Thread: road tests

Bike
    2008 ducati 848

road tests

having read a few and watched other via the new media , I have come to the conclusion that testers treat the bikes like hookers , screw the shit out of them and move on to the next . Whereas owners are more into love affairs ( that's why they find red Italian Girls so attractive,).
    to be old and wise you must first be young and stupid
    I do have a purpose in life , Even if it is as a warning to others

Bike
    It was on the good
    I like blue ones.

Might start a thread about it.

Bike
    CX500
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post
    I like blue ones.

Hookers or bikes?

Bike
    bandit
    Quote Originally Posted by tanken2 View Post
    having read a few and watched other via the new media , I have come to the conclusion that testers treat the bikes like hookers , screw the shit out of them and move on to the next . Whereas owners are more into love affairs ( that's why they find red Italian Girls so attractive,).
    Testers also own bikes

The central point of a test is to push a bike to see what its limits are
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Quote Originally Posted by Banditbandit View Post
    Testers also own bikes

The central point of a test is to push a bike to see what its limits are
    I thought it was to say nice things about them so they would be invited back by the manufacturer.
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    2011 Suziki V strom 650
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post
    I like blue ones.

I dont like blue ones, means I've overdone the asphyxiation part of the sex act.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
    Legalise anarchy

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
    I thought it was to say nice things about them so they would be invited back by the manufacturer.
    That's it. Funny how when the new model comes to be tested the improvements of the new model are listed, and the faults of the old model are referred to, none of which had been mentioned in the original tests.

I can (sort of) recall when BIKE tested the then new 1098 Ducati. Their first two rides, one was on a track, were impressive and they said so. Then they got one for a proper test and on normal roads it was much less impressive - and they reported that too. Ducati were singularly unimpressed and responded by withdrawing advertising and threatening no further bikes to test. BIKE printed a full explanation of their processes and the cracks were apparently papered over.

So as long as we are all aware that their testers are only allowed to tell us the good stuff the magazines can be useful. Some of the random testers on Youtube can be good in that respect, their livlihood is not dependent on their saying only nice things.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    That's it. Funny how when the new model comes to be tested the improvements of the new model are listed, and the faults of the old model are referred to, none of which had been mentioned in the original tests.

I can (sort of) recall when BIKE tested the then new 1098 Ducati. Their first two rides, one was on a track, were impressive and they said so. Then they got one for a proper test and on normal roads it was much less impressive - and they reported that too. Ducati were singularly unimpressed and responded by withdrawing advertising and threatening no further bikes to test. BIKE printed a full explanation of their processes and the cracks were apparently papered over.

So as long as we are all aware that their testers are only allowed to tell us the good stuff the magazines can be useful. Some of the random testers on Youtube can be good in that respect, their livlihood is not dependent on their saying only nice things.
    Yep - I use Youtube as well as the magazines to gather any information on a new or revised bike. It'll be interesting to see what people say about the new Guzzi V85TT when it hits the streets. Will they be all 'Ooh look a new Guzzi.' or will they be critical of it? I find 'The Missenden Flyer' channel on Youtube to be really good and useful.

But yes - It winds me up how, when a new model or version is ridden, the faults of the previous one are then trotted out. It does make you wonder...

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Boy View Post
    Yep - I use Youtube as well as the magazines to gather any information on a new or revised bike. It'll be interesting to see what people say about the new Guzzi V85TT when it hits the streets. Will they be all 'Ooh look a new Guzzi.' or will they be critical of it? I find 'The Missenden Flyer' channel on Youtube to be really good and useful.

But yes - It winds me up how, when a new model or version is ridden, the faults of the previous one are then trotted out. It does make you wonder...
    I think the "faults" in previous models are improvements in new models based on the product cycle and what the competition is doing. I am looking forward to owners reviews of the KTM790 Duke in 6 months or so when the mileage is ramped up, new engine and all.

I like TMF, also FortNine and Cager on Two Wheels (the Portugese dude). He has been very quiet, though.

The recent FortNine tests of the KLR650 and Yamaha TW200 are hilarious, if not exactly cutting edge bikes.

Fastbikes still seem to be pretty truthful but always seem to end up giving more info on their "improvements" rather than a thorough test of a stock bike.

Reviewers stateside who only ride slab, motorways, are almost immediately dismissed.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Street Triple R + Yamaha R3
    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Boy View Post
    I find 'The Missenden Flyer' channel on Youtube to be really good and useful.
    Yep. It's a bloody good channel that. As a bonus, he's about the same height as me, so his reviews are also useful for getting a feel for how a bike would fit me. Also, he often compares bikes to his Street Triple, which is also a useful reference point for me.

His recent motorcycle touring adventures are very professionally put together and a great watch. I particularly liked his tour of Norway and the Arctic Circle.

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post

There was a time when Top Gear would not get any BMWs to test drive, in fact one time, Clarkson just went and bought one just so they could cane it's arse and give an honest review...think I am remembering that correctly?
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Laava View Post
    There was a time when Top Gear would not get any BMWs to test drive, in fact one time, Clarkson just went and bought one just so they could cane it's arse and give an honest review...think I am remembering that correctly?

Sounds about right. I remember a entire season of him taking the piss out of the GT40 he waiting two years for. And subsquently sold with bugger all kms on it as it spent most of it's life in the garage getting fixed.

https://carbuzz.com/news/jeremy-clar...t-can-be-yours

Bike
    2000 Ducati 996S MY01
    Quote Originally Posted by Laava View Post
    There was a USA special where "apparently" Dodge said they weren't allowed to borrow any of their cars so Hammond had to "buy" a Challenger for the trip. It was/is all so scripted that I doubt that's exactly how it went down, but hey, still a good episode
    2001 Ducati 996S || 2008 Yamaha CygnusX
    FaceBrick

Bike
    Yo momma
    When I used to work for Kiwi Rider the manufacturers encouraged us to take the bikes to the limit. Except for Moto Guzzi who didn't want us to directly compare their fat slow walruses to actual sport bikes.
    Lets go Brandon

Thread Information