Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Moeraki crash

Bike
    various
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Racing Dave View Post
    Remember the Rainbow Warrior? Here's an analogy...

How well did that turn out. David Lange - NZ's most hypocritical PM.
    You with Greenpeace?

May the bridges I burn light the way.

Follow Vinny's MX racing on www.mxvinny.com

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by Conquiztador View Post
    The proportion of serious incidents caused by the number of visitors to NZ is much higher than for kiwis. I think the figure was something like the 2% of visitors on our roads cause 7% of serious injury/fatal crashes and a big proportion of them are through our summer period.

Regarding what to do with kiwi drivers that cause carnage. I thought you guys already had a plan for that? Is it not working??
    That's the lovely thing about numbers. You can use them any way you want.

I like these ones. Most crashes in NZ are caused by locals. Most are caused by Mr and Mrs Average.

Who caused them doesn't mean much, as cause is established post-crash. I want to anticipate crashes, so I can avoid having them.

Prevention is better than cure.

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonez View Post
    I personally think 3rd party insurance should be compulsory as part of the registration process. But then of course you have things like farmers vehicles such as 4 wheelers that aren't registered on roads frequented by the likes of myself who prefer to be off the main highways.
    don't mean jack shit if the driver is drunk, car is stolen, doesn't have a warrant of fitness etc

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    Actually quite good ideas. Won't happen but valid.

So, now that you have a plan for 2% of our driving population, what of the 98% that are locals? Who cause 95% of the crashes.

Asking for a friend.
    drunk drivers cause 10% of accidents, sober ones 90%, those statistics alone say we should ban sober drivers

Bike
    various
    Blog Entries
    That's the lovely thing about numbers. You can use them any way you want.

I like these ones. Most crashes in NZ are caused by locals. Most are caused by Mr and Mrs Average.

Who caused them doesn't mean much, as cause is established post-crash. I want to anticipate crashes, so I can avoid having them.

Prevention is better than cure.
    A big problem is normally made up of a bunch of smaller problems. To reduce the problem you would dissect the big problem to see where you can make the biggest difference by the least effort and cost.

Drink driving, driving while high and going over the speed limit are what is considered the main issues currently. Huge amount of man hours and resources are poured in to these three. Is it working? Many would say no when looking at the statistics. The only way to find out would be to stop the current action against these three causes. But that is not logical and I expect it would backfire badly. There seems to be no new ideas re how to get these three under control. As result the focus is on doing what we have been doing and pouring even more resources in to it. Do I have a solution here? No. It is not my area of expertise and quite a few are already paid good salaries to fix this. That it is not working would indicate that the wrong people have been given this task.

My suggested approach to the issue this thread is addressing was only about the issue we in NZ have with visitors who drive here, not about the huge problem as mentioned above. So for posters to come up with the "kiwis cause carnage too" does not belong here. And there are already a multitude of threads with that focus.

Bike
    various
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    drunk drivers cause 10% of accidents, sober ones 90%, those statistics alone say we should ban sober drivers
    Now we are getting somewhere!!

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    don't mean jack shit if the driver is drunk, car is stolen, doesn't have a warrant of fitness etc
    But drunk drivers only cause 10% of the incidents. What percentage of the 10% don't have reg/wof? There's probably a damn sight more sober drivers without reg/wof.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    But drunk drivers only cause 10% of the incidents. What percentage of the 10% don't have reg/wof? There's probably a damn sight more sober drivers without reg/wof.
    Vehicle factors cause around 5% of motorcycle fatalities. Road factors another 5%.

Motorcyclists are involved in 100% of motorcycle crashes. Couldn't resist this stat. It's open to interpretation.

By deduction, 90% of motorcycle crashes aren't caused by the road or by vehicles. A short list of suspects suggests that it is down to people. 90% of motorcycle crashes are caused by people.

Ban people from the transport system. Job done.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    .By deduction, 90% of motorcycle crashes aren't caused by the road or by vehicles. A short list of suspects suggests that it is down to people. 90% of motorcycle crashes are caused by people.
    Well bugger me days. That is hard one to get ones head around. I got hit in the front wheel by a cockeys blind wolf hound on the CX once. Luckily I was at almost walking pace because was moving sheep from one paddock to the other. The wolf hound was just follow the the other sheep dogs barks.We had a nice chat for half an hour or so. The things you come across on back country roads........

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Well bugger me days. That is hard one to get ones head around. I got hit in the front wheel by a cockeys blind wolf hound on the CX once. Luckily I was at almost walking pace because was moving sheep from one paddock to the other. The wolf hound was just follow the the other sheep dogs barks.We had a nice chat for half an hour or so. The things you come across on back country roads........
    Good god, Cassina's back!

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    Good god, Cassina's back!

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    He's obviously a handsome chap that rides quality motorcycles.

Btw thanks for quoting me. It will annoy the shit out of Laava, being the fragile thing she is.

Bike
    various
    Blog Entries
    Vehicle factors cause around 5% of motorcycle fatalities. Road factors another 5%.

Motorcyclists are involved in 100% of motorcycle crashes. Couldn't resist this stat. It's open to interpretation.

By deduction, 90% of motorcycle crashes aren't caused by the road or by vehicles. A short list of suspects suggests that it is down to people. 90% of motorcycle crashes are caused by people.

Ban people from the transport system. Job done.
    You seem to have a drawer full of statistics. Perhaps you can find the answer to this one: How many % of bike crashes are caused by riders on stolen bikes?? And how many % are caused by riders on bikes w/o WOF and/or Rego?

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    You seem to have a drawer full of statistics. Perhaps you can find the answer to this one: How many % of bike crashes are caused by riders on stolen bikes?? And how many % are caused by riders on bikes w/o WOF and/or Rego?
    That one would need to go to my former employer.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    ... Ban people from the transport system. Job done.
    They ARE working on it ... be patient ..
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    It was on the good
    How many % of bike crashes are caused by riders on stolen bikes??
    I could check as rastuscat can't be arsed but honestly, it is insignificant. Well, at least in New Zealand, Auckland might be a different matter.

And how many % are caused by riders on bikes w/o WOF and/or Rego?
    With the ACC levy the way it is some people no longer pay rego. This does not increase their crash risk in the slightest. There are certainly a number of fuckwits out there on unregistered bikes that could never get a warrant but again, a minority.

Thread Information