Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Riding into old age

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by Laava View Post
    They getting some decent power out of them now? May need to trade the monster...
    Yep, well up from the original 55 bp. Lovely bike in the classic cafe racer mode.

Bike
    77 XL250
    I wish you old farts would stop your demented ramblings. You have reminded me that tomorrow when I putter round on the XL, there will be a combined age of 104 years.
    The best way to forget all your troubles is to wear tight underpants.

Bike
    A
    Interesting musings Mr James.
    The practicalities of "maturing" and wishing to continue a favourite pastime are self evident for all of us I suppose. Plenty of choices of course. If you start talking about things like Suzuki Burgman then I know it's time to stage an intervention, pretty sure I'll get enough backup from the lads on here haha

PS. For a while I was feeling guilty about considering an ST1300 as a work bike, but after browsing thru this thread I feel more empowered it might actually be a wise choice...while I can still muscle it around

There was a certain Viking who commented recently my blog hasn't had regular updates this year. Yeah well, out there doing it as opposed to writing about it sums it up

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    The practicalities of "maturing" and wishing to continue a favourite pastime are self evident for all of us I suppose. Plenty of choices of course. If you start talking about things like Suzuki Burgman then I know it's time to stage an intervention, pretty sure I'll get enough backup from the lads on here haha

PS. For a while I was feeling guilty about considering an ST1300 as a work bike, but after browsing thru this thread I feel more empowered it might actually be a wise choice...while I can still muscle it around

There was a certain Viking who commented recently my blog hasn't had regular updates this year. Yeah well, out there doing it as opposed to writing about it sums it up
    Hiya Rob! If I do start talking about scooters, will you be bringing round the same gang that de-programmes Scientologists? 😁.

Funnily enough, I've been imagining you on an ST completely showing up the squids on sports bikes how to really ride . Thought your last blog post was absolutely to the point. I feel just the same.

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    Quote Originally Posted by Laava View Post
    They getting some decent power out of them now? May need to trade the monster...
    The 2019-model 900cc models appear to be getting more Bhp. I know that's the case with the Street Twin (Up to 64Bhp from the original 54) however it appears to have been achieved mainly by increasing the rev range as the redline has been raised and peak torque is made higher up the rev range too. The Speed Twin is one of the few 1200 models which appears to use the 1200 motor in the same form as the Thruxton. The others seem to use various versions, all of which have lower Bhp figures.

Having said that this is a bike where the Bhp figures have less relevance than you might think. I certainly don't wish for more power than the 96 my Thruxton has as the gearing is about spot on for real roads. In sixth I'm running 3500Rpm at 100 km/hr and that with an indicated redline of 7000Rpm. This means that the bike feels responsive at normal speeds and the bike has a lovely ability to get from point A to point B quickly and effectively plus overtakes are taken care of neatly too.

It depends which of the Monsters you're coming from. Certainly compared to my 2006-vintage S2R model with the air/oil cooled 803 motor the Thruxton feels to be plenty quick enough. It's not dissimilar to the 1100 Evo model (The last of the aircooled 1100s) which I rode a few years back. That was a cracking bike though the gearing would have been a touch too long for NZ roads IMHO.

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650

Rob

The ST1300s are a lovely machine and are perfectly capable of showing other bikes a thing or two - My experiences on the UK Ridesafe-equivalent course some years back proved this to me A lovely motor and all-day ergonomics would make it ideal for your needs I reckon.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR

You have a blog?

ST1300? Why not got the whole hog and get a Wing?
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    Can understand that with the R1! Towards the end of my 8 years with the Blackbird, I found the forward stretch hard on the wrists and neck. Going to a naked (the Street Triple) was ergonomically far more pleasant for an ageing body and the wind blast at sane highway speeds was just fine. It actually helped to slow me down a bit in terms of speed. Ditto with comfort on the Gixxer. The only concession was putting on 20 mm lower footpegs as a concession to my knees and that worked perfectly. Totally at home with a naked bike now. Yep, I have the Gixxer serviced at Boyds and they look after me well. I'll get a test ride there, then nip across the road to test the Triple. That's where I bought the 675 from.
    Just a warning. When you go test ride dont walk up the street and test ride a Tuono 1100.

You would be spoilt for life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    Hiya Rob! If I do start talking about scooters, will you be bringing round the same gang that de-programmes Scientologists? 😁.
    Somewhere I have a photo of you on a scooter...

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    Just a warning. When you go test ride dont walk up the street and test ride a Tuono 1100.

You would be spoilt for life.
    Not likely to happen Rob - not "fit for purpose" and I don't even like the looks.

Bike
    CT110 Super Cub - postie bike
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    , go fly fishing in a beautiful valley somewhere with me tent. Thats #1.

Mmmm. Fly fishing. Anywhere in the Mackenzie Basin works for me.
    Grow older but never grow up

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    You have a blog?

ST1300? Why not got the whole hog and get a Wing?
    Sure, it's hidden in plain sight....

http://robvpnz.blogspot.co.nz

As for ST1300, apparently you've gotta be 60+ before you can buy one and I'll pretend you didn't mention Goldwing

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    I rode a mate's ST13. After struggling to get it off the side stand from a slight off camber, I then pulled into the next gas station to check the tyres pressure as I was convinced that they were flat. They weren't.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Indian Scout
    Got ya old age ride sorted!

The name alone inspires images of a renegade motorcyclist terrorising the Rest Home Residents on his Pride Sportrider chopper mobility scooter.

I bet Marlon Brando had one of these in his sunset days.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SportRider.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	213.3 KB 
ID:	339959  
    Happiness is a means of travel, not a destination

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    I've seen one of those around. But 15k? Well even a lime scooter will do 27.

I'm thinking RZ350 engine with towering unsilenced expansion chambers
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Thread Information