Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tyre damage - why?

Bike
    2006 BMW R1200GS

Tyre damage - stupid newbie

Hi people, Happy 2019 to you all.

I was wondering if people could comment on this. How can damage like this happen? Left with a good tyre and after about 150km of Northland roads (all sealed) I ended up with this. Tyre is made in week 42 in 2015.

Cheers

Peter
    Last edited by BMW_BeMyWings; 2nd January 2019 at 10:03. Reason: Changed title to reflect topic better.

Bike
    16' xtz125e super-adventure, Ninja 650
    Blog Entries
    what the.... she can't have been all good when you left it looks worn to death, how many KMs since it was new?.....

can see by the profile chicken-strip that you've used it for a LONG time over many KM's do better checks before you set off............................................... ............. and look after your bike before you become another statistic through maintenance neglect

as soon as that profile on the edge started to happen you should have moved to a new set .....................................

Bike
    2006 BMW R1200GS
    Quote Originally Posted by Scubbo View Post
    what the.... she can't have been all good when you left it looks worn to death, how many KMs since it was new?.....
    Checked the tyre before I left. No damage. Checked tread depth last week with one of those measurement thingies and it was still legal. I was planning to replace the tyres in February because that's when the WOF is due. The tread on the right side of the tyre looks worn on the photo but that's because of the light/shadow. Look at the top of the tyre and you see it is still legal. Yes the tyre is not in new condition. But it wasn't worn out to an extend that it would start to disintegrate.

I don't know how many k's are on those tyres because they were on the bike when I bought it. I put less than 1000k's on them in the time I owned the bike.

Cheers

Peter

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Tread depth on a motorcycle is NOT LIKE A CAR!!!!!! ... swap both tires now take it to a shop and get it done and a full once over while you're at it, you have no clue!

Bike
    2006 BMW R1200GS
    Sorry scubbo can't keep up with your edits . Ok I see what you mean now. Thanks for the image. So the tyres were worn down on the sides.

Will take more care in the future, thanks.

Cheers

Peter

Bike
    2006 BMW R1200GS
    Tread depth on a motorcycle is NOT LIKE A CAR!!!!!! ... swap both tires now take it to a shop and get it done and a full once over while you're at it, you have no clue!
    I think we all were at a stage once where we had no clue, right? That's why we ask questions.

Cheers

Peter

Bike
    Blog Entries
    please while you are still alive, trailer the bike to a bike-shop and get them to check it over and fit new shoes! --- last thing you want to do is have a crash on such a big bike because of a mechanical fault, hard enough to trust others on the road while riding without the added risk of an unmaintained bike between your thighs ---- anyway happy 2019

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Whoopsie.

Yeah, as stated. From "she'll be right" to "oh shit" in one ride. Hot roads, coarse chip seal, big bike = rapid wear.

I've had a similar experience a couple of times but not as dramatic. I live oop north, too. Started a ride with a marginally legal tyre and arrived home with a slick shoulder.

Dual (soft) compound and thinner rubber on the shoulder / edge of the tyre..

If nothing else, change a bit sooner to avoid punctures.

When that tyre comes off, feel how thin the rubber is on the sides compared to the centre.

How much of the 150km was going up and down the Mangamukas?

What are your tyre pressures like?
    Last edited by george formby; 2nd January 2019 at 09:37. Reason: Light bulb moment.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Yo momma
    Ride 'em 'till they blow!!!!!
    Lets go Brandon

Bike
    2006 BMW R1200GS
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    Whoopsie.

Yeah, as stated. From "she'll be right" to "oh shit" in one ride. Hot roads, coarse chip seal, big bike = rapid wear.

I've had a similar experience a couple of times but not as dramatic. I live oop north, too. Started a ride with a marginally legal tyre and arrived home with a slick shoulder.

Dual (soft) compound and thinner rubber on the shoulder / edge of the tyre..

If nothing else, change a bit sooner to avoid punctures.

When that tyre comes off, feel how thin the rubber is on the sides compared to the centre.

How much of the 150km was going up and down the Mangamukas?

What are your tyre pressures like?
    Thanks mate, yes it was a wake up call. I was shocked when I saw the damage. I did go across the Maungamukas, Okaihau, Kerikeri and then Matauri Bay. Saw the damage when I stopped at the lookout towards Tauranga Bay. The bike was sold to me with "good tyres". As a newb I trusted the seller too much. I also got a WOF with those tyres in Feb 2018. Haven't been riding much since then since the bike was out of order for a while. I only did around 1000k since the WOF in Feb 2018.

Unfortunately it isn't that easy up here to get a bike serviced. No bike shops apart form the quad bike sellers who also do two wheel farm bikes. I ordered new rubber and will get them put on hopefully next week. But the way it is up here I have to remove the wheels form the bike myself. No shop up here does this for me. I asked around and also spoke to bikers up here.

Anyway, I learned my lesson and I am glad it turned out without any damage to myself and the bike. Maybe other newbies can learn from my stuff up.

Tyre pressure. I keep the front at 32 psi and the rear at 36 psi. As per manual/workshop handbook.

Cheers

Peter

Bike
    KTM530EXC

Talking

The reason is ... too many corners. Drive straighter and wear out the centre a bit more. Some tread left there ...
    "May all your traffic lights be green and none of your curves have oncoming semis in them." Rocky, American Biker.
    "Those that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin, 18th C.

Bike
    2006 BMW R1200GS
    Quote Originally Posted by rok-the-boat View Post
    The reason is ... too many corners. Drive straighter and wear out the centre a bit more. Some tread left there ...
    Great advice, thanks. I'll just ride up and down the Awanui straight from now on.

Thanks

Peter

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by rok-the-boat View Post
    Norfland, the place to be for even tyre wear.....

Town and Country in Kerikeri will do ride in / ride out for tyres.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BMW_BeMyWings View Post
    Great advice, thanks. I'll just ride up and down the Awanui straight from now on.

Thanks

Peter
    I suspect you may have had an inflation issue as well. Under inflation maybe ... but being parked up at your place might be safer for you long term ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    2006 BMW R1200GS
    Tread depth on a motorcycle is NOT LIKE A CAR!!!!!!
    So how is it different and how do you check?

The legal minimum tread depth is 1.5mm in all the ‘principal grooves’ around the entire circumference of the tyre. ‘Principal grooves’ are the ones that have a tread depth indicator in them: these are the thin ‘flaps’ of rubber that sit crosswise in the groove and they are 1.5mm in height. Measure tread depth with a gauge or a steel ruler and make sure you do it at several places around the circumference.
    https://www.rideforever.co.nz/workin...ur-bike/tyres/

I find this a bit confusing. No "flaps of rubber" in the grooves of my tyre. It didn't help me to know that my tyre was bad. I measured it over the whole circumference of the tyre and it was in the limit.I used this thing I have on my keyring and it showed "Replace" which I was planning to do anyway.

Cheers

Peter

Thread Information