Thread: Returning to biking...?

Bike
    Nothing right now 😔

Returning to biking...?

Hey everyone,

First time posting so apologies if this is not quite in the right sub-forum, or if its been tabled before.

I've ridden most of my adult life, bar the last 3-years. I've had a Vespsa (old school and new), a Hornet, a 650GS and then my last bike was a Kawasaki W800. 3-years ago our little daughter came along and selling the bike coincided with that, plus a move back to NZ from OZ.

So, 3-years on and I'm not sure if its a combination of summer or that I'm simply thinking about riding and missing it but I'm seriously contemplating a return to riding. The days of telling the wife what I'm doing i.e. just going out and getting a bike after my research are sadly over. I'm actually wrestling with "is getting a bike and riding again bloody selfish/stupid, etc."

My commute here in the Waikato is 25mins in the car, which is great. So on good days I'd use the bike to nip in to work. I spend the free time I have training for ultra-marathons and don't know anyone to ride with at weekends.

I'm just wanting to ask folk if i'm missing anything i.e. at 41 and 3-years of no riding am i asking for trouble. The bikes that I have been looking at are the KTM Duke 390, the Kawa' Vulcan S, maybe a Bonneville or Scrambler but thats getting $$.

Anyway, be great to hear from folk. Cheers, Matt.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by matt_77 View Post
    Hey everyone,

First time posting so apologies if this is not quite in the right sub-forum, or if its been tabled before.

I've ridden most of my adult life, bar the last 3-years. I've had a Vespsa (old school and new), a Hornet, a 650GS and then my last bike was a Kawasaki W800. 3-years ago our little daughter came along and selling the bike coincided with that, plus a move back to NZ from OZ.

So, 3-years on and I'm not sure if its a combination of summer or that I'm simply thinking about riding and missing it but I'm seriously contemplating a return to riding. The days of telling the wife what I'm doing i.e. just going out and getting a bike after my research are sadly over. I'm actually wrestling with "is getting a bike and riding again bloody selfish/stupid, etc."

My commute here in the Waikato is 25mins in the car, which is great. So on good days I'd use the bike to nip in to work. I spend the free time I have training for ultra-marathons and don't know anyone to ride with at weekends.

I'm just wanting to ask folk if i'm missing anything i.e. at 41 and 3-years of no riding am i asking for trouble. The bikes that I have been looking at are the KTM Duke 390, the Kawa' Vulcan S, maybe a Bonneville or Scrambler but thats getting $$.

Anyway, be great to hear from folk. Cheers, Matt.
    You won't be the first or the last to "return" to motorcycling. The longer you take to do it ... the more fun you will be missing.

Your first return home after a ride ... with a dirty great grin on your dial will (should) make her smile too.

Tell her what you have in mind to do ... before you do anything. (unless you like living/sleeping alone)

When deciding what bike you might like to buy ... keep her in the picture about (show pictures of) what bikes you are looking at. (They like that) Get off-side in this planning ... and it won't go well.

I would suggest you get a bike you can sell later for the same money you paid. Upgrade/improve when finances and/or partnership relations are in agreement.

See you out there ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    +1 to the above. RideForever?

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    three years isn't a long time to be away, and if you're looking at bikes similar to the output of what you've ridden before I wouldn't consider it a huge concern.

Having said that, training and courses are valuable even to those who havent had a break from riding - ride forever are one such option.

I agree with FJ, involve her indoors in the purchase and you'll hve an easier time. If you buy someting like a LAMS MT07 she may even want to give it a go herself!

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    I stopped riding when our first child was born and didn't start again for 20 years. There were other reasons, but in retrospect I really regret it now.

Definitely do the RideForever courses if you're able to find the time.

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    You're in a good position - You're clearly thinking about this quite seriously and giving it due consideration.

Biking is one of those things in life where there are always at least half-a-dozen reasons not to do it. I always say that you should have at least one thing in your life that your Mum/Dad/Family wouldn't approve of. For me biking is it!

From the bikes you've mentioned you're clearly looking to enjoy your riding than simply going fast. Therefore you really are spoilt for choice. The biks you've mentioned are all good. The Vulcan S gets good write-ups though pillion provision may also be on your list.

A secondhand Guzzi V7 or one of the last air cooled Bonnevilles may well be a good choice. They can pootle as well as be hustled along quite nicely and there are plenty of bits around for them.

Bike
    Nothing right now 😔
    Thanks everyone, really appreciate the input. I will definitely check out the courses through Rider Forever.

The bike that I've kinda settled on in my head is the Honda CB500XA. I'm chipping away, not to hard, but talking it about it more and more at home.

I was thinking about the 'why' i.e. what's niggling away at my doubt about returning and the more I think about it, the more it relates to my decision to stop road cycling many years ago. I saw a few nasty accidents involving drivers who just didn't see or think about the cyclist that they had just wiped out, and then before you know it you start to unconsciously think about 'worst case'.

I think I'm taking this fear or phobia in to a return to motorcycling - my worry is the other cage drivers on the road.

Anyway, I'll keep mulling it over. Thank everyone, really appreciate the responses!

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Thanks everyone, really appreciate the input. I will definitely check out the courses through Rider Forever.

The bike that I've kinda settled on in my head is the Honda CB500XA. I'm chipping away, not to hard, but talking it about it more and more at home.

I was thinking about the 'why' i.e. what's niggling away at my doubt about returning and the more I think about it, the more it relates to my decision to stop road cycling many years ago. I saw a few nasty accidents involving drivers who just didn't see or think about the cyclist that they had just wiped out, and then before you know it you start to unconsciously think about 'worst case'.

I think I'm taking this fear or phobia in to a return to motorcycling - my worry is the other cage drivers on the road.

Anyway, I'll keep mulling it over. Thank everyone, really appreciate the responses!
    That's a healthy way to think.

After years of riding, habitually, I have had some personal training and done pro rider courses. Bit of an eye opener..
    Any hoo. Up-skilling and practice do a lot to increase anticipation and confidence to keep the fun in biking. It's well worth having a mind set of constant improvement and the training and practice is great fun.

Get yer bike, be real about your abilities and enjoy!
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR

The idea with the RF courses is to avoid the situation before it happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    Yeah, I'm much happier calling someone a wanker while riding the bike..
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Sold
    Hi Matt,

+1 for Ride Forever refresher training. A number of providers in the Waikato here: https://www.rideforever.co.nz/coachi...=1524046256923 . One of the providers shown (Mark Revill-Johnson) is based in your home town.

Cheers,

Geoff

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    The idea is to be able to see it coming because you know where to look ... and what to look for.

Coming out of an incident unscathed is ideal. But if I come out of it alive ... I can live with that.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Thread Information