Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: A Revival Mission...

Bike
    Exercycle
    Aircraft Logistics are supplying. No Husa, I didn't know him - but he knows Neil....I suspect everybody in the light aircraft world in NZ knows Neil.

FWIW, He's NZ agent for Aircraft Spruce stuff. I've seen them mentioned on the ESE thread as carrying some good stuff.

Bike
    Exercycle
    Just tidying minor stuff now. The battery box had been lowered in the subframe at some point by adding a couple of rusty mild steel straps - and a couple of cable ties. Can't remember what battery it was built around but obviously when it came time for replacement, it was dearer than optimum so a taller one went in. Did it proper now with alloy and stainless extension mounts.
    Deleted two of the three engine breathers. Only the one from the OE position top of the gearbox left now. Tidied up the top of the motor noticeably.

Town tomorrow for more Doctor so I'll pick up some 4-5mm nylon sheet for the shark fin.

Dzus buttons should arrive shortly so the seat can go on which will make firing it on rollers quite a bit more comfortable...

Bike
    Exercycle
    To all intents and purposes finished and ready to be fired. NPD 100 on hand....

Still to refit the fairings. Must look at the signwriting on the lower. As previous pic, it was black writing on a broad white band.
    I'm of a mind to replace with a white vinyl strip with the lettering lasercut out. Dark red will look like black from a distance.
    The original was poster paint and removed when the Budget partnership broke up.

Then of course fresh rubber. What's on it dates from the Brighton outing in 1992.

The seat and tank are both oxy-acetylene welded alloy fabrications. My good mate Gary did them both. He's back in business now so I should probably get him to remove the odd dent and stone pimple then get a mould off the seat. It's just a generic 80's breadbox shape I sketched for him - but it's quite a pleasing shape without any immediate associations with a particular brand. I'd certainly like to use this shape again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Finished 500 1.JPG 
Views:	50 
Size:	198.9 KB 
ID:	339187   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Finished 500 2.JPG 
Views:	69 
Size:	203.1 KB 
ID:	339188  

Bike
    motocompo
    I've thoroughly enjoyed following this build. It's only taken you two & a bit months, which must be some kind of record. Kasper the K100 took me two & a half years.
    Ok, drag the next one out while you still have our attention.
    What size are the tyres?

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    I've thoroughly enjoyed following this build. It's only taken you two & a bit months, which must be some kind of record. Kasper the K100 took me two & a half years.
    Ok, drag the next one out while you still have our attention.
    What size are the tyres?
    Shit, I could have done this one with my eyes closed...at several times in the past when it was in regular use, I probably have.....

Rubber will turn up. It's on 17's - 3 1/2 front and 4 1/2 rear so 120 and 160 section tyres. Mark reckoned he had a new front in his stock when I spoke to him.

Next build scheduled is another twin, build from scratch - but a 250. Pre 82, plus eligible for CAMS 150/250 class. Collected everything I need now, just time and enthusiasm needed. Oh and refill the gas bottles too.
    I don't actually have access to a stock of unrestored bikes, sorry.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    That bodywork makes it look real smart. Nice effort.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    Shit, I could have done this one with my eyes closed...at several times in the past when it was in regular use, I probably have.....

Rubber will turn up. It's on 17's - 3 1/2 front and 4 1/2 rear so 120 and 160 section tyres. Mark reckoned he had a new front in his stock when I spoke to him.

Next build scheduled is another twin, build from scratch - but a 250. Pre 82, plus eligible for CAMS 150/250 class. Collected everything I need now, just time and enthusiasm needed. Oh and refill the gas bottles too.
    I have a few good slightly used 120 front Pirelli slicks, the rear is a tad small for me, I have 180's if that would go on, free and hand delivered of course.
    I am happy to send you bikes for refurbishment upon request. What about a S Rad Suzuki to build before the next classic TT? Can deliver. (I'm actually serious) or would you prefer the RC30 packed into fish bins?

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    That bodywork makes it look real smart. Nice effort.
    Thanks Dave. The pic I can't find is the CB350 Gary did for the late Maurie Smith here in ChCh. Polished alloy seat, tank and fairing. Stunning.
    Maurie had played around with rephasing the crank too so it was pretty special. Maurie sold it to the US where we were told, once developed a bit more it had a class win at AHRMA Daytona. The alloywork got a lot of comment.
    I've always rated Gary's work right up with the local legends like Steve Roberts and Robin Officer.

Bike
    Enough that the car lives outside now.

I've found the 160's seem to be a touch big for 4 1/2's (on the 750 they leave a 1cm chicken strip even with someone useful riding it) so if you do have to go buy new, don't discount 150's as an option to consider. Dave Freeman used to regularly race on a 150 on the 4 1/2 on his pre 82 postie GSX. Bridgestone do their new R11 (which are soft as buggery) and they are a pretty good price ($279 retail vs left kidney for the Pirelli = $409 retail)

Bike
    husaberg
    Thanks Dave. The pic I can't find is the CB350 Gary did for the late Maurie Smith here in ChCh. Polished alloy seat, tank and fairing. Stunning.
    I am guessing he did Brian Humms seat on the Cheney as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    I have a few good slightly used 120 front Pirelli slicks, the rear is a tad small for me, I have 180's if that would go on, free and hand delivered of course.
    I am happy to send you bikes for refurbishment upon request. What about a S Rad Suzuki to build before the next classic TT? Can deliver. (I'm actually serious) or would you prefer the RC30 packed into fish bins?
    RC30 packed into fish bins?!??!

send it to me.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by malcy25 View Post
    I've found the 160's seem to be a touch big for 4 1/2's (on the 750 they leave a 1cm chicken strip even with someone useful riding it) so if you do have to go buy new, don't discount 150's as an option to consider. Dave Freeman used to regularly race on a 150 on the 4 1/2 on his pre 82 postie GSX. Bridgestone do their new R11 (which are soft as buggery) and they are a pretty good price ($279 retail vs left kidney for the Pirelli = $409 retail)
    Point taken. Dave''s had the 'arris down here a couple of times - but has had a 5.5 rear in it every time I've seen it....
    This thing is narrow enough with everything tucked well in that it gets to the edge of a 160, no probs.

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    I am guessing he did Brian Humms seat on the Cheney as well.
    I think so, yes. He did a few interesting bits and bobs around that period. Then dropped out of bikes for some time.

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    RC30 packed into fish bins?!??!

send it to me.
    Only until Dukic does the suspension, but I'll swap you some pics of it for some pics of your NC30, if You still have it.
    I may have found an engine builder for the RC via the PM system though.

Bike
    Enough that the car lives outside now.
    Point taken. Dave''s had the 'arris down here a couple of times - but has had a 5.5 rear in it every time I've seen it....
    This thing is narrow enough with everything tucked well in that it gets to the edge of a 160, no probs.
    Lol, I'll have him on if he's burgling it in pre 82. He may have the bigger rim when it's open up to pre 89 and no pre 82 maybe (Like the GP was a couple of years ago).

Good to see the 500 in the sun light!

Thread Information