Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: New Biker Needs Help

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDGT
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    Yup, leaving in a week. Follow our progress on the Carl Cox Motorsport FB page.
    I don't really know what FB means, but Im told that's what to say
    Front Bum?
    Political Correctness, the chief weapon of whiney arse bastards

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Moi View Post
    I think this sentence may disqualify it as a LAMS bike: Perfect inexpensive LAMs learner bike with true Ducati style and awesome sound from slightly modified mufflers.
    The catchwords are ... "No modifications that lighten or increase the power of the motorcycle".

Aftermarket exhaust systems are allowed if the original systems are no longer available.

And to be honest ... I know of no riders that have been ticketed as such ... for a breach of the Conditions of license.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    moped
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    Yup, leaving in a week. Follow our progress on the Carl Cox Motorsport FB page.
    I don't really know what FB means, but Im told that's what to say
    Catch up with you over there (Grandbra) , arriving on the 16th.

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    The catchwords are ... "No modifications that lighten or increase the power of the motorcycle".

Aftermarket exhaust systems are allowed if the original systems are no longer available.

And to be honest ... I know of no riders that have been ticketed as such ... for a breach of the Conditions of license.
    I wasn't thinking so much as licence issues, more as an issue with insurance. If the aftermarket exhaust lightened the bike or by removing a few baffles to improve the sound or replacing with a noisier exhaust improved the power output then he might have issues with an insurance company should he need to call on their assistance.

However, the OP did state that insurance wasn't top of his list of "things to buy" when he gets a bike... so he'd not have that problem... just the other person's insurance going for his wallet...

It could also be interesting if he struck a WoF inspector who started to question things...

Bike
    Dad's garage (That I'm allowed to touch)

new bikerbroh needs helpbroh!

supbroh, ya got ya bikebroh? You need gearbroh, don't look like a squidbroh.
    $200 LS2 full face helmetbroh.
    $400 fo a textile RST jacketbroh.
    $250 fo stylemartin bootsbroh.
    $150 RST glovesbroh.
    $300 fo yo pantsbroh.
    $500 fo yo regobroh.
    $500+ fo yo insurancebroh.

then budget for yo bikebroh.

Don't be an amatuer, get rider trainingbroh.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    I wasn't thinking so much as licence issues, more as an issue with insurance. If the aftermarket exhaust lightened the bike or by removing a few baffles to improve the sound or replacing with a noisier exhaust improved the power output then he might have issues with an insurance company should he need to call on their assistance.
    The actual wording is " these motorcycles must be in standard form as produced by the manufacturer. They cannot be modified in any way to increase the power-to-weight ratio".
    This could require proof of intent to break the condition of license rules.

However, the OP did state that insurance wasn't top of his list of "things to buy" when he gets a bike... so he'd not have that problem... just the other person's insurance going for his wallet...
    Insurance issues should not be an issue if the levy's were paid. Most policies aren't even reliant on all laws being obeyed. (eg: SPEED)

It could also be interesting if he struck a WoF inspector who started to question things...
    LAM's rules are NOT part of ANY WOF check list. Nor are they required to check the license status of those presenting vehicles to them for a WOF check.

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    ... Insurance issues should not be an issue if the levy's were paid. Most policies aren't even reliant on all laws being obeyed. (eg: SPEED)
    I was thinking along the lines of... he has a crash and makes a claim and the insurance declines his claim because the bike has been modified and they have not been told...

But what the heck, he's the one who has to deal with whatever happens...

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    I was thinking along the lines of... he has a crash and makes a claim and the insurance declines his claim because the bike has been modified and they have not been told...

But what the heck, he's the one who has to deal with whatever happens...
    It probably might be worth asking the insurance rep about it though. But not our problem.

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoonicorn View Post
    supbroh, ya got ya bikebroh? You need gearbroh, don't look like a squidbroh.
    $200 LS2 full face helmetbroh.
    $400 fo a textile RST jacketbroh.
    $250 fo stylemartin bootsbroh.
    $150 RST glovesbroh.
    $300 fo yo pantsbroh.
    $500 fo yo regobroh.
    $500+ fo yo insurancebroh.

then budget for yo bikebroh.

Don't be an amatuer, get rider trainingbroh.

Chur bro, at this rate the noob be going to see his grandbra for a handout of pingers...

Bike
    Dad's garage (That I'm allowed to touch)
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    Chur bro, at this rate the noob be going to see his grandbra for a handout of pingers...
    Probably.

Then they might realise that gear, insurance and registration can be expensive and may take a second look at the bikes being recommended here.

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoonicorn View Post
    Probably.

Then they might realise that gear, insurance and registration can be expensive and may take a second look at the bikes being recommended here.
    Or go for a cheap Jap import car...

Bike
    CB1300
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    Or go for a cheap Jap import car...
    Play nice.
    OP identifies as living in Auckland... that's bad enough without also driving a car on the regular. Rofl.

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post
    Play nice.
    OP identifies as living in Auckland... that's bad enough without also driving a car on the regular. Rofl.
    My apologies, what was I thinking...

Bike
    motocompo
    Looks like the op has scarpered on account of not receiving the kind of support & advice he had planned on.
    No doubt there will be a Facebook thread requesting a group hug & a givealittle page to help raise money so he can buy a bike that doesn't cause unnecessary embarrassment Because of it being too old & not Italian.
    It will also require a few paid days of leave under the new domestic violence legislation & flexible hours to locate a bike that fits the criteria.
    What did he think he was going to get here, it's not Facebook.

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    They are right about buying an old bike, I gave my Son a ride on my LAMS Triumph 650 but he decided that technology had improved since 1953 and he would stick with his Hyo 650 that he toured the SI on last Summer....bloody ungrateful millennial and his snapchat Ubereats

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0040 (2).jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	789.1 KB 
ID:	337715
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Thread Information