Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Overtaking an emergency vehicle with flashing lights on.

Bike
    VFR400, Frankenbucket
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post
    Not sure I agree with your interpretation there. Pulling over or making way are things you do when the vehicle is approaching you, from any direction, so that you do not impede them. I can't see how overtaking them if they are travelling slower than the posted speed limit can in any way be considered as impeding them.
    Just as one yanking a u-turn in front of you can't be.
    I dun learned my lesson though stopped a line of traffic the other day when one chucked their lights on. Not risking them risking my neck again

Sent from my SM-A730F using Tapatalk

Bike
    '21 Aprilia Tuono
    Not sure I agree with your interpretation there. Pulling over or making way are things you do when the vehicle is approaching you, from any direction, so that you do not impede them. I can't see how overtaking them if they are travelling slower than the posted speed limit can in any way be considered as impeding them.
    Yeah, fair enough, as long as you don't impede them.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Ambulance and fire engine are fair game, Police car perhaps not but there is no rule.[/I]
    Falls under the speed rules. Likely if the popo is going Code 2, they will be exceeding the speed limit. If you pass them, expect a reaction.

However, I've been the numpty popo who forgot to switch the lights off after using them. You don't normally realise until you are driving along and people ahead of you keep pulling over. But still, I normally drove at the speed limit, so passing me would have been a bad idea.

That's the guts of it. The speed issue.

The other consideration is that if you overtook a fire truck which had bells and whistles on, you could ride away and not get in his way. But if you overtook a popo with the bells and whistles on, as soon as you got ahead, the bells and whistles would mean you had to stop. That's the difference between red lights, and red and blue lights.

Thread Information