Thread: TL1000S Project Bike

Bike
    2018 BMW R nine T Pure

TL1000S Project Bike

Well I got my new to me TL1000S home today. I have owned a TLS before back in 2000-2003 I had a 97.

Needs a few thing sorted - wiring related. On the ride home got the F.I on the tacho aka Fault Indicator and at times it would run rough and almost stall. Once home checked the dealer fault codes - sure enough C24 Ignition signal #1 (Front cylinder) circuit malfunction. PO said the radiator fan was not working and this was fixed by a shop. I suspect either the coil is playing up or to fix the fan the wiring around the coil was damaged as the issue is intermittent.

Bike has aftermarket LED indicators installed and not to my wiring standards so this will need to be addressed when I go over the loom. But for now it will just sit in the garage as I have some tin top projects I need to finish (1970 Mini Cooper S replica - my track car, and a 1977 Datsun 260z 2 seater that needs loom work and assembly after repaint)

Plan for this bike is:

1. Sort wiring issues.
    2. Suspension improvements.
    3. Tidy/clean/paint.
    4. Front brake improvement/going over, doesn't stop as well as I recall.

That is about it - small pic all I have currently.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TL1000S.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	21.8 KB 
ID:	331193

Bike
    mutton dressed up as lamb and a 73 XL250
    Quote Originally Posted by VFR400R View Post
    Well I got my new to me TL1000S home today. I have owned a TLS before back in 2000-2003 I had a 97.

Needs a few thing sorted - wiring related. On the ride home got the F.I on the tacho aka Fault Indicator and at times it would run rough and almost stall. Once home checked the dealer fault codes - sure enough C24 Ignition signal #1 (Front cylinder) circuit malfunction. PO said the radiator fan was not working and this was fixed by a shop. I suspect either the coil is playing up or to fix the fan the wiring around the coil was damaged as the issue is intermittent.

Bike has aftermarket LED indicators installed and not to my wiring standards so this will need to be addressed when I go over the loom. But for now it will just sit in the garage as I have some tin top projects I need to finish (1970 Mini Cooper S replica - my track car, and a 1977 Datsun 260z 2 seater that needs loom work and assembly after repaint)

Plan for this bike is:

1. Sort wiring issues.
    2. Suspension improvements.
    3. Tidy/clean/paint.
    4. Front brake improvement/going over, doesn't stop as well as I recall.

That is about it - small pic all I have currently.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TL1000S.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	21.8 KB 
ID:	331193
    Like you say small pic but hey looks ok to me,congrats.On the brake thing i (years back) did the braided lines then fitted some Busa 6 pots (hard to believe but they seemed worse) and as i mentioned in the end fitted some K5/6 ? GSXR forks which are still on the thing today and work bloody well.Enjoy her mate and post up progress,had mine since forever and still puts a smile on my dial.
    Be the person your dog thinks you are...

Bike
    Fwiw fella i long ago bought a Hagon rear damper and its served me well,an option if your spring on a stick is ok.

Bike
    2018 BMW R nine T Pure
    Thanks 98tls - love those rims on your TLS (what are they?)

I am going to try the Nissin 4 pot swap first but first task will be sort the loom issues and front ignition signal/coil.

Must admit even it was running rough at times.....I do question why I sold my old one back in 2003 such a great engine and a lot more comfortable than I recall too.

Bike
    Thanks 98tls - love those rims on your TLS (what are they?)

I am going to try the Nissin 4 pot swap first but first task will be sort the loom issues and front ignition signal/coil.

Must admit even it was running rough at times.....I do question why I sold my old one back in 2003 such a great engine and a lot more comfortable than I recall too.
    Rims are Carrozzerias mate,bought em years back off a bloke in the states,around 7kg difference in weight over the oem rims,factor in rotating mass blah blah made a huge difference.

Bike
    Girlz bikes rule :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by 98tls View Post
    Fwiw fella i long ago bought a Hagon rear damper and its served me well,an option if your spring on a stick is ok.
    She still looks beautiful mate

Bike
    2018 BMW R nine T Pure
    Can't believe it is 2018 already. Well during the Stats that I was not working on got the rebuild forks back into the bike, install the BiTurbo rear shock replacing the SOAS and Rotary Damper. What a difference so far

I am pending some new front brake lines and new pins for the Nissin calipers (previous owner of the calipers.....muppet made the internal hex aka Allen Key round). The calipers had to go into the mill to remove the heads of the screw in pins - then clear the threads out and a run the tap through them again - good as new.

So the stock Tokico's and old 18 year old brake lines = spongie feel that requires too much movement for my liking - sure the bike pulls up just not quickly or with the feel I am used to. Still a lot more cosmetic tidy to do but at least it is now back on the road and legal
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180102_123754.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	835.1 KB 
ID:	334475  

Bike
    2000 Ducati 996S MY01

Thumbs up

I've always had a soft spot for the TLS and TLR... They're absolutely bonkers!!

Very nice machine mate, I'll be keeping an eye on this thread!

Bike
    Can't believe it is 2018 already. Well during the Stats that I was not working on got the rebuild forks back into the bike, install the BiTurbo rear shock replacing the SOAS and Rotary Damper. What a difference so far

I am pending some new front brake lines and new pins for the Nissin calipers (previous owner of the calipers.....muppet made the internal hex aka Allen Key round). The calipers had to go into the mill to remove the heads of the screw in pins - then clear the threads out and a run the tap through them again - good as new.

So the stock Tokico's and old 18 year old brake lines = spongie feel that requires too much movement for my liking - sure the bike pulls up just not quickly or with the feel I am used to. Still a lot more cosmetic tidy to do but at least it is now back on the road and legal
    Looking good mate.Funny when you first sit on the bike after binning the rotary eh ie it actually moves when you plant your bum.Stock 4 pots will be fine with some new lines,years back i bolted on some 6 pots off a Busa but strangely they were shite,another benefit to fitting GSXR forks were the calipers fwiw.Glad to see the old girl coming along they really are still a great bike with a bit of tlc.

Bike
    2018 BMW R nine T Pure
    So installed the RF900 nissin 4 pots and new brakelines today. Much better I can now go back to my preferred 2 finger hover and brake riding style. Brakes pull up great with this setup.

Bike
    Africa Twin DCT.
    Good to see even after the last TL1000S rolled off the production line back in 2001 they still get a mention. :

Thread Information