Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: A Revival Mission...

Bike
    Exercycle
    Well, thanks to the generosity of Rob - who now earns the title "sponsor" - there's a chain on it and oil in it....The water I could afford myself.

If I'd felt better today, it may have had a kick in the guts and been fired up.
    As things stand, I'll sort out some Dzus buttons for the seat and fairing next week in town which should make it rideable.

Had a quick Google to see if the article on Tony's bike was on line. Couldn't find it but did find this pic. I've been in that workshop, LOL.
    Tony and Amanda and the 500 special. Pic is dated '88 so it's the final version. 2:1 pipe and frame with an extra 1in high box piece welded around the top as a brace. In the first season, Tony complained it felt a bit vague...Both Mark and I had a ride at the GP practise day at Ruapuna - Tony had a ride on my one too.
    Anyway, Mark agreed but couldn't pin point the problem. First time I put it into the Ruapuna esses hard the front end nearly walked me right off the track...But I was then and still am about 20kg heavier than Mark and about 30 heavier than Tony...So I'd loaded the frame up much more than either of them.
    Without a VFR750 lump bolted into it on solid mounts it was flexy as fuck.
    I believe the bike still exists. Billie said at one point he knew where it was. Be good to see it going again.
    Amanda was a Pharmacy tutor. I told her what i'd found on Toluene and oxygen bearing fuels generally. She did further research and turned into a very good fuel engineer indeed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	50078-max.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	217.3 KB 
ID:	339082  

Bike
    suzuki
    i rode that bike to the brass monkey two up when it was a vfr750, my Darmah let me down late in the peice and my mate said hop on, shared the riding most of the trip too

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    i rode that bike to the brass monkey two up when it was a vfr750, my Darmah let me down late in the peice and my mate said hop on, shared the riding most of the trip too
    I'd heard it was a Wellington bike in it's first life. What happened that Tony finished up with the frame ?

Bike
    suzuki
    https://www.google.co.nz/maps/@-39.9...7i13312!8i6656 the guy was trying to pull a wheelie and hit the hospice shop, it's a long way from the corner he came out of, that's in wangavegas

Bike
    Exercycle
    Well, I've had an interesting day...Went looking for about 10 Dzus buttons, the shortest 3/8in shank version. These were once the most common of all...

Anyway, Reid & Twiname no longer have the agency - referred me to "Pattersons" This was R J Patterson panelbeaters supplies from whom I've bought buttons previously. Well, they've moved and changed name - now RJP. A "long term" staff member declined all knowledge of Dzus fasteners - "never had them" interesting...So, google Dzus fasteners in ChCh and come up with some names. Some of whom were mentioned in the last thread on here about fairing fasteners. Even with their listing on google saying they carried them, three declined all knowledge of them...again interesting.
    Finally found a fastener co - one man band - who knew what I wanted and immediately referred me to one of the failures - "they carry them in stainless".
    He was interested in that firms denial...Anyway, he's seeing what he can find for me.

A mate from speedway referred me to The Edge performance shop in Hornby. Yes, they carry Dzus buttons, yes, they had what I wanted - but sold the last of their stock that morning....And are not restocking till Christmas. Bugger me, season's just starting and that's the most popular size and they don't have any.
    Don't think much of that business model...

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    Well, I've had an interesting day...Went looking for about 10 Dzus buttons, the shortest 3/8in shank version. These were once the most common of all...

Anyway, Reid & Twiname no longer have the agency - referred me to "Pattersons" This was R J Patterson panelbeaters supplies from whom I've bought buttons previously. Well, they've moved and changed name - now RJP. A "long term" staff member declined all knowledge of Dzus fasteners - "never had them" interesting...So, google Dzus fasteners in ChCh and come up with some names. Some of whom were mentioned in the last thread on here about fairing fasteners. Even with their listing on google saying they carried them, three declined all knowledge of them...again interesting.
    Finally found a fastener co - one man band - who knew what I wanted and immediately referred me to one of the failures - "they carry them in stainless".
    He was interested in that firms denial...Anyway, he's seeing what he can find for me.

A mate from speedway referred me to The Edge performance shop in Hornby. Yes, they carry Dzus buttons, yes, they had what I wanted - but sold the last of their stock that morning....And are not restocking till Christmas. Bugger me, season's just starting and that's the most popular size and they don't have any.
    Rangavegas Cheap prices too
    https://www.aircraftlogistics.co.nz/...zus-fasterners

Dunedin
    http://www.racesupplies.co.nz/produc...race-fasteners

Aukland
    https://www.flamecrusher.com/category?CatID=40

dzus like
    http://www.cycletreads.co.nz/product...astners_d.aspx
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    Street Triple R

aliexpress to the rescue

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Dzus...waAlbHEALw_wcB
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Dunno if this is what you are after - Dzus -information always seem elusive
    otherwise I might have used them myself

http://www.edlfast.co.nz/products/in...result/?q=dzus

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    motocompo
    I'll PM you Bernie Gillon's cell number from flamecrusher.
    He's going through a major transition at the mo & I'd be fairly sure his landline won't work, but I'm sure he will have what you need.
    Get him to drop them to me if you do a deal.

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by eldog View Post
    Dunno if this is what you are after - Dzus -information always seem elusive
    otherwise I might have used them myself

http://www.edlfast.co.nz/products/in...result/?q=dzus
    One of the ones who denied all knowledge....

Thanks everyone. Plenty of leads I didn't know about.

Bike
    Enough that the car lives outside now.
    One of the ones who denied all knowledge....

Thanks everyone. Plenty of leads I didn't know about.
    Had same problem earlier this year - chased all over with an example and all the places that showed they sold them (including EDL) , "yeah,......nah".....ended up buy out of UK (where these came from fitted to some bodywork I bought). I found with a bit or searching a spec sheet that showed dimensions and product codes which made life easier.

Hope you find some in the end.

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by malcy25 View Post
    Had same problem earlier this year - chased all over with an example and all the places that showed they sold them (including EDL) , "yeah,......nah".....ended up buy out of UK (where these came from fitted to some bodywork I bought). I found with a bit or searching a spec sheet that showed dimensions and product codes which made life easier.

Hope you find some in the end.
    Oh, I will. the Rangiora one Husa posted can have them for me in 10days - but I'm following up others just out of sheer cussedness.
    I've been appalled at the shit level of knowledge in the fastener trade now.

Bike
    husaberg
    Oh, I will. the Rangiora one Husa posted can have them for me in 10days - but I'm following up others just out of sheer cussedness.
    I've been appalled at the shit level of knowledge in the fastener trade now.
    You must know someone that works as a aircraft mechanic bet they have boxfulls of them.
    Seems pretty shit all arround i noticed that the electrical trade use them as well.
    maybe walk into the place that is meant to have them with a picture or a example they might just call them something different?
    Isnt Dzus actually the manufacturer name?

here is some similar qd stuff from nz
    https://www.comac.co.nz/modules/SP_w...s.php?cat=2246

rs components also stock Dzus but for the electrical trade.

http://www.jtctools.co.nz/
    IN CHCH
    these guys are meant to be a distributor
    But i cant find them on the webpage but they are local
    transport tools and parts
    22 Byron St Sydenham Christchurch 8023
    (Corner Byron & Hawden Sts)
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    It's all retail. When I walk into a shop I should be the stupidest person there for product knowledge (instead of just in general) . But I'm constantly finding I'm better informed just through experience or 5min on Google than they are of their own product line.

Just occasionally like a breath of fresh air. . . But usually sheesh!
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    It's all retail. When I walk into a shop I should be the stupidest person there for product knowledge (instead of just in general) . But I'm constantly finding I'm better informed just through experience or 5min on Google than they are of their own product line.

Just occasionally like a breath of fresh air. . . But usually sheesh!
    Yeah, which is why, when I've found a good knowledgeable supplier, I stick with them.
    Locally, Blacks fasteners impress me. At the height of the rebuild, you'd go in and it was full of guys getting huge bolts for structural work. More than once I saw a staff member say "No, that's not what you'd use. For that job this is what's wanted" I couldn't fault their material selection either...
    They know me now - and don't argue, LOL.

Thread Information