Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Confirmation required on new lane splitting rules

Bike
    nothing :(

Arrow Confirmation required on new lane splitting rules

Had an interesting email from a fellow biker this morning

"On the onramp this morning a couple of cars told me the cop ahead was pulling over bikies, so I sat in my lane.
    Got to the cop, passed him, he then drove ahead and flagged me over. Then he told me that they have a new directive where bikes are allowed to lane share if the traffic is doing less than 30km and the bike is doing no more than a 20km differential from the traffic speed.
    He also told me that bikes weren't allowed to use the bus lanes on the shore."

Very interesting of course. I wonder if all the cops have been informed of this.

Actually it would be nice if some of the cops on here would like to confirm this.

PS Sorry if this has been posted before
    Second is the fastest loser

"It is better to have ridden & crashed than never to have ridden at all" by Bruce Bennett

DB is the new Porridge. Cause most of the mods must be sucking his cock ..... Or his giving them some oral help? How else can you explain it?

Bike
    KTM 690 DUKE R
    Quote Originally Posted by enigma51
    He also told me that bikes weren't allowed to use the bus lanes on the shore."
    I wonder under what jurisdiction the shore has changed their laws from the rest of the country!

Bike
    2001 RC46
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sAsLEX
    I wonder under what jurisdiction the shore has changed their laws from the rest of the country!
    I think he was referring to the emergency stopping lanes on the motorways that buses have a dispensation to use as 'bus lanes'.
    Heh ... riding the Zed and Mac yesterday through the Botany Downs area, I suddenly realised there was a special green road lane for us to use, and I didn't need to sit in the queue. I was following Zed lanesplitting and looked in the mirrors to see Mac had stopped WAY back. "Oh - his bars are too wide..." then I realised later on that it wasn't his bars, but the huge arse on his bike due to the Givi rack and side cases. Oops... He'd had a go, but got stuck when the gap got too small. Luckily the guy in the car next to him, nodded, went "G'day!", and pulled over to let him into the queue ahead of him.
    ... and that's what I think.

Or summat.

Or maybe not...

Dunno really....

Bike
    Shanksters Pony
    Quote Originally Posted by enigma51
    Actually it would be nice if some of the cops on here would like to confirm this.
    We don't have motorways or bus lanes in my neck of the woods, sorry, can't help.

Bike
    fire breathin ginja ninja
    There's a lot of new bus lanes being put onto the northern at the moment. Wouldn't surprise me if they're trying to get us 'bikers' into good habits before it's completed. The worst case of confusion I could think of, would have to be the Esmond Rd onramp. It's a 50 zone and green bus lane passing the lights, then just as you get to the bridge for the motorway, it becomes 100ks and a motorway, so you have about 300m to get back on the road.. I don't use that bus lane tho

Bike
    2001 RC46
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spudchucka
    We don't have motorways or bus lanes in my neck of the woods, sorry, can't help.
    You lucky, lucky bastid!
    Motorways are the debbil.
    Bus lanes are the debbil. Except for when they're not the motorway (debbil) ones and allow you to ride past all the cars.
    ... and that's what I think.

Or summat.

Or maybe not...

Dunno really....

Bike
    Dont loose focus people the bus lane issue a sort off a add on to the real quesion of are we allowed to lane split as long as we keep to the rules above (Original post)

"It is better to have ridden & crashed than never to have ridden at all" by Bruce Bennett

DB is the new Porridge. Cause most of the mods must be sucking his cock ..... Or his giving them some oral help? How else can you explain it?

Bike
    KTM 690 DUKE R
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedMedic
    Local by-laws.. happens all the time in different Cities about different stuff. Ever wondered why Pak 'n Save at Albany sells liquor but Henderson doesn't?.. different by-laws.
    thats why the new bus law came about, to give the public one idea about the whole issue to make it standard across the country and stop it being a different law every time you crossed in to a new councils patch

Henderson and west have those special liqour places that give back to the community, much better in my opinion, boss got a brand new car seat from the local alcohol store when his mrs popped out a sprocket

Bike
    Turbocharged KWAKAs or GPZs Little ones
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedMedic
    PM duley sent to the NodMan.. expect reply here soon.
    The one day I check my msgs eh Medic...can only confirm that NO use of Bus lanes, Emergency Breakdown shoulders, Medians, or any OTHER shoulders allowed on MOTORWAYS at all except for Emergency Services vehicles in execution of their duties!!!!!

Auckland City Coucil has a bylaw allowing motorcycles and bicycles to use THEIR bus lanes but it is NOT country wide!!!

Can only confirm that North Shore City Council allow motorcycles, bicycles and cars with THREE or more LIVE HUMAN occupants ( Sorry glen you can't take your two blow up dolls with ya!!) to use their TRANSIT LANE (its not a bus lane officially) on Onewa Road

Hey guys, so I dont have to stop YOU (plenty of Tin Tops need my attention)

LANE SPLITTING--THE NOD TRANSPORT ACT--LANE SPLITTING--CLASS 101

You may Overtake any other moving vehicle on its right within the same lane so long as done with due care and consideration. (not careless/dangerously)

You may NOT undertake any other vehicle UNLESS it is......
    1 STATIONARY, (ie stopped at a red traffic light) or
    2 INDICATING A MOVE TO THE RIGHT, (changing lane right/rightturn)
    RIDE THE ROAD....RACE THE TRACK.....DRAG THE STRIP......NODMAN....retired(now whose happy?)

Bike
    KTM 690 DUKE R
    Quote Originally Posted by NodMan
    Auckland City Coucil has a bylaw allowing motorcycles and bicycles to use THEIR bus lanes but it is NOT country wide!!!
    pretty sure I am right back there Nodman, the law changed earlier this year, i direct you to http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/road-user-sa...ew-road-rules/

and in paticular
    Previously road users’ responsibilities relating to cycle, bus, and transit lanes were covered by local council bylaws. The Road User Rule makes these requirements consistent nationally.
    and
    Can motorcycles use bus lanes?
    Yes, unless specifically excluded by signs.

How do I know it’s a bus lane?
    The words BUS LANE will be marked on the road, indicating the lane is for this purpose.
    all from http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/road-user-sa...s.html#special

Bike
    pretty sure I am right back there Nodman, the law changed earlier this year, i direct you to http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/road-user-sa...ew-road-rules/

and in paticular

and

all from http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/road-user-sa...s.html#special
    Spot on Saslex...the Road User Rule has made it National...signage still not universal thru country but coming in line at moment...Can tell you that the Auckland Motorway Bus Lane signage had the "BUSES ONLY" signs added to come in line with the new rule ...sorry no knowledge of other motorways round the country
    RIDE THE ROAD....RACE THE TRACK.....DRAG THE STRIP......NODMAN....retired(now whose happy?)

Bike
    KTM 690 DUKE R
    Can tell you that the Auckland Motorway Bus Lane signage had the "BUSES ONLY" signs added to come in line with the new rule
    which still dont conform to their own rule that signage must "specifically exclude" bikes, which those signs dont dont use the ones on the MW anyway, far safer splitting not as likely to pick up a puncture

Bike
    The one day I check my msgs eh Medic...can only confirm that NO use of Bus lanes, Emergency Breakdown shoulders, Medians, or any OTHER shoulders allowed on MOTORWAYS at all except for Emergency Services vehicles in execution of their duties!!!!!

Can only confirm that North Shore City Council allow motorcycles, bicycles and cars with THREE or more LIVE HUMAN occupants ( Sorry glen you can't take your two blow up dolls with ya!!) to use their TRANSIT LANE (its not a bus lane officially) on Onewa Road

Hey guys, so I dont have to stop YOU (plenty of Tin Tops need my attention)

LANE SPLITTING--THE NOD TRANSPORT ACT--LANE SPLITTING--CLASS 101

You may Overtake any other moving vehicle on its right within the same lane so long as done with due care and consideration. (not careless/dangerously)

You may NOT undertake any other vehicle UNLESS it is......
    1 STATIONARY, (ie stopped at a red traffic light) or
    2 INDICATING A MOVE TO THE RIGHT, (changing lane right/rightturn)

Any KBers that have any other questions just look out for the nitrous/supercharged HONDA on a motorway near you!! ha ha
    Thanks nodman I thought the lane splitting thing was a bit of a thumb suck

Bike
    Shanksters Pony
    Quote Originally Posted by vifferman
    You lucky, lucky bastid!
    Motorways are the debbil.
    Bus lanes are the debbil. Except for when they're not the motorway (debbil) ones and allow you to ride past all the cars.
    Just to rub it in, we dont even have a set of traffic lights in my town and no parking meters either!

Bike
    which still dont conform to their own rule that signage must "specifically exclude" bikes, which those signs dont dont use the ones on the MW anyway, far safer splitting not as likely to pick up a puncture
    Transit seem to think they exclude ALL vehicles excluding SCHEDULED bus services...without a test case I wouldnt like to comment

agree with you about the puncture issue on the shoulders...over 100,000km on the trusty ST1100s and I dont ever wear out a tyre, the punctures and blow outs get em every time

Thread Information