Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: First time visitor to NZ - avoiding speeding fines

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    We have a number of race tracks, on which there is no speed limit.
    If you look up these tracks you may be able to work a ride day or two into your schedule.
    I personally think you would enjoy the country better from the seat of something like an R1200gs, but I'm not an expert in these matters.
    If you just want to ride roads with no respect for the law or anyone else there's probably better countries to explore.
    Democratic Repulic of Congo: with bonus Ebola!

Nigeria.... I can put you in touch with a Prince there. He is giving me some money because I am a young beautful woman.

Papua New Guinea - bit of the old stabbing and beheading.

just three OTOH
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Shit oh dear! I thought the replies to the question about naming a jacket were bad but this thread is tragic.

On one of my trips around the South Island I didn't see a single cop for three days. Nothing from Blenheim except a beep on the detector somewhere in the Lewis pass. Nothing all the way down the West Coast. On the fourth day there was a speed camera just north of Dunedin.

Being from the UK you'll probably wonder where all the people went. Hardly anybody lives in the South Island. It can be a long way between gas stations.

Caution is needed on the long straights in the McKenzie Country (near Mt Cook) that seems to be a nice little revenue earner for the government coffers.

There was a cautionary tale in BIKE magazine some years ago. One of their writers overtook a mufti patrol car at speed. He thought he was going to jail but we are normally not so unkind.

Time and place and all that, but it would be a shame to miss the scenery.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    ES XTZ
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    Shit oh dear! I thought the replies to the question about naming a jacket were bad but this thread is tragic.

On one of my trips around the South Island I didn't see a single cop for three days. Nothing from Blenheim except a beep on the detector somewhere in the Lewis pass. Nothing all the way down the West Coast. On the fourth day there was a speed camera just north of Dunedin.

Being from the UK you'll probably wonder where all the people went. Hardly anybody lives in the South Island. It can be a long way between gas stations.

Caution is needed on the long straights in the McKenzie Country (near Mt Cook) that seems to be a nice little revenue earner for the government coffers.

There was a cautionary tale in BIKE magazine some years ago. One of their writers overtook a mufti patrol car at speed. He thought he was going to jail but we are normally not so unkind.

What this man says

Bike
    Sold

I still have that article! The judge rode a Ducati so that may have had some bearing

Bike
    motocompo
    Bear in mind that it's very possible & more likely than not, to crash & fuck yourself up, far from phone coverage & any kind of help.

Bike
    XR650R
    Bear in mind that it's very possible & more likely than not, to crash & fuck yourself up, far from phone coverage & any kind of help.
    wow, also forgot about how the locals will shoot you for being on their patch, aw that's right now they've only got six shots so only a real Nancy can't handle that ay!

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by Temporary-Kiwi View Post
    wow, also forgot about how the locals will shoot you for being on their patch, aw that's right now they've only got six shots so only a real Nancy can't handle that ay!
    I was chatting with a road racer in Ireland recently that had done some exploring in NZ.
    He was quite perturbed that he was out of cell coverage for large parts of his day.
    Apparently that shit is quite important to some. Especially when you have a flat tyre or broken leg.

Bike
    Indian Scout
    Some sound advice coming out.

Take it from someone who tours the South island every year and once upon a time on Fireblades and the like, you can have spirited times on empty roads. However, the West Coast is motorcycling heaven for the very reason that there are 10,000 tight corners per hour, so doing 300kph, 200kph or 139kph (a wise top speed) is not really an option. Use a comfy upright bike. That way you can throw it through the twisties and also sit up and enjoy the scenery.

You are far more likely to be taken out by stupid tourists driving on the wrong side of our narrow roads than a speeding ticket. It really is a concern and one of many hazards that nowadays slow most of us experienced riders down.

Regarding tank range. Key spots to plan and ride to conserve petrol are Westport to Karamea. Murchison to Greymouth- you can top up in Westport of course, worth the 5 minute detour. Down through the Haast Pass. Fill at Fox Glacier and top up at Haast (before dark- it will probably close early)

Enjoy our roads and you won't be disappointed you came here.
    ps- don't shit in our beautiful backyard, find a toilet!
    Happiness is a means of travel, not a destination

Bike
    2020 DL 1050 Vstrom RO

This is so true........

There's plenty of extreme activity available here other than channeling the IOM TT. Go jump off a bridge with an elastic band tied to your socks. Go do some 360's in a jet boat, lots to do thats not going to get you in strife.

NZ is a great scenic and cultural experience, that you can ALSO experience on a motorbike.

"If you ride fast, you are missing the whole point of this country." -Henry Cole, worlds greatest motorcycle rides.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    I still have that article! The judge rode a Ducati so that may have had some bearing
    That's the one. I don't think we jail people for common, or even not quite so common, speeding offences do we?
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    suzuki
    I was chatting with a road racer in Ireland recently that had done some exploring in NZ.
    He was quite perturbed that he was out of cell coverage for large parts of his day.
    Apparently that shit is quite important to some. Especially when you have a flat tyre or broken leg.
    we managed for how long without it, how?

Bike
    Sold
    That's the one. I don't think we jail people for common, or even not quite so common, speeding offences do we?
    Might do if he rides a Hippobike (Harley). I thought the article was really funny. Want a digital copy if I can find it on the PC?

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    I think automatic 24 hour ban on driving with vehicle impounded for 40 km/hr over the posted limit..

Usually results in 6 months loss of license with a fine after the court appearance.

Jail is often reserved for those that killed somebody ... but not always. I can't recall any such motorcycle related incident involving jail time.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    TF125
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    I think automatic 24 hour ban on driving with vehicle impounded for 40 km/hr over the posted limit..

Usually results in 6 months loss of license with a fine after the court appearance.
    My own experience pinged at 40 km/hr over the posted limit was an instant 28-day suspension but they didn't impound the bike. Shit changes at 50k over I think.

Bike
    XR650R
    The approved speed for any corner is kmh == mph x 2 plus 10. : so, a sign signposted for 35kph can be ridden at 80mph or around 140.

I've found it's difficult to go more than 3x the indicated
    corner speed, on the cliffhanger hillclimb I was going around the 35k corner at 120-130kph but that was using both sides of the road, in practice I managed to do 110kph on the left hand side around it, but that was using every 3mm of the side tread , in general I've found twice the signposted speed is easily achieved, but I like to have a margin of safety for the unexpected

Thread Information