Thread: Petition to stop the automatic deregistration of vehicles

Bike
    KTM530EXC

Petition to stop the automatic deregistration of vehicles

I like to rebuild motorcycles. The revinning process is nuts. Other countries do not do this.
    I created a petition to stop the automatic deregistration of vehicles after a year.
    Instead, to get it back on the road, just take it for a WoF. Then, pay the tax.

https://www.petitions.nz/scrap_the_d...TJg4YuUSWAESq8

Any comments appreciated. Should I alter the wording, etc.
    "May all your traffic lights be green and none of your curves have oncoming semis in them." Rocky, American Biker.
    "Those that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin, 18th C.

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rok-the-boat View Post
    I like to rebuild motorcycles. The revinning process is nuts. Other countries do not do this.
    I created a petition to stop the automatic deregistration of vehicles after a year.
    Instead, to get it back on the road, just take it for a WoF. Then, pay the tax.

https://www.petitions.nz/scrap_the_d...TJg4YuUSWAESq8

Any comments appreciated. Should I alter the wording, etc.
    In other words, just how it used to be. Continuous Vehicle Registration was a blatant tax grab disguised, like most things, as a "road safety" initiative.
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    The fun nugget I found?

If you let an active vehicle lapse, you can put it on hold, up to 59 days after. 60 days and more? You need to pay for the vehicle licence from the date of expiry to current, to do anything (re-licence or put on hold)...

Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    86.249 93.398 00.944
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    The fun nugget I found?

If you let an active vehicle lapse, you can put it on hold, up to 59 days after. 60 days and more? You need to pay for the vehicle licence from the date of expiry to current, to do anything (re-licence or put on hold)...

And you can't buy a vehicle licence without a WOF.....but if you cancel the rego you still owe the money.....
    Riding cheap crappy old bikes badly since 1987

Tagorama maps: Transalpers map first 100 tags..................Map of tags 101-200......................Latest map, tag # 201-->

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by neels View Post
    And you can't buy a vehicle licence without a WOF.....but if you cancel the rego you still owe the money.....
    Ah yes. I recently had an eye problem, couldn't ride the bike. The rego expired and I went to renew online but received a big red notice that the WoF was expired. I couldn't renew the warrant because I couldn't ride. I'm OK now, the bike is legal and I have duly paid rego for the time I was unable to ride. The situation felt a tad weird at the time though.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by neels View Post
    Another fun fact ... if you buy a vehicle with unpaid rego fee's owing ... and you do the change of ownership before you buy rego ... the previous owner gets the bill (in the mail) for unpaid rego.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    86.249 93.398 00.944
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    Another fun fact ... if you buy a vehicle with unpaid rego fee's owing ... and you do the change of ownership before you buy rego ... the previous owner gets the bill (in the mail) for unpaid rego.
    Yep, if you let it get past the window to put on hold, regardless of what you do there's basically no way to escape paying the licence cost from when it expired.
    Riding cheap crappy old bikes badly since 1987

Tagorama maps: Transalpers map first 100 tags..................Map of tags 101-200......................Latest map, tag # 201-->

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    ... Any comments appreciated. Should I alter the wording, etc.

The thing is that the simple basic fact is (like it or not) ... THIS problem is caused by the vehicle owners neglect and/or stupidity.

We ALL know (and are fully aware) of the rules. And they aren't NEW rules either.

Your argument is just like arguing about the lowering of speed limits.

Have you started a petition about that too .. ??

Bike
    KTM530EXC
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    The thing is that the simple basic fact is (like it or not) ... THIS problem is caused by the vehicle owners neglect and/or stupidity.
    We ALL know (and are fully aware) of the rules. And they aren't NEW rules either.
    Not very helpful. I have been in NZ about 20 years and like to tinker - I work on one bike a year. Sometimes I like to get them road legal. Some have just been left / stored / used on farms, etc. For example, I bought an old DR500 and sorted it and got it through the process. It had been off the road for 30 years. But what a lot of hassle. In other countries you just take it for the WoF equivalent and if it passes then you are on the road. Here, it is just a massive waste of time, resources, and manpower. I can deal with it when I have to - but what a waste of time. NZ restricts the productive process.
    "May all your traffic lights be green and none of your curves have oncoming semis in them." Rocky, American Biker.
    "Those that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin, 18th C.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Not very helpful. I have been in NZ about 20 years and like to tinker - I work on one bike a year. Sometimes I like to get them road legal. Some have just been left / stored / used on farms, etc. For example, I bought an old DR500 and sorted it and got it through the process. It had been off the road for 30 years. But what a lot of hassle. In other countries you just take it for the WoF equivalent and if it passes then you are on the road. Here, it is just a massive waste of time, resources, and manpower. I can deal with it when I have to - but what a waste of time. NZ restricts the productive process.
    Pay the fee's before the due date and put the vehicle on Hold. NO more issues later.

Too easy .. ??

Bike
    KTM530EXC
    It's been a few days - only one guy signed it thus far

Bike
    GSXR1000
    It's been a few days - only one guy signed it thus far
    Added mine.

Bike
    KTM530EXC
    Thanks - it's for everyone.

Bike
    KTM530EXC
    The petition now has a few signatures with some good supporting comments.

Thread Information