Thread: Opinions sought!

Bike
    2007 BMW F800R

Opinions sought!

Hi All

I've ridden bikes for about 15 years overall, mainly a Yamaha FSZ600 (2002) for most of this time in Europe, but haven't been on a bike since moving over here a few years ago (hence being more of a lurker than a poster to date!). I'm keen to get back in the saddle on a cafe racer style bike, and just wanted some opinions really about a second hand Thruxton (Trademe link below)

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/mot...a436086d70-001

Appreciate the balance of service history versus mileage, but I could buy a new Royal Enfield for about 2k more with 3 year warranty etc., or go for a 10 year old Thruxton.....any opinions out there that could help me decide?

Oxtail

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Looks pretty but ride one as it will be very different to your last bike.

The Enfeild more so. I have a mate with one (the RE) which he bops about on occasionally but I think that's for giggles and he uses his other bikes much more. Not really an only bike I'd say.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    less than I used to have
    ...a newer bonne', would be a more comfortable thing, handlebars don't make a cafe racer...a brown seat and muffler wrap do all that shit it seems...there is a TS50, cafe, on trademe right now...or a sporty

Bike
    Pani
    The Triumph is a better bike than the Enfield but you are dealing with high kms (relatively) in the old money its only 30k miles but still it all depends on how its been serviced so check it out. If you like Triumphs, perhaps save a few more shekels and get a lower km later model? Bike ownership is subjective so any bike that you like is perfect, but keep in mind the intended use. Commuting vs weekend riding, can you afford two bikes? The cafe trend is pretty naff, take an old crappy bike uglify it, make it very uncomfortable, then ensure it annoys the neighbours with a loud pipe...

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    The new RE 650s are getting good reviews. Had a 04 thruxton for about 6 months. Ok but dull.
    F5’s is probably referring to a RE single.
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Yes I was .
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    2007 BMW F800R
    Thanks, I might have to take a Bonnie out for a ride as well, so a Thruxton 900, RE Continental GT & a Bonnie....hmmm decisions....

Bike
    ajs 350 trials
    I owned a 2014 thruxton for about three years...quite enjoyed riding it on weekends etc had ohlins rear shocks british custom pipes and it went well and made all the right noises.
    it was in new forrest green with gold stripes , probably the prettiest colour scheme .
    sold it as iwas constantly riding at around 140km and that wasn't good for my license ! on longer rides I found the edges of the seat cut into my inner thighs so got quite painful after a couple of hours in the saddle. I am six foot two and 130kg this may not happen to you .
    the bonnies have a better riding position so will be more comfortable.
    hope this helps
    riding history into the future since ages ago.

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Have a look at a sv 1000n. It is a way better bike for the money. It will be substantially more powerful and also more comfortable than the Thruxton
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    2007 BMW F800R
    So, the Thruxton was a great ride, sounded nice and loud and a powerful bike, felt heavier that I anticipated but it was the first ride on one of them. The Royal Enfield was a real surprise (interceptor), felt much lighter and powerful enough but wasn't sure whether it was powerful enough towards the top end in for overtaking. Really surprised me how good it was to ride, but I'll think about it and perhaps take a Bonneville out for a test just to be sure.

Bike
    motocompo
    If you're looking at Thruxtons, you really need to have a go on one of these too.
    BMW R nine T Racer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	343599  

Thread Information