Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Farewell ST1050 and some sad news

Bike
    So old you won't care

Farewell ST1050 and some sad news

Well its gone... First guy turned up and we ended up arguing about the price... He won and gave me $500 more than I was asking...

After making this the bike Triumph should have made vis Robert Taylor why sell? Fact is we were not using it so much as mainly Vicki was stuggling to enjoy it even as a pillion.

Talk about a journey we have been on... You seriously wouldnt believe it BUT we now have a diagnosis and sadly it is not a kind one we wanted and sadly our world is now narrowing.. Vicki has been diagnosed with FTD Syndrome (semantic variant) which is essentially a dementia that strikes people early and its neither treatable nor survivable...

However when shes out on her mountain bike or the CX bikes the lights come back on and 10 years drop away and so thats where we are concentrating..

The $$ will go a long way to say a trip to Whistler MTB park or similar... People talk about bucket lists but living them is another thing altogther..

I know some of you have met Vicki and realise what an amazing woman she is and perhaps you can understand how cruel this is. However it is what it is. 40 odd years ago when we made our vows this was the in sickness and health bit we signed up for and you can be assured that what I can humanly do will be done to keep my darling Vicki going...

We are devastated but we will keep on riding with the TR6C (where she is seriously happy) and of course the bicycles...

Dont delay folks - live life to the fullest because you never know...

Bike
    77 XL250
    Fuck. Hang in there and don't hesitate to lean on friends when you need to.
    The best way to forget all your troubles is to wear tight underpants.

Bike
    Goose
    Paul, much love and support for you and your family. Stay strong and be kind to yourself. Lean on your friends and ask for help God knows you've both been paying it forward for many years.

Much love, Hels xx
    "Some people are like clouds, once they fuck off, it's a great day!"

Bike
    So old you won't care
    Quote Originally Posted by Str8 Jacket View Post
    Paul, much love and support for you and your family. Stay strong and be kind to yourself. Lean on your friends and ask for help God knows you've both been paying it forward for many years.

Much love, Hels xx
    Actually from you Helen that means more than anything... thank you

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Sorry to hear. Enjoy the time you have together.

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Very sorry to read this terrible news about Vicki, Much love/strength and courage to you both in the time you have left together.

Bike
    2015 Aprilia Tuono Factory
    Sad news, I'm very sorry. Dementia is a cruel illness.

Cheers

Bike
    1994 VFR750F, 2006 XR250L
    Sorry to hear this Paul. Best wishes to Vicki and for sure make the trip to Whistler
    Cheers

Merv

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Hang in there. Your attitude is inspiring.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    2015 Aprilia Shiver
    Not nice news, but a very appropriate response!
    Wishing you both all the best,
    Bob

Bike
    R100GSPD
    All the best mate.I dont know you but that is not important here.Look after yourself too

Bike
    Triumph Sprint ST
    Kia Kaha Paul & Vicky and your family
    Ola

Bike
    Indian Scout
    I'm lost for words Paul. There you and Vicki were at the gym days ago. We chatted, Vicki smiled goodbye as you both walked out the door, just like any other ordinary happy couple.

Shocked and our thoughts are with you for the tough days ahead unfortunately. My Dad died in November from Alzheimer's so I have some understanding of how it plays out.
    As you said, embrace every moment of life. It is short.
    If there is anything us locals can do - ASK away.
    Best wishes
    Mark
    Happiness is a means of travel, not a destination

Bike
    So old you won't care
    Quote Originally Posted by MD View Post
    I'm lost for words Paul. There you and Vicki were at the gym days ago. We chatted, Vicki smiled goodbye as you both walked out the door, just like any other ordinary happy couple.

Shocked and our thoughts are with you for the tough days ahead unfortunately. My Dad died in November from Alzheimer's so I have some understanding of how it plays out.
    As you said, embrace every moment of life. It is short.
    If there is anything us locals can do - ASK away.
    Best wishes
    Mark
    Thanks Mark

Keeping going at the gym, changing diets, riding our CX/MTB's etc are all a part of our plan to slow this down to a crawl... Like you said Vicki is fine most of the time and its only when you are aware that she is loosing here language that it shows up. Eventually it progresses into the main part of the brain and yes its just like the more usual dementias then..

FTD is a reasonably new diagnosis it that its only just been unpicked from other conditions and better understood so there is not much solid info or enough data to predict progress. That said we are not letting the grass grow under our feet and sitting around moping about it... It is what it is..

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    Been a while mate, since we last said hello in the same bit of NZ, like nearly ten year ago.
    You guys most certainly deserve a big break soon, this is hard news to respond to.
    Excpet maybe that if Dorkland is a place you need to be theres room enough here for a tride if needed. Always.
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Thread Information