Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Electric Road Bike

Bike
    '21 Ducati Multistrada 950S
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    But more to it than that. The swingarm with shaft, final drive, wheel with disk, caliper and tyre of a GS1100G, on scales with the suspension units disconnected (so pretty much all the unsprung weight) is around 35 -38 Kgs. The rear end of a Gold Wing, Venture Royale, Concours or any of the big BMWs is going to be around the same. They all handle pretty well,
    They handle well at 350+ kg for that wheel weight. Now imagine that weight wheel assembly on a bike that is 200 kg. It's not going to be pleasant unless you only go in a straight line.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    lithium batteries are lighter than the box they come in.
    Bull shit. AAA and AAs yes but not lithium batteries used in transport-ie cards motorcycles, aircraft. But keep on showing your complete ignorance.

Just saying...

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonez View Post
    Bull shit. AAA and AAs yes but not lithium batteries used in transport-ie cards motorcycles, aircraft. But keep on showing your complete ignorance.

Just saying...
    Actually, you need to do some reading on automotive batteries for EVs. You will be unpleasantly surprised to see how wrong you actually are.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeeper View Post
    Actually, you need to do some reading on automotive batteries for EVs. You will be unpleasantly surprised to see how wrong you actually are.
    Lol. Go and pick up a large lithium battery packfrom a disabled mobility scooter.

When was the last time you lot recieved or transported lithium batteries from/ to overseas countries on a regular basis like I have?

Bike
    Only if you pick up a battery pack of same kWh capacity of other materials first.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Only if you pick up a battery pack of same kWh capacity of other materials first.
    That is just

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    batteries used in transport-ie cards motorcycles, aircraft. But keep on showing your complete ignorance.

Just saying...
    At least he can spell ...

Just saying ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    At least he can spell ...

Just saying ...
    You are an angry wee man. Whats that saying?

Oh yes- "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery "

That's a very luvly Xmas present.

So thank you very much.

If ever manage to afford a ferry crossing pop over our way and feel free to stay a few days and explore the Whanganiu districts, Wirerappers, Manwatus and Southern/Central Hawkes Bays marvelous back country roads.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    If ever manage to afford a ferry crossing pop over our way and feel free to stay a few days and explore the Whanganiu districts, Wirerappers, Manwatus and Southern/Central Hawkes Bays marvelous back country roads.
    Nah. I did all that lot on a 79 GS1000e in the early 1980's ... it wasn't too bad in gravel. The Para Para's wasn't too bad either if it wasn't raining. Wellington and around Egmont and back to Welly town in one day once. I got pulled over (going a tad faster than he liked) by a Black n white (1600 Mk3 cortina) and given a stern talking to. A 30 minute lecture and he let me continue. I still made it back to Fort Dorset before the mess closed for dinner.

The road through Pongaroa way was fun (then). Spent a night in the pub.

Have you been Tangiwai - Kakatahi ... ???

Or the route from Mataroa down Rongiti road ... then onto Tiriraukawa road, then onto Watershed road ... then on to Kie Kie road. You hit State highway one near the Rangitera golf course. There won't be many Camper vans on those roads. It is sealed now.

Bike
    Nah. I did all that lot on a 79 GS1000e in the early 1980's ... it wasn't too bad in gravel. The Para Para's wasn't too bad either if it wasn't raining. Wellington and around Egmont and back to Welly town in one day once. I got pulled over (going a tad faster than he liked) by a Black n white (1600 Mk3 cortina) and given a stern talking to. A 30 minute lecture and he let me continue. I still made it back to Fort Dorset before the mess closed for dinner.

The road through Pongaroa way was fun (then). Spent a night in the pub.

Have you been Tangiwai - Kakatahi ... ???

Or the route from Mataroa down Rongiti road ... then onto Tiriraukawa road, then onto Watershed road ... then on to Kie Kie road. You hit State highway one near the Rangitera golf course. There won't be many Camper vans on those roads. It is sealed now.
    To bring it back to "on topic", would you be able to do the same trip on an electric bike? If so, which one.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    To bring it back to "on topic", would you be able to do the same trip on an electric bike? If so, which one.
    Either. It's downhill for about halfway on either ...

What could possibly be wrong with this theory .. ???

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Fields Track (Tangiwai - Kakatahi ) is a bit over 40 km's.

Bike
    Street Triple R + Yamaha R3
    Fields Track (Tangiwai - Kakatahi ) is a bit over 40 km's.
    That's a bit of road that's long been on my list to do.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Bike
    Either. It's downhill for about halfway on either ...

What could possibly be wrong with this theory .. ???
    I meant which electric bike

Bike
    Sur-Ron Light Bee, 2020
    After lockdown I decided I'd had enough of buses and bought myself a Sur-Ron Light Bee for commuting around Wellington and general blatting about. Six months later I'm loving it but it is what it is - light, fun, and quiet but not a full-size bike. There's good and bad:

The good:
    1. It's just easy. No gears or clutch, it just goes. The accelerator is also most of the braking, coz regen. The actual brakes are just for emergencies and coming to a stop, which is good coz they're mountain bike brakes.
    2. It's really quiet. The chain is the loudest part. I can get out on dirt without pissing off everyone within a kilometre. Sur-Ron are bringing out a belt-conversion for the final drive and I'm very tempted for even more stealth.
    3. No petrol stations, just charge at home.
    4. Running costs are close to nothing. I'll spend more on tyres than electricity.
    5. Instant torque, especially from stationary. It's trivial to lift the front end and I've yet to find a slope that it won't just cruise up.
    6. It only weighs 50 kg so if the battery is flat I can just carry it home.
    7. Stock tops out at 70k. People are modding these to 25 KW with new batteries and controllers. Fastest so far is 120k. That will also need upgrades from the mountain bike brakes.
    8. People keep talking to me at traffic lights: "yes it's electric, 70k, 3 hours, yes I like it."

The bad:
    1. There are none in stock in NZ or Australia till maybe March. Maybe later than that.
    2. It is tiny. I'm 185 tall and had to get a longer stem and peg droppers to get comfy.
    3. I shredded the primary belt out past Red Rocks. To be fair, I was playing silly buggers in deep sand. The belt is a standard industrial part so all of $35 but replacing it means the faff of taking off the swingarm.
    4. The tail light/plate/hugger on the road legal version is ugly as hell, sticks out too far, and gets in the way. I moved the light and plate but that took some head-scratching to come up with a better solution coz the bike is so tiny that there's not many places to move stuff to.
    5. For the purchase price, I could have got a new Honda 250, which would be a lot faster, if louder. Or if I wanted the cheapest commuter I'd have spent half that much on a scooter and lived with putting $5 of fuel in it every week or so.
    6. It's not a Real Bike for Real Men. Whatever...
    7. People keep talking to me at traffic lights: "yes it's electric, 70k, 3 hours, yes I like it."

So overall it's working for me. If you want a bike you can ride all day or one that will let you triple the speed limit or don't want to spend a bit more then electrics aren't there yet. Thing is though, electric bikes are getting better much faster than petrol bikes are getting better. Batteries are getting cheaper and longer lasting every year. So it's going to happen. Not quite yet, but not far off.

Thread Information