Thread: GPS waypoints, Far South

Bike
    Husqvarna fe 501 2016

GPS waypoints, Far South

Hi Folks

We are current planning a ride from Te Anau, Monowai, Borland Saddle to South Arm return to Manapouri and Mt Nicholas, Mavora Lakes, and wonder if any one has GPS'ed these tracks and if they would be kind enough to make them available to us.

Cheers
    Anthony

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
    Hi Folks

We are current planning a ride from Te Anau, Monowai, Borland Saddle to South Arm return to Manapouri and Mt Nicholas, Mavora Lakes, and wonder if any one has GPS'ed these tracks and if they would be kind enough to make them available to us.

Cheers
    Anthony
    Scared you'll get lost ... ???

Only one way in or out. Unless your bike floats ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    R100GSPD
    I have been to some of those places.We(my brother and I ) went into the Lake from Borland lodge.We went to Mavora Lakes right up to Careys Hut.Now the question is where are those tracks.They are track logs from my Garmin Nuvi 2797.I have some serious searching to do!

Bike
    06 Honda 919-79 T140E Triumph 96 Guzzi
    From a DOC brochure..Driving the Borland Road The mountainous, unsealed Borland Road a stunning 90 kilometre return trip from Borland Lodge to the South Arm of Lake Manapouri . The Borland Road access gate just past Borland Lodge is locked when road conditions are unsafe. Please contact the Department of Conservation in Invercargill for current road conditions before using the road – telephone 03 211 2400.The Borland Road is recommended for four wheel drive vehicles only and is NOT suitable for campervans, caravans or trailers. Vehicles are not allowed off the road. There is no fuel station, cell phone coverage or access to emergency services along the road. From the gate, the road climbs to the Borland Saddle where there is a parking area and spectacular mountain views. From the saddle the road winds down to the Grebe Valley lookout, after which it begins a very steep and narrow descent to the Grebe Valley floor and the south arm of Lake Manapouri.
    "If you ever need anything please don’t hesitate to ask someone else first.”

Anyhoo don't forget to add to calendar 19th May, 27th July, and 31 August.
    World whisky day, International whisky day, and Scotch whisky day.

Bike
    R100GSPD
    well i have found the data.They are gpx archives of a a trip we did.I dont know how the nuvis record and archive it but there seems to be duplicates .I can post those unedited gpx files here or i can make tracks in basecamp from that data,and post them here???

Bike
    R100GSPD
    the rain is very wet and the sandflies are dangerous

Bike
    Husqvarna fe 501 2016

GPS Way Points, Far South

Excellent! Thankyou. I'm a real new be to the web stuff, but keen as. If you can post in Base Camp, I should be able to sort it. Or direct to woodcraftg@xtra.co.nz

Cheers Anthony

Bike
    R100GSPD
    i can post some files here as attachments to my post.I think its best if I post them as tracks then you can do what you like with them without any dramas,as long as you have devices that can deal with tracks.

Bike
    Husqvarna fe 501 2016
    That would be great thanks.

Bike
    R100GSPD
    here are two tracks.One is Te anau to careys hut which is pretty much at the northern end of North Mavora Lake.Hut is in a nice spot but is pretty well worn and a little bit vandalised.There was also a noisy resident rat when we were there.Nice camping spots along both the southern lake and the wee river joining the two lakes
    The other is Manapouri village,Monowai pwr station.Lake Monowai,South Arm.
    The tracks may actually be the reverse order of the name I have used.
    I had to put the file in a zip file as gpx file not allowed type
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0654.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	361.0 KB 
ID:	338623   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0611.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	364.2 KB 
ID:	338624  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Bike
    Husqvarna fe 501 2016

Thank's heaps! just what we were looking for.

Bike
    R100GSPD
    i assume you have "unzipped" em and viewed them?.Never done that before .I tidied up some side trips and u turns.When we first got down there we were low on fuel thinking there may be something at Monowai...there wasnt so we went back to Mnapouri.Similarly when we were in Te Anau there was a bit of to ing and froing there.So i deleted some points and combined two or three tracks into one.
    Glad it all works for you.Was an interesting wee excercise for me too.

Bike
    Husqvarna fe 501 2016

I know what you mean, the more fiddling around with tracks you do, the more you find out. I would like to create a small library of GPS’ed tracks for people to use, somewhere on this site. Not sure how that would work. I do have a reasonable selection on my GPS, possibly similar to yourself.
    Thanks Agian

Thread Information