in - they may send another fine.

Bike
    It was on the good
    There are always a couple of potential loop holes when it comes to temporary speed limits but you just said you saw the 50 signs and were done for 81km/h after you passed them. What you hoping to get off with?

EDIT - Beaten to it, I type too slow.

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Wow, there are so many ways this thread could go...my money is on some abuse within the first page followed by Cassiner within the first four and then moderation to remove the posts abusing Cassiner.
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by sofiathomsons123 View Post
    doing 105 ish
    can you be more accurate please?

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    I've written 3 or 4 letters and got off twice.

I'd suggest emphasising that you were in the process of slowing down from 100. It's a bit unfair to ping you just into a temporary speed limit as nearly everyone takes their time slowing down, but I wouldn't recommend that argument. Just state clearly and accurately what happened.

Good luck!

Bike
    ES XTZ
    Radar dectector would probably been worth it...

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    It's a bit unfair to ping you just into a temporary speed limit as nearly everyone takes their time slowing down,!
    That's why signs are red and white, with black numbers, so you can see them even before you get to them.

If you start slowing down when you first see them the "it's not fair" argument looks a little insignificant.

We have developed an expectation of tolerance. For this reason tend to ride within the tolerance.

The speed in the OP is well above the tolerance. Save the price of the stamp. Suck it up.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    That's why signs are red and white, with black numbers, so you can see them even before you get to them.

If you start slowing down when you first see them the "it's not fair" argument looks a little insignificant.

We have developed an expectation of tolerance. For this reason tend to ride within the tolerance.

The speed in the OP is well above the tolerance. Save the price of the stamp. Suck it up.
    I was just answering the OP's question as to whether it's worth writing a letter.

Regardless, to be 30 over a temporary speed limit is putting yourself in a position to be pinged.

Bike
    Street Triple R + Yamaha R3
    Off topic but related: I wish the police would focus on the temporary speed limits when there's roadworks on the Auckland motorway at night. It's bloody dangerous trying to do the temporary 50 km/h limit when everyone else is whizzing by at 100 km/h.

I now only feel safe to slow down to about 70 km/h for these signs because it is just too dangerous to go any slower. I'd rather have a ticket than be rear-ended by a car moving 50km/h faster than me.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Bike
    1976 Honda GL1000, plus implements
    About the scariest job I ever had was working on the road.
    Working around trip hazards only a metre away from cars doing 70 or more really keeps you on your toes.
    Some days you just couldn't turn your back to the traffic for fear of some cunt not slowing down and running out of time to merge.
    We nearly had a disaster one day when the only thing between us and a car that came through the taper, was our mate with a shovel. And he had it ready to swing at the windscreen. We didn't even know it had happened till he told us, you can't hear a thing on the motorway.

Since those days I always look carefully at closures, and do what the signs say. Sometimes the signage is poor or badly placed, sometimes too many cones or too little with a bad layout, and sometimes closures are left unattended when they probably should have been taken down.
    But you never know...

Pay the fine and don't do it again.

And if you ever find yourself in a pub with road workers, buy them all a beer.
    High miles, engine knock, rusty chrome, worn pegs...
    Brakes as new

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    I've got a fair bit of sympathy for the OP - sounds a lot like the cop found a juicy spot to ping lots of people - but as stated, 30+ over the limit. Difficult to argue. If you do write in let us know how it goes?

Bike
    less than I used to have
    ...'two wrongs don't make a right', as the old adage goes...irrespective of what road rule we get pinged for, it seems that we expect our transgressions to be more weighted to our side of the story than what their side is...this doesn't sound like an open road revenue gathering thing more a specific safety thing centering around hazards...maybe a little less rider/driver entitlement and a little more thought as to why there is a temporary speed limit at that point is required...

Bike
    It was on the good
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    I've written 3 or 4 letters and got off twice.
    When I first saw your username when you started on KB I thought here we go, someone sponsored by ACC or MCSAC to post safety related party line dribble. Clearly not the case and for that I apologise.

Bike
    R1200RT LC

Free Ticket Avoidance Advice

Tips On How To Avoid Having To Post Woe About Tickets On KB

Don't do stuff that provides an opportunity for an enthusiastic Popo to record your details on an invoice.

Simple, really.

Don't want speeding tickets? Don't speed.

Don't want seatbelt tickets? Wear your seatbelt.

Don't want cellphone tickets? Stay off your cellphone while riding/driving.

Don't want tickets for not stopping at stop signs? Stop. Don't just slow down or pause, actually stop.

Don't want tickets for riding like a plonker? Don't ride like a plonker.

Following these tips would go a long way to save internet bandwidth discussing how to get off tickets.

Thread Information