Advertise with Kiwi Biker
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22

Thread: Changes to WOF Testing

  1. #1
    Join Date
    20th January 2008 - 17:29
    Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Location
    Auckland NZ's Epicentre
    Posts
    3,516

    Changes to WOF Testing

    I took my Sons Hyosung 650 in for a WOF as he's overseas and its taking up valuable classic bike space.
    I was told that they were no longer going to be doing motorcycle WOF's as the ride/brake test was no longer sufficient and he spoke of
    machines with rotating rollers.. digital displays and other wonderment for testing brakes.

    He said based on volume of motorcycles, cost of compliance and so forth that they made the decision to cease testing motorcycles.
    OMG....where am I to go with my cable drum brakes

    They were $29 Vs the 'discounted AA Member" 40 summit dollars that I was finding increasingly picky over my inability to lock the rear of my Commando ( which being a cable they won't do) and Lucas saving led bits.
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    25th October 2002 - 17:30
    Bike
    GSXR1000
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    8,338
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
    I took my Sons Hyosung 650 in for a WOF as he's overseas and its taking up valuable classic bike space.
    I was told that they were no longer going to be doing motorcycle WOF's as the ride/brake test was no longer sufficient and he spoke of
    machines with rotating rollers.. digital displays and other wonderment for testing brakes.

    He said based on volume of motorcycles, cost of compliance and so forth that they made the decision to cease testing motorcycles.
    OMG....where am I to go with my cable drum brakes

    They were $29 Vs the 'discounted AA Member" 40 summit dollars that I was finding increasingly picky over my inability to lock the rear of my Commando ( which being a cable they won't do) and Lucas saving led bits.
    News to me. I've searched for an announcement on this and can't find anything. My brother owns a workshop and does bike warrants, I'll ask him. Rollers and digital readouts aren't even required for cars at wof time.
    http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/signaturepics/sigpic31_1.gif

  3. #3
    Join Date
    15th February 2005 - 15:34
    Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Location
    The Gates of Delirium
    Posts
    8,786
    I'm a WOF issuing authority and it's news to me.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    5th January 2007 - 14:58
    Bike
    motocompo
    Location
    Buttfuck nowhere
    Posts
    4,739
    Another WOF inspector that heard it here first.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    2nd March 2018 - 15:32
    Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    588
    Nothing on the NZTA website either. Could be fun trying to test motorcycle brakes on rollers.

    Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Join Date
    1st September 2007 - 21:01
    Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    13,047
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
    ... He said based on volume of motorcycles, cost of compliance and so forth that they made the decision to cease testing motorcycles.
    In other words ... he doesn't need your business ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
    OMG....where am I to go with my cable drum brakes
    Your next thread topic maybe ...
    Sweat wipes off. Road-rash doesn't.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    20th January 2008 - 17:29
    Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Location
    Auckland NZ's Epicentre
    Posts
    3,516
    I could not find any info to support his elaborately crafted story, 6 month wofs are a pita.
    Back to the ol Mt Roskill AA .....
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    13th July 2008 - 20:48
    Bike
    K1600GTL
    Location
    Rangiora
    Posts
    4,005
    Further to this.

    I got charged $63 for my last WoF. At least Dick Turpin wore a mask.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    2nd March 2018 - 15:32
    Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    588
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    Further to this.

    I got charged $63 for my last WoF. At least Dick Turpin wore a mask.
    VTNZ? AA are about $40 from memory.

    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

  10. #10
    Join Date
    13th September 2012 - 20:50
    Bike
    1988 BMW R80RT
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    174
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    Further to this.

    I got charged $63 for my last WoF. At least Dick Turpin wore a mask.

    Obviously a 12 month WOf costs more than a 6 month WOF ,,,, seems to make sense.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    12th July 2003 - 01:10
    Bike
    Harley, Marina & a V8 or two..
    Location
    The Riviera of the South
    Posts
    13,978
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbyhorse View Post
    Obviously a 12 month WOf costs more than a 6 month WOF ,,,, seems to make sense.

    You ARE being sarkartick ain't you?

    It costs just as much in time and material to do both WOFs.
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 13,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

  12. #12
    Join Date
    13th July 2008 - 20:48
    Bike
    K1600GTL
    Location
    Rangiora
    Posts
    4,005
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbyhorse View Post
    Obviously a 12 month WOf costs more than a 6 month WOF ,,,, seems to make sense.
    For the same service? Really?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    20th January 2008 - 17:29
    Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Location
    Auckland NZ's Epicentre
    Posts
    3,516
    I suspect that I potentially was being misled by the WOF Garage and it may have been an economic decision based on that they charge $29 and that attracts a fair bit of liability.

    Took the Commando to the AA...$42.00, and it got the usual cusary visual checks.
    Be good when they can just send a drone over instead of droning on.
    On the upside 12 months rego was only $56.00.
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    5th January 2007 - 14:58
    Bike
    motocompo
    Location
    Buttfuck nowhere
    Posts
    4,739
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
    I suspect that I potentially was being misled by the WOF Garage and it may have been an economic decision based on that they charge $29 and that attracts a fair bit of liability.

    Took the Commando to the AA...$42.00, and it got the usual cusary visual checks.
    Be good when they can just send a drone over instead of droning on.
    On the upside 12 months rego was only $56.00.
    They should have just said "go away" instead of creating a pile of bullshit that blames another party for their poor decision making.
    I have a WOF inspectors update course this evening, if there is a shred of evidence to support their claim I will share it here tomorrow morning.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    10th June 2006 - 18:35
    Bike
    KTM
    Location
    Wellington
    Posts
    398
    older bikes should pay more rego, less safety features

    -edit- also older riders with slower reaction times

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •