Thread: Mt09

Bike
    2001 zx9

Mt09

Hi all - wondering if anyone has a late model MT09 that i could study the shock linkage on , especially the forward mounting position of the shock. anyone in the Bay Of Plenty able to help? i only need to measure carefully with no dis-assembly or such. I have a project bike underway and have my eyes on the swingarm etc off one on ebay and need to be sure it'll work out. Cold beers offered in exchange for a few minutes with your bike...

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    I have s mate with one. But you'd be trusting my measurements. You would need to be real specific as to what you wanted.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    2001 zx9
    Hmmm wellington is so far away and the desert road is so cold... So thanks for the kind offer. if you had the rear shock topped out and measured the axle center to the center of the forward shock bolt ( that measurement will be on an angle as the shock bolt is 50 or so mm wide versus the axle being 280 or so. I'll need those widths to correct your measurement). also how far above the swingarm pivot the shock's fwd mount is (you may need to use calipers to measure the swingarms "bearing tube" then use verniers to measure the calipers then half that to get a calculated position for the pivot center). Finally for the next cold beer , the axle to swingarm pivot distance and roughly where the axle is in its adjustment range. photo's and sketches would earn a modest bar credit at the Waikiwi Tavern...

Bike
    Blog Entries
    I'll see if I can get up there on Friday if he isn't away, it's a 23 or 22. Pete also has one but much older so not a candidate, probably an 08ish.

I have some square tube I can bore a hole for a sliding pointer at right angles. Looking at pictures the forward shock bolt appears to be straight through the frame left spar?

Bike
    2001 zx9
    Actually i guess the first check should be to get a ball park figure on the swingarms length - scaling from photo's indicate 580-600mm. 620 would be good but less than 580 will be a show stopper

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Take one for a test ride. Then you wont get old motorbike mank on your vernier.
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Sorry, aborted at first measure. 2023 MT09. 531mm at 1/3rd adjustment. Apparently the Tracer sw is 2" longer, for what that is worth.

Made up a nice little measure device with some square tube and a right angle hole carefully drilled allowing a nice sliding fit on some 5mm brass rod as an adjustable pointer. Centre the pointer, square the tube parallel, scribe a line on the box ally and run a tape measure from the rod to the line minus the radius of the rod. Reckon I would get 1mm accuracy.

. . . Not that it mattered as we were 50mm shy of barely useable. Didn't bother after that. Stacked gearbox and all as the clutch is placed well high in cases. Maybe an R1?

Bike
    2001 zx9
    ok i went and measured a new tracer gt swingarm - 600mm - good news... but i've just been alerted to an auction closing soon of a flood damaged 2016 MTM850 - same as an XSR as far as i can determine. i suspect it will have the shorter swingarm - if anyone knows the length. i'll eagerly bid if it is the right length... tall order but just incase someone has one in the lounge (or basement)

Bike
    2001 zx9
    more googling infers the XSR got a 60mm longer swingarm in 2018 taking it to 592 so that 2016 bike has probably got a 531mm same as daves measurement... summer's not far away...

Thread Information