Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: First time visitor to NZ - avoiding speeding fines

Bike
    Honda Blackbird 2000
    How quick are the sheep ? I had a hip replacement last year, so am not as quick on the feet as I used to be.

Incidentally I'm heading up to the Scottish Highlands in two weeks (based near Loch Shin). It's about 10 years since I was last in the Highlands. I'm just hoping the sheep are not outnumbered by the cameras up there now.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingTomato View Post
    How quick are the sheep ? I had a hip replacement last year, so am not as quick on the feet as I used to be.

Incidentally I'm heading up to the Scottish Highlands in two weeks (based near Loch Shin). It's about 10 years since I was last in the Highlands. I'm just hoping the sheep are not outnumbered by the cameras up there now.
    It's not their speed that causes the issues, it's their ability to change direction quickly that causes the issues.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    2000 kawasaki zzr1100, 88 1500 goldwing
    lotsa wanna be judges and cops on here.
    here is my take on it, don't ride like a dick and piss people off and you are normally fine, yes you need to be aware of your suroundings and be aware that you may come around a corner to find a tourist stopped in the middle of the road, not as common as it once was, better education nowadays, yes you may come around a corner to find a local stopped in the middle of the road gass bagging with a neighbour, happens more often than tourists stopping.
    yes you may come around a corner to stock on the side of the road, not as common as it once was.
    keep all these things in mind and crack along and you should be fine.
    don't piss the cagers off and hopefully they don't ring the police, give the livestock a wide birth and don't frighten them and again you should be fine.
    there are some awesome roads in the south island to enjoy,

to many holier than thou people on here, not many of us are complete angels and lets face it, we don't ride because we are angels.
    enjoy your time here

Bike
    Rocket 111 Touring (2010)
    A few interesting numbers to put things in perspective.

As at February this year there are 102 fixed speed cameras in the whole country, compared to over 4000 in the UK, although as others have said, they are not painted bright colours or have warning signs.

There are also mobile camera vans, often people carriers, which are pretty inconspicuous.

With fixed cameras and vans you only get a fine. Only the cops can issue demerit points. The fines aren't huge, just more of a fun tax. There is generally, but not always, a 10kph tolerance (not a percentage as in the UK). During holiday periods and public holiday weekends (bank holidays) the tolerance drops to 4kph.

We can get 100 demerits but it works about the same as your 12. For not too serious speeding you will get 4 points. We get 30 - 40.

Don't ride stupidly and you will be fine.

Sent from my HUAWEI M2-802L using Tapatalk

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    It's not their speed that causes the issues, it's their ability to change direction quickly that causes the issues.
    that's why they're so good to root, cows are good too, although you have to climb off your beer crate and walk around the front every time you want to kiss them.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    that's why they're so good to root, cows are good too, although you have to climb off your beer crate and walk around the front every time you want to kiss them.
    So your short then ... ??

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by FLUB View Post
    A few interesting numbers to put things in perspective.

As at February this year there are 102 fixed speed cameras in the whole country, compared to over 4000 in the UK, although as others have said, they are not painted bright colours or have warning signs.

There are also mobile camera vans, often people carriers, which are pretty inconspicuous.

With fixed cameras and vans you only get a fine. Only the cops can issue demerit points. The fines aren't huge, just more of a fun tax. There is generally, but not always, a 10kph tolerance (not a percentage as in the UK). During holiday periods and public holiday weekends (bank holidays) the tolerance drops to 4kph.

We can get 100 demerits but it works about the same as your 12. For not too serious speeding you will get 4 points. We get 30 - 40.

Don't ride stupidly and you will be fine.

Not sure if its still the case but back in the day you got demerits for Bikes with spped cameras but not cars
    But to be fair the speed camera only catches you traveling past it rather than towards it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    XR650R
    Quote Originally Posted by MD View Post
    Some sound advice coming out.

Take it from someone who tours the South island every year and once upon a time on Fireblades and the like, you can have spirited times on empty roads. However,

You are far more likely to be taken out by stupid tourists driving on the wrong side of our narrow roads than a speeding ticket. It really is a concern and one of many hazards that nowadays slow most of us experienced riders down.
    I was near taken out by one such driver in the haast pass, coming back from 'the burt' , a black SUV with tinted windows came over the center line slowly into my lane at the crest of a slight rise, I had to get on the gravel verge beside a ditch to avoid them, I took out their wing mirror with my shoulder/forearm as I scraped past it.
    I was that mad I decided against chasing after them, as I wouldn't have been able to stop myself getting abit in their face

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    Not sure if its still the case but back in the day you got demerits for Bikes with spped cameras but not cars
    But to be fair the speed camera only catches you traveling past it rather than towards it.
    No demerits for bikes from camera vans. I know because I've had a few tickets. I always ask them for a copy of the photo when I pay, as it's the only photos that actually show me riding the bike. Unfotunately they are all rear views

Bike
    husaberg
    No demerits for bikes from camera vans. I know because I've had a few tickets. I always ask them for a copy of the photo when I pay, as it's the only photos that actually show me riding the bike. Unfotunately they are all rear views
    Cheers i always thought it was odd as you cant tell who is riding a bike so how was points fair......
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    Cheers i always thought it was odd as you cant tell who is riding a bike so how was points fair......
    Easy, police request the information from registered owner (as the owner its your responsibility to know) via letter. Lots of punishment if you try to avoid. Something like $10,000 for failing to comply.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    Easy, police request the information from registered owner (as the owner its your responsibility to know) via letter. Lots of punishment if you try to avoid. Something like $10,000 for failing to comply.
    What i was meaning was in a car you can see the driver not so on a Bike as most pics are of their back.
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    Not all speed/surveillance cameras give clear images of the vehicle drivers ... so the rule is applicable for ALL types of vehicles when the registered owner "Does not know/Will not say" who was operating the motor vehicle ...

"It wasn't ME" is not a defense in it's self. Even proof it WASN'T you will not (necessarily) get you off the hook ... if you can't convince the judge you don't know (or even actually don't know) ... you still risk wearing the $10,000 fine.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    No demerits for ANY speed camera ticket. Regardless of type of vehicle.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    Not all speed/surveillance cameras give clear images of the vehicle drivers ... so the rule is applicable for ALL types of vehicles when the registered owner "Does not know/Will not say" who was operating the motor vehicle ...

"It wasn't ME" is not a defense in it's self. Even proof it WASN'T you will not (necessarily) get you off the hook ... if you can't convince the judge you don't know (or even actually don't know) ... you still risk wearing the $10,000 fine.
    I worked for a company that had a pool car and you had to complete a logbook before you were given the key. It was for this very reason because if the company couldn't name the driver, they would get the fine. They liked us......... but not that much

Thread Information