Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: When is it time to call it a day?

Bike
    22"Z900rsSE, Z1R, FZR1000, KTM 2 smoker
    And then some of us are dumb enough to start racing at 60 FFS.
    I ask myself the same question every time I fall off but its a drug right, an Addiction.

An Idea
    What about the option of something a little more reserved. Less power. Not as sharp, Not as high but can still be fun.
    Will still get you on a Sunday cruise or Coromandel trip. Still get it to the edge of a tyre, still take the missus on the back for Sunday Coffee.

Like a Bonnie or something similar.

Fade out slowly
    On a Motorcycle you're penetrating distance, right along with the machine!! In a car you're just a spectator, the windshields like a TV!!

'Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out! Shouting, ' Holy sh!t... What a Ride!! '

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    I think ages hits us all differently. I started racing at 21 (too late) and hit my peak at 40. (Also late) But some legends are still winning at 50. I'd started slowing by 44.

So when you decide to leave the road will also depend and be a wholly personal choice.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Reckless View Post
    I ask myself the same question every time I fall off but its a drug right, an Addiction.
    "Racing makes heroin addiction seem like a mild craving for something salty" not sure where I read that but I understand the sentiment
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    Street Triple R
    I found out today that the road to Akaroa is going to be 80kph from Halswell to Little River and 60kph over the hill starting soon. Talk about suck the life out of a fun bit of road. Having said that I dont ride fast on the road anymore. It will just give fucktards an excuse to do 70kph on the bits where you can do 140 easily. Ugh.

For me giving up will be either when I can't swing my leg up n over (I already get on most bikes like a horse i.e. left foot on the peg stand up and over. The big thing will probably be eyesight - or when I dont enjoy it any more. I do fuck all ks in any given year now basically a sunday afternoon cruiser. Dont even commute like I used to a bit at the old office.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    I found out today that the road to Akaroa is going to be 80kph from Halswell to Little River and 60kph over the hill starting soon. Talk about suck the life out of a fun bit of road. Having said that I dont ride fast on the road anymore. It will just give fucktards an excuse to do 70kph on the bits where you can do 140 easily. Ugh.

why not just get a little 2 stroke for the Akaroa road.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    1969 Honda S90
    NZTA are also making all roads in Northland 80KPH-How boring will the Waipu straights be?-How many cameras in the passing lanes in the same area?

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
    NZTA are also making all roads in Northland 80KPH-How boring will the Waipu straights be?-How many cameras in the passing lanes in the same area?
    Yeah, 80kmh has been my default setting for awhile now.

Shirley not an issue on your local chicanery? No way the feds will get a bead on you with all those lovely corners.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reckless View Post

Fade out slowly
    Yes, I started racing bikes in 1970, moved overseas in 85 and flagged bikes for 13 years.

Returned to NZ and fiddled with a 1200 bandit...just for fun.
    At 58 ,59 and 60 yrs old entered the Vic winter series.Best thing I ever did. Different world coming back,I was so relaxed and tho only in a clubmans class I had a ball.....
    I treasure the Sash's probably more than my others from earlier years...

Still peddling my gsx1400 at 73 ,tho do think about "how long do I do this " ????? lol

You'd never go hungry with Nigella Gaz.
    If it weren't for flashbacks...I'd have no memory at all..

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
    NZTA told us that you don't have passing lanes in 80kph areas, the passing lanes were removed. I don't think you'll need to worry about cameras in the passing lanes, there won't be any passing lanes.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by roogazza View Post
    Still peddling my gsx1400 at 73 ,tho do think about "how long do I do this " ????? lol
    May you have many more years on 2 wheels!

My last ride is tomorrow when I deliver the sold KTM to Hamilton. Next step on Wednesday is to look for an e-mountain bike for road work and the (gentler) trails on the Coromandel Peninsula. Started the next phase of what I want to do more of yesterday with an outing in the MG with neighbours who also have a couple of MG's. Might even be able to go snapper fishing later in the week .

No rest for the wicked
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Collage.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	537.5 KB 
ID:	350752  

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    why not just get a little 2 stroke for the Akaroa road.
    The TZR350 3MA I want is now nearly $20k (I want a nice one). Or an NSR250 SP (with the wee credit card). or the V Twin RGV250. Oohhhh errr. Left field choice one of those 500cc Rotax Gilera Saturnos. Having said that a short fat man shouldnt sit on any of them because of the huge amount of arsecrack I would show. Plus the whole leaning forward and hurting wrists after ten minutes.

leaving aside the thermonuclear domestic consequences if I turned up on another bike - give you a hint "Motherfucker what the fuck???? You've got three bikes all the same that go and one in fucking bits that doesn't fucking go what the fuck are you doing you useless fucking cunt? Fuck!"

My SO sounds just like Samuel L Jackson in a PULP FICTION outtake when she's annoyed. I only got away with the M1100 because of the "safety features" - ABS and TC.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    NZTA told us that you don't have passing lanes in 80kph areas, the passing lanes were removed. I don't think you'll need to worry about cameras in the passing lanes, there won't be any passing lanes.
    and double yellows allllllllll the way.

the only answer is to occupy Parliament. or discard your number plates and ride en masse like the dirtbike numpties in Orklind.

Bike
    husaberg
    The TZR350 3MA I want is now nearly $20k (I want a nice one). Or an NSR250 SP (with the wee credit card). or the V Twin RGV250. Oohhhh errr. Left field choice one of those 500cc Rotax Gilera Saturnos. Having said that a short fat man shouldnt sit on any of them because of the huge amount of arsecrack I would show. Plus the whole leaning forward and hurting wrists after ten minutes.

leaving aside the thermonuclear domestic consequences if I turned up on another bike - give you a hint "Motherfucker what the fuck???? You've got three bikes all the same that go and one in fucking bits that doesn't fucking go what the fuck are you doing you useless fucking cunt? Fuck!"

My SO sounds just like Samuel L Jackson in a PULP FICTION outtake when she's annoyed. I only got away with the M1100 because of the "safety features" - ABS and TC.
    Both of those were a little faster than i was thinking most of the fun i have ever had was on nimble small underpowered bikes.
    dicing with mates on similar underpowered bikes
    i always loved the look of those Saturnosit was the bike the GB500 should have been.
    Honda did a flat track we never seen later (not the FT500)

but i can see you on a t125 stinger with high pipes
    or a CL175
    or a Xr400 supermoto
    or better still a Derbi senda 50cc supermoto
    Fuck it a YZ85 powered YSR50
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    Both of those were a little faster than i was thinking most of the fun i have ever had was on nimble small underpowered bikes.
    dicing with mates on similar underpowered bikes
    i always loved the look of those Saturnosit was the bike the GB500 should have been.
    Honda did a flat track we never seen later (not the FT500)

but i can see you on a t125 stinger with high pipes
    or a CL175
    or a Xr400 supermoto
    or better still a Derbi senda 50cc supermoto
    Fuck it a YZ85 powered YSR50
    Now I desperately want a YZ85 powered YSR50

Bike
    husaberg
    Now I desperately want a YZ85 powered YSR50
    Eddie Lawson had one made for Kenny's mini track