Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12 months after retiring from riding

Bike
    Sold

12 months after retiring from riding

Well, it's been almost exactly a year since selling the Duke 790 and retiring from riding at 75. A loose plan to safely extend my riding career started 12 years ago. Happy to say that it worked out a bit better than expected. In case it's of any interest to anyone who's thought about what to do when the time comes, this is how it worked for me.

https://geoffjames.blogspot.com/2023...om-riding.html .

Cheers,

Geoff

Bike
    Rocket 111 Touring (2010)
    Happy riding retirement anniversary.

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by FLUB View Post
    Happy riding retirement anniversary.
    Thanks Flub - time flies when you're having fun

Bike
    CT110 Super Cub - postie bike
    Pleased it worked out for you. I'll be facing manageing that situation in two or three years.
    Grow older but never grow up

Bike
    1969 Honda S90
    When I turned 80 I figured it was time to sell my 100HP wheel lifting monster,but not give up riding.My ride now is a 50 plus year old Honda S90-10HP 80KPH flat out,cruise all day at 60 and so easy to handle.
    Definately not a long distance cruiser but real fun terrorising the neighbourhood.When I can no longer get my leg over the seat,I will then give up riding,in the meantime.

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
    When I turned 80 ...
    THere's hope for me yet!
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    By that definition perhaps a C50 next. No leg swinging leg required.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    By that definition perhaps a C50 next. No leg swinging leg required.
    What about a Piaggio MP3? Absolutely grouse on wet roundabouts..
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
    I'm only a young guy at 61 . 250 hours + under the belt riding the 500 two stroke MX bikes and , I took the KX500 '04 out a few months ago but it it didn't light my fire like it used to. Gets along Ok but . Guess I'm more concerned about keeping my body intact now, self preservation in my book.

Just sold my Gen 2 Hayabusa I've had from new ( 2011 ) too a few months ago. Nice Bike and plenty fast but, 12 years down the track...Time for a change ?

Probably won't be a Piaggio.

Give it another few more years..
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Rocket 111 Touring (2010)
    I'm only 60 but have already started re-evaluating. I suffer from peripheral neuropathy in my legs, with not much feeling, except constant pain, from my knees down. Recently I've started to get restricted movement in my left foot, making gear changing difficult.

So I've just moved from a Rocket 3 to a Burgman 650. Just slightly different! Having a fully automatic bike (scoot) with the rear brake where the clutch should be has brought back the pleasure of riding without worry. Of course a scooter that can do 180kph helps the fun, especially when it's like sitting on a comfy chair.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    Quote Originally Posted by FLUB View Post
    I'm only 60 but have already started re-evaluating. I suffer from peripheral neuropathy in my legs, with not much feeling, except constant pain, from my knees down. Recently I've started to get restricted movement in my left foot, making gear changing difficult.

So I've just moved from a Rocket 3 to a Burgman 650. Just slightly different! Having a fully automatic bike (scoot) with the rear brake where the clutch should be has brought back the pleasure of riding without worry. Of course a scooter that can do 180kph helps the fun, especially when it's like sitting on a comfy chair.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk
    Welcome to the club!
    Anytime you wanna check out the Africa Twin with it's amazing DCT, you just call.
    Good excuse to catch up aye mate.
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    Well, it's been almost exactly a year since selling the Duke 790 and retiring from riding at 75. A loose plan to safely extend my riding career started 12 years ago. Happy to say that it worked out a bit better than expected. In case it's of any interest to anyone who's thought about what to do when the time comes, this is how it worked for me.

https://geoffjames.blogspot.com/2023...om-riding.html .

Cheers,

Geoff
    Thanks for the update and the link, Geoff. It is an issue we all will face, unless other circumstances intervene.

For a number of reasons I didn't ride for about 4 months over the "summer" period. I was a bit nervous about getting back on a bike, which I did on something a little more sedate than the R1. That went well, but riding the R1 again was a little more of a challenge. Things can happen very quickly...

What did surprise me was that the challenge was more mental than physical. It reminded me of a conversation with an adventure bike rider a few years ago. She was in her 40s and had bought a Tiger 800 when riding a sports bike had become too hard on her body.

She kept the sports bike for short rides, but eventually found that it was too difficult readjusting to it after predominantly riding the Tiger. So I'll keep riding the R1 as long as I can, in fact I'm looking for a newer one!

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    Thanks for the update and the link, Geoff. It is an issue we all will face, unless other circumstances intervene.

For a number of reasons I didn't ride for about 4 months over the "summer" period. I was a bit nervous about getting back on a bike, which I did on something a little more sedate than the R1. That went well, but riding the R1 again was a little more of a challenge. Things can happen very quickly...

What did surprise me was that the challenge was more mental than physical. It reminded me of a conversation with an adventure bike rider a few years ago. She was in her 40s and had bought a Tiger 800 when riding a sports bike had become too hard on her body.

She kept the sports bike for short rides, but eventually found that it was too difficult readjusting to it after predominantly riding the Tiger. So I'll keep riding the R1 as long as I can, in fact I'm looking for a newer one!

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk
    Thanks SR! I think we've all had similar experiences to your comments. Funnily enough, two Aussie bloggers with R1s whom I follow still have their bikes but now spend most of their time on adventure bikes. In both cases, it was partially to open up new riding opportunities but
    mainly for comfort. As I got older, I found the Blackbird increasingly hard on the wrists on a long haul. Enjoy a newer R1 while you can! ��

Ps, on the average NZ road, a well ridden adv bike is the equal of a sport bike ��

Bike
    86.249 93.398 00.944
    Interesting read, although I'm hopefully a while away from that point yet. The ongoing training part sounds like a useful way to keep the brain up to speed when other things are slowing down, unfortunately I can already relate to the previous comments about wrists, legs and ankles not being quite as keen on motorcycling as they used to be.

Maybe that's why all of the riding lately has been on older & smaller bikes around town or an hour or two out and about, to be honest that's been enough to scratch the itch, and the ducati has spent the last couple of years gathering dust in the garage. A few of the older riders I know are spending most of their time on middle aged 250s, just to get out and about and have some fun on something more manageable than their older/bigger bikes.

After having a drz400 for a while I can see the attraction of the adv bike, lots more possibilities for places to go off the sealed road, and riding position that's viable for a reasonable distance on road as well.

Maybe time to see what's out there that might see me through the next decade or so......
    Riding cheap crappy old bikes badly since 1987

Tagorama maps: Transalpers map first 100 tags..................Map of tags 101-200......................Latest map, tag # 201-->

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Arrfugginbullshite there's an RGV on TM for crazy money. You just know you need it.

And maybe a season pass with the chiropractor.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Thread Information