Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 12 months after retiring from riding

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
    When I turned 80 I figured it was time to sell my 100HP wheel lifting monster,but not give up riding.My ride now is a 50 plus year old Honda S90-10HP 80KPH flat out,cruise all day at 60 and so easy to handle.
    Definately not a long distance cruiser but real fun terrorising the neighbourhood.When I can no longer get my leg over the seat,I will then give up riding,in the meantime.
    S90s are pretty cool.
    maybe one of those 150 Chinese motors and a daytona 4v head might make it safer in urban traffic.
    Some of my funest times on bike was on CG125's nifty and DJ1 lead 80 and similar in heavy traffic. getting parts.
    i still kick myself i never got on of the 50 Benly dreams when they were affordable
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    Rocket 111 Touring (2010)
    Quote Originally Posted by caseye View Post
    Welcome to the club!
    Anytime you wanna check out the Africa Twin with it's amazing DCT, you just call.
    Good excuse to catch up aye mate.
    We're still trying to find the time to come and see you both, but it is definitely in the plan.

Bike
    R1200GS Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    i still kick myself i never got on of the 50 Benly dreams when they were affordable
    I bought one...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Honda Dream 50R, Ruapuna, 2008.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	436.1 KB 
ID:	352769  

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    I remember seeing you in pit lane and doing a double take.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Were they ever affordable? They were like $10k years ago.

lovely bit of jewellery though
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    R1200GS Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    I remember seeing you in pit lane and doing a double take.
    Fast for what it is, and lovely to look at, but my memory is that I finished in 5th place in the 2008 50cc GP, several laps behind your title-winning bucket racer. True (measured) top speed of just over 100 km/h, but that was flat on the tank and after a long wind up. The 'R' model had six gears to the road-going versions 5 speeder.

Again, from memory, the cost new from Blue Wing was $7000. It's now residing with a collector up norf.

Bike
    2015 Aprilia Shiver
    Thanks for the thoughtful article Geoff.
    I turn 67 in June and yesterday I enjoyed the Remutaka Hill, Martinborough, Gladstone, Pahiatua Track, Shannon loop as much as ever (though rather frustrated at the slow traffic and roadworks over the Track).
    I feel like I'm riding slower, but better and safer than in the past - hopefully not fooling myself.

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Racing Dave View Post
    I bought one...
    i am bloody envious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    Old Blue, Little blue
    S90s are pretty cool.
    maybe one of those 150 Chinese motors and a daytona 4v head might make it safer in urban traffic.
    Some of my funest times on bike was on CG125's nifty and DJ1 lead 80 and similar in heavy traffic. getting parts.
    I'd love to find a good Yamaha YL1 - my first bike - little 100cc twin - barrels of fun ..mind you those Honda S90s look so pretty ...
    “- He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.”

Bike
    1969 Honda S90
    I have a S90,the most reliable/fun bike I have owned.Always starts second kick no matter how long it has sat in the shed.Cruise all day at 65kph which is ample considering the state of Northland roads.
    Always attracts attention and comments when parked in town.The S90 has a great USA based Owners Club website with some keen enthusiasts.

Bike
    2005 Blackbird xx
    Interesting read Geoff, I haven’t been here for few years and your post was one of the first that came up. I still have the bird coming up on 160,000km and still love it. Working from home it’s not getting out much these days but it still getting upgrades from Jaws. Glade to see you’re enjoying your retirement and keeping active.
    Make mine a Heineken

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB View Post
    Interesting read Geoff, I haven’t been here for few years and your post was one of the first that came up. I still have the bird coming up on 160,000km and still love it. Working from home it’s not getting out much these days but it still getting upgrades from Jaws. Glade to see you’re enjoying your retirement and keeping active.
    Hello Brian,

Fantastic to hear that you still have the Blackbird and hope that you're well. Funnily enough, I had some recent dialogue with the editor of Bike Rider Magazine as he's a Coromandel regular for his test rides and talked about age-related riding and retirement strategies. He suggested that it might make a good article for BRM and he asked for a whole load of material and photos. I don't know whether anything will come of it but he sounded keen.

If everything remains on track, I've got a complete knee replacement coming up in Auckland at the end of the month. Not looking forward to it one bit but it should help no end in the longer run.

Take care and every good wish,

Geoff

Thread Information