Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Suzuki Stinger T125 II 1970

Bike
    Niftyfifty

Bike
    '69 K0, '71 Stinger, '73 Z1, '74 AC50
    Quote Originally Posted by rudolph View Post
    That's a great little survivor bike. Where did you find it? Do you have the papers to get it back on the road?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I'm livin' the dream.

Bike
    Niftyfifty
    Quote Originally Posted by toycollector10 View Post
    That's a great little survivor bike. Where did you find it? Do you have the papers to get it back on the road?

The people up the road had it in there shed, I have put a few bikes back on the road using an AA TSD agent, they are happy enough with the old black number plate and a letter that has been stamped by a J.P.

VTNZ on the other hand will bend you over backwards.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Kewl. Nice headwear.
    I have a T90 frame under the house.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Hopefully he'll stop skiting about his bloody Stinger soon.....Anyway, it's finished now so I'm moving on to my next project, 1969 CB750 Honda.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ryi0O7JQYzE
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I'm livin' the dream.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Well the 'before' is considerably better than my before. Guess I should have spent the money at the start.

Great video, was good to see it done and hear it.

I've never actually ridden one despite owning two.

Bike
    1994 VFR750F, 2006 XR250L
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post

I've never actually ridden one despite owning two.
    I'm the opposite, I never owned one, but rode one from new because my oldest brother bought a nice gold one new. His friend bought an AS3 Yamaha 125 and there was quite a difference which I'll explain.

The Stinger made an awesome sound, the Yamaha sounded rather scratchy in comparison is about how I'd describe it. The Stinger was quite smooth without any wild power band, was pretty well vibration free and could cruise happily at a good speed all day. The Yamaha had quite a marked power band and did seem to have just a bit more up top and did vibrate more.

For the time my brother had the Stinger, reliability was good and it never seemed to foul plugs unlike the A100 I had at the time which tended to foul its plug if you'd run around town too long then wanted to open it up. The AS3 my bro's mate had holed a piston which wasn't good for a bike less than six months old at the time it did it.

The Stinger was a great bike in every way for its size except it drank fuel like guys drinking out of jugs back in the day. We figured it probably had that reliability over the Yamaha because it kept itself cool by way of the fuel cooling the pistons. We lived in Napier at the time and the Stinger couldn't get to Wairoa without a refuel part way at Tutira or Putorino and that trip is less than 120km. It would be no good these days with so many fuel stops having disappeared.

Cheers

Merv

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by merv View Post
    The Stinger...kept itself cool by way of the fuel cooling the pistons.
    I can't find any reference to an engine's fuel/air mix acting as part of the engine cooling on the Interweb. We all know that a lean fuel/air ratio makes an engine run hot so a rich fuel charge must run relatively cooler. Can anyone help? Link?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I'm livin' the dream.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    No link but its fairly common air cooled lore that you have to jet richer than ideal.

Bike
    VFR800
    Quote Originally Posted by toycollector10 View Post
    Hopefully he'll stop skiting about his bloody Stinger soon.....Anyway, it's finished now so I'm moving on to my next project, 1969 CB750 Honda.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ryi0O7JQYzE

That looks like mint condition. Great to see these projects happening.

Bike
    husaberg
    I'm the opposite, I never owned one, but rode one from new because my oldest brother bought a nice gold one new. His friend bought an AS3 Yamaha 125 and there was quite a difference which I'll explain.

The Stinger made an awesome sound, the Yamaha sounded rather scratchy in comparison is about how I'd describe it. The Stinger was quite smooth without any wild power band, was pretty well vibration free and could cruise happily at a good speed all day. The Yamaha had quite a marked power band and did seem to have just a bit more up top and did vibrate more.

For the time my brother had the Stinger, reliability was good and it never seemed to foul plugs unlike the A100 I had at the time which tended to foul its plug if you'd run around town too long then wanted to open it up. The AS3 my bro's mate had holed a piston which wasn't good for a bike less than six months old at the time it did it.

The Stinger was a great bike in every way for its size except it drank fuel like guys drinking out of jugs back in the day. We figured it probably had that reliability over the Yamaha because it kept itself cool by way of the fuel cooling the pistons. We lived in Napier at the time and the Stinger couldn't get to Wairoa without a refuel part way at Tutira or Putorino and that trip is less than 120km. It would be no good these days with so many fuel stops having disappeared.

I think the limited range was on account of a tiny fuel tank.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    I think the limited range was on account of a tiny fuel tank.
    8 litres, but the old two strokes drank the fuel as in the T125 would only do about 30 - 40 miles per gallon (10 -15 km per litre roughly) so you didn't try to do a 70 or 80 mile (110 - 130 km roughly) trip wthout refueling part way. A little 4 stroke 125 would more than likely be able to do Napier to Wairoa and return on a similar sized tank these days and not need 3 refuels, as my larger XR250L Honda I currently have has a 9 litre tank and on highway will get 250km to a tank so could do that return trip okay as a comparison.
    Cheers

Merv

Bike
    husaberg
    8 litres, but the old two strokes drank the fuel as in the T125 would only do about 30 - 40 miles per gallon (10 -15 km per litre roughly) so you didn't try to do a 70 or 80 mile (110 - 130 km roughly) trip wthout refueling part way. A little 4 stroke 125 would more than likely be able to do Napier to Wairoa and return on a similar sized tank these days and not need 3 refuels, as my larger XR250L Honda I currently have has a 9 litre tank and on highway will get 250km to a tank so could do that return trip okay as a comparison.
    I assumed you were comparing it to an AS3 for range, the AS3 has 9 liters of fuel
    A Two stoke is not going to match a $t for economy of fuel consumption Just as, a 4T is never going to match a 2t in equal tune for HP.

to tell you the truth i am surprised the stinger is 2 gallons, are you sure its not US gallons........
    Honda 4t might be economical but they make farty noises.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post

to tell you the truth i am surprised the stinger is 2 gallons, are you sure its not US gallons........
    Honda 4t might be economical but they make farty noises.
    Lol, I said it was 8 litres and never bothered converting it to gallons, but we did have to buy fuel in gallons in those days and no doubt typically only put a gallon and a bit in each time we refuelled. The tell tale was always how far you went in miles on the clock until you hit reserve and then how far would you trust going hoping you were going to find a gas station.
    Cheers

Merv

Thread Information