Thread: Yamaha Tenere 700 or Honda CRF1100L Africa Twin ?

Bike
    2015 KTM 200 xcw

Yamaha Tenere 700 or Honda CRF1100L Africa Twin ?

G’day everyone. I’m in the market for a new adventure bike. I was planning on purchasing a Tenere 700 until my better half said that she also wants to join me on a ride every so often. Now I’ve changed my planning more towards a 2021 Africa Twin ( standard manual one). Now I know the bikes are different in engine size and the Tenere is a better off road machine. Purchase price is also different.

I have not ridden adventure bikes in NZ before, so would like a bit of feedback on which bike would suit my situation better. I have a on and off road background. I plan on doing trips through the North and South Island and will probably only have a pillion 15% of the time.

Any feedback would be great.

Cheers
    Tim

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    I guess it boils down to how adventurous you intend your riding to be. The T7 is on my want one list because it's simple and effective for punting on rougher tracks. Also, the engine is a peach and it does not have loads of electronics to undermine my confidence. I would happily tour on one but probably not massive distances.

Compromised on comfort and oomph.

A recent review I watched of the AT gave me pause for thought. It took them 5 minutes to figure out how to turn off the ABS for some off road shenanigans. Apart from that the bike performed well, Toni Bou makes it look epic. Looks like they munch the miles very comfortably, too.

I suspect their is very little in it on twisty roads and gravel.

I have ridden neither but would lean towards the AT for refinement and mile munching + tech. The T7 for going a bit feral and not getting washed to often.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    I think you need to honestly assess your riding, your purpose, what you intend to be doing. What do you define as adventure?

Are you wanting to do the rides like the Motu, Waikaremoana and the like, effectively, for lack of a better word, the highways of the unsealed world, or do you want to be heading into the 42nd Traverse, 10 Man Hut etc?

Arguably, any bike can do either (and has been done) but it's about the terrain, how you handle bikes (and your size) and what you're frequently going to be doing. Many say riding off road, but it's gravel exploring... which is still a road...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    2022 Honda CB500X, CBR150RS F4 Bucket
    I've had a Tenere 700 since Feb '20. We've done several trips two up. 700cc/74hp is plenty enough. The T7 is capable and comfortable. In fact my wife says its the best bike I've had for her on the back. Recent bike history is Transalp 650, Ktm 625, BMW G650GS Ktm 625, Multistrada 1000DS, Hyperstrada 820 and now the Tenere 700. Cheers.
    Sometimes you wish it was easier, but if it was, everyone else would do it, then you remember you don't want to be like everybody else!

Bike
    2015 KTM 200 xcw
    Thank you for the feedback. I rode the Africa Twin today. Wow. I felt very comfortable on it. Did a small section of gravel road. No worries. It felt a lot lighter than I thought it would. Now I just need to find a T7 that I can ride to compare it to. Going to see if I can line a demo up for next week.

Bike
    R100GSPD
    Quote Originally Posted by Timrumble View Post
    Thank you for the feedback. I rode the Africa Twin today. Wow. I felt very comfortable on it. Did a small section of gravel road. No worries. It felt a lot lighter than I thought it would. Now I just need to find a T7 that I can ride to compare it to. Going to see if I can line a demo up for next week.
    you may have trouble.The only Yamaha shop i actually went in to see one couldnt get anymore till late in the year.One of the salemen had his own one which he offered to me for a ride.

Bike
    2015 KTM 200 xcw
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWST? View Post
    you may have trouble.The only Yamaha shop i actually went in to see one couldnt get anymore till late in the year.One of the salemen had his own one which he offered to me for a ride.

Thanks BMWST, I think I might have found one I can test.

Bike
    KTM
    A friend had deposit on a T700 for ages, and according to him the price kept creeping up even tho the thing didn't have a delivery date, so he dropped the extra beans on a KTM 890 ADV R in country ready to go. Availability is a big problem at the moment.

Bike
    2015 KTM 200 xcw
    I rode the a Tenere 700 demo today. Phil’s Motorcycles in Matamata have one available. I can’t say enough about the great service I got from Phil.
    For me it is close between the T7 and Africa Twin. Both have their positives and negatives and I would be happy to own ether. I am leaning towards the T7. My mind will be made up by Monday…….

Thread Information