Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The real (fake) Akaroa GP

Bike
    GSXR1000

The real (fake) Akaroa GP

For more years than I care to remember (but lets say 30) the ride to Akaroa has been my, and everyone else's, local go to. And over those years friends and I have often discussed a couple scenarios. Firstly, wouldn't it be great to have an Akaroa TT. Close off the road and have timed runs. And secondly, as we liked to play GP500 back in the early 90's on computers, it would be cool to have the road in a virtual world where you could ride any bike on it. Fast forward to 2022 and thanks to a little known motorcycle sim, GP Bikes, and VR the potential to have this has been realised.

Just over 3yrs a good friend said he needed a new computer and was going to get a Virtual Reality system. I too needed a new computer, and having read about the use of VR with severe chronic pain sufferers (and yes it has an effect) I figured I get the same. And my perception of computers changed. If you've not tried VR it's hard to explain, you know you're not in the world you're experiencing, but your brain reacts like you are. And it's very easy to believe you are actually in that world when you get involved with tasks. Your heart races in intense scenes, you physically react, ducking, moving, flinching. I have over 1500hrs in a driving sim, and I still sometimes reach to adjust the rear view mirror, or tense up and close my eyes when sliding towards the armco at 100mph haha.

Then last year I discovered the title GP Bikes, and that it supported VR. It's actually been around for maybe 8yrs but always in development, and it still is. But it's at the point where the community is strong now (we have a Moto2 rider who is involved daily with the community) who have made some great content for it, from 50cc to 500cc GP bikes, SBK legends, MotoGP and WSBK from different seasons, M2 and M3, along with Cup bikes and a few street bikes, plus a huge variety of tracks. So I figured it was time to learn a new skill.

With no experience of making anything on a computer (video editing aside), no knowledge of 3d software, game engines or anything I set about learning to create a track, Of course, it had to be the Akaroa GP. That was just over 3mths ago. I've put somewhere between 400-500hrs to get where I am now and I'd say I'm around 60% complete. Just for the hill. I've placed over 16,000 objects manually, trees, bushes, made road signs, fences etc. And there is so much more to add, power poles, mailbox's, driveways, buildings etc. But it's at a point now where I'm actually quite impressed, in fact I wouldn't believe I'd made it if it wasn't for the hundreds of builds I've been through the past few months ha.

To those that say "it's just a game" or "I'd rather be out riding my real bike", yes it is just a game and so would I. However, as it's a game (simulator) you don't get tickets, you don't get injured, you don't pay for tyres, you don't have to put up with other traffic, you don't have to worry about the weather. And yeah I'd rather be out riding my bike too, and I still do. But the Akaroa GP is gone now, 60kmh limit on the hill, 80kmh on the other roads.

My friend and I are building a couple of motorcycle rigs for it. With rearsets, clipon's, hydraulic brakes, clutch, simulated gearbox feel, bike throttle. We're already on v1 of that and you hop off after a session exhausted. With the VR system it's incredibly immersive, I lowsided a Husky SM450R the other night, I lifted my inside leg up as I went down. I laughed to myself how dumb that was, as I ducked under a couple branches returning to the track...

It's also taught me a lot more about clearly looking through corners. I've always done that but never to the extent the sim allows because you can take more 'risks' without the consequences. I seriously believe it could not only be used for entertainment but also as a learning tool. Especially with the bike rig.

So here's a video (best to watch in 1440p) of the latest build. As I said, this is maybe 60% complete. And 3mths ago I didn't know a 'normal' from a 'node'.

Last edited by onearmedbandit; 23rd October 2022 at 11:44.

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Oh here's a track some might recognise. I taught myself how to convert already made tracks to GPB as well. This still needs the dipper section sorted (it was from a car sim) but it's huge fun too.

Last edited by onearmedbandit; 23rd October 2022 at 16:20.

Bike
    Exercycle
    The opening shots of Puna at the end of the straight where a Ducati comes over and takes the line will bring back memory flashes for a mate. Avoiding the Duc he hit the anchors so hard he rolled a TZ over forwards. Just watching I had the same instinct. It was young O'Connor on the Duc in a F2GP.
    Google GS1000 racing by the Bedford boyz. The shots in that will possibly help. It's Kevin Orr on an early version of the GS I built for him.

Edit Just looked at the Akaroa run. Never seen the road without caravans and boat trailers. Impressive skills putting it together. There are a couple of spots on the uphill where I was half expecting Rob Lewis to come under you. For years he was the king of that road.

Bike
    It was on the good
    Top work that man.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Thank you for that, I've never ridden that road, and to do it on a TZ was special. I spannered a little for a mate with a 97(?) and was always going to get a go , but reasons and his crazy woman affliction. Probably should have bought it off him. Maybe I could have done ok on a bike better suited to my size rather than tiddlers which I was too big for in honesty.
    Kinda feels a bit like a chance to finally do so. Would love to get a rig set up in the future to experience that even better. Will be our future when we can no longer ride on the road, or are too infirm to go batshit crazy.

Actually I'm quite reserved on the road, though today as we were exploring the far reaches of the Wairarapa, we happened on a considerable stretch of closed road which we were allowed to enjoy with the blessing of the good lord and satan.

Some of those roads did need some repairs mind. Still guess that's why they were closed, wink wink.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    CT110 Super Cub - postie bike
    Wow. That is fabulous! Found myself leaning into the corners on my computer chair! Did get a bit of motion sickness but that may have had something to do with alcohol though.
    Grow older but never grow up

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Did seem a bit dry off pipe. Try a needle with a sharper taper, maybe a shallower slide.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    I'm super impressed on the tech level, building all of that. A lot of time and passion went in!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Very nice indeed. When you finish this, can you do Rimutaka* hill bridge to bridge, please? :-)

* aka remutaka
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    ES XTZ
    Quote Originally Posted by onearmedbandit View Post

Thats a fine vid you have here pretty much spot on even at 60%

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    Did seem a bit dry off pipe. Try a needle with a sharper taper, maybe a shallower slide.
    Nowhere on the hill for a plug chop.You're expected to have done it on the straights before Birdlings Flat.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Straights will only tell you mainjet. You have to select your needle by throttle response and resonance off surrounding landscape.

Bike
    So old you won't care
    in the 60s my folks built a bach at wainui - I recognised every part of that - hell of a job

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Thanks for the comments guys, really appreciated. A couple things to point out, firstly the way my video capture happens it stretches the perspective out when recording from VR. So the corners look shallower and the straights seem longer, it's not this way in game. In fact I imported a DEM model of Banks Peninsula straight into my 3d software and mapped the road from LIDAR data so it is 100% correct. Secondly, this is only the beginning. The plan is to get the full road from Tai Tapu (just outside Christchurch) through to Akaroa. All up that's around 90km...

Once again thanks.

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Excellent work, I’d pay top dollar if you get that to market with a few other nz roads. And thats referencing against my experiences with IOM TT 2 on PS4 which is so damn realistic it’s hard to control.
    Do you have to be super it nerd to build this up or is it just time intensive?
    Keep up good work.
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Thread Information