Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I tried, RC, I really did...

Bike
    R1200GS Adventure

I tried, RC, I really did...

… to ride from Christchurch to Akaroa at the new speed limit(s). This was the Tuesday before the recent school holidays, in the late morning, when I guessed that there would be minimum traffic.

From Tai Tapu to Little River the road flows nicely, there’s mostly good visibility, tighter bends are signed for a lower (recommended) speed and the surface is in good condition. What was 100km/h is now 80km/h. When you used to catch up to camper vans and the like, trundling along at 75km/h, you had a 25km/h margin when passing, to stay inside the speed limit. Now you have 5km/h. Mostly, it can’t be done legally, even in light traffic. What happens, of course, is that a line of drivers queue up behind the front vehicle, none of whom have the will to pass, but all of whom will follow the car in front at half to one second spacing. Thus, even a spirited competent driver (or rider!) must bulldoze his way in as one by one (or two by two) progress is made to get away from such tedium.

As an example, at the traffic-light signaled road works alongside Lake Forsyth, the line-up was camper van, stock truck, four cars, and then me on my bike. Once through on the green light, no-one showed any indication of wanting to do anything other than accept the 65km/h being imposed by the camper van. With a 15km/h margin for overtaking, I quickly made my way past them all.

From Little River to Hilltop the road is uphill, twisting with some tight bends but mostly in good condition. The previous speed limit was 100km/h and now it’s 60km/h. From my 50+ years of riding this road, I have observed that most cars don’t get much faster than this new limit anyway, but previously there was a 40km/h margin for legal passing. Now, there’s mostly no margin, and only very short ‘straights’ in which to make a move. Then I caught up to a concrete mixer truck, traveling at 20km/h. The slowest my R1200GSA can go in 1st gear without slipping the clutch is 20km/h… When visibility allowed, I was able to nip past, but for sure I wasn’t checking my speedo for compliance with the new limit.

At Hilltop, I turned for home.

The NZTA may have decided that it is ‘safer’ to have the new limits but my view is that for the majority of drivers who appear to be so concerned with not breaking the law, and who trust their over-reading speedos to keep them ‘safe’, they will drive in close formation convoys without any of them paying the least attention to what’s going on around them.
    I expect that if or when something does happen, it may well involve several vehicles, as the road, at 80km/h, needs no special concentration and the less than one second following distances that I now see, will frustrate the hell out of those wishing to make steady progress, until eventually they ‘take a chance’ and it all goes wrong.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by Racing Dave View Post
    . The slowest my R1200GSA can go in 1st gear without slipping the clutch is 20km/h…
    I feel like I've failed. You are better than that.

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    I feel like I've failed. You are better than that.
    Uphill, on that, I'd doubt it.

I agree with Dave's conclusions and suspect it's not the only road where commonsense has been over-ridden by virtue signalling.

I hate that term but lower speed limits simply for the sake of making traffic slower where there was no real problem can't be seen in any other light.

Bike
    GSXR1000
    One of the more dangerous trips I've experienced on that road was traveling back from Akaroa in my car with the family recently. I noticed two police units on the way to Akaroa when my 16yr old was driving so on the return journey I kept to the 80kmh limit. I had car after car tailgate me, and some attempt dangerous overtakes due to frustration. I mentioned this to my sister whose job takes her across the South Island managing early learning centres, including the one at Little River to see if she had the same experience, which she had, and also said to me the locals she had spoken with (staff and parents) hated the change and would continue to drive at 100kmh. What a result!

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    In conflicting news, I towed the caravan to Akaroa Top Ten a few months back. The tow vehicle has no lack of power, so we pretty much stuck at the speed limit all the way.

Our observation was that there are now less lunatic overtaking man hoovers (coz I can't spell manoeuvre) than I had previously experienced.

"Calm" was the word I was struck with.

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    In conflicting news, I towed the caravan to Akaroa Top Ten a few months back. The tow vehicle has no lack of power, so we pretty much stuck at the speed limit all the way.

Our observation was that there are now less lunatic overtaking man hoovers (coz I can't spell manoeuvre) than I had previously experienced.

"Calm" was the word I was struck with.
    Well that is conflicting indeed, but still (with no skin in the game any longer because I don't really ride that road now due to less interest in the way I used to ride it haha) I stand by my statement that it was one of the more dangerous drives I've had on that road.

Now don't get me started on the recent family trip to Wanaka. I hope the DoC driver of MWG279 got a bollocking for tailgating my daughter at 100kmh (gps checked) which I politely indicated he should stop doing, and then as he passed us the passenger indicated that we were wankers ha. While there were the odd idiot overtakes and other displays of driving for our entertainment I was surprised to notice the 10-15kmh speed increase of drivers as we got closer to ChCh.

Bike
    86.249 93.398 00.944
    This applies to most of the roads around the peninsula now.

I had the unfortunate experience of following a car along the Summit Rd recently, with them randomly slowing almost to a stop without any warning and down to walking pace (and motorcycle first gear) around the corners, but quite happy to boot it up to 70k on the relatively few straight parts so no possibility of overtaking within the speed limit.

My most entertaining observation of late on a newly speed limit reduced road where the reduction has removed the overtaking opportunities, was watching someone use the slow vehicle lane to overtake a campervan, clearly the campervan driver didn't consider his vehicle or his driving wobbling along at 50-60k to be slow and saw no reason to move over.

Such fun.
    Riding cheap crappy old bikes badly since 1987

Tagorama maps: Transalpers map first 100 tags..................Map of tags 101-200......................Latest map, tag # 201-->

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by neels View Post
    This applies to most of the roads around the peninsula now.

I had the unfortunate experience of following a car along the Summit Rd recently, with them randomly slowing almost to a stop without any warning and down to walking pace (and motorcycle first gear) around the corners, but quite happy to boot it up to 70k on the relatively few straight parts so no possibility of overtaking within the speed limit.

My most entertaining observation of late on a newly speed limit reduced road where the reduction has removed the overtaking opportunities, was watching someone use the slow vehicle lane to overtake a campervan, clearly the campervan driver didn't consider his vehicle or his driving wobbling along at 50-60k to be slow and saw no reason to move over.

Such fun.
    Strikes me their could be a lot of confusion about slow vehicle lanes. My local one can be mayhem! Been sat at or slightly over the posted limit and still been undertaken.
    I chortle when the hasty driver spots the lane finishing with nowhere to go. I do relent and let them in.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    There's a number of rural roads around Auckland with reduced limits. 80 is appropriate sometimes especially where there is residential development. But some make no sense at all, for example the 60 zone south of Orere Point.

It would be interesting to see what effect the reduced limits are having on safety, but I doubt that anyone is going to tell us.

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    It would be interesting to see what effect the reduced limits are having on safety, but I doubt that anyone is going to tell us.

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk
    Did you all thing the road to zero was about zero road deaths'

its about 0km speed limits on all roads
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    Did you all thing the road to zero was about zero road deaths'

its about 0km speed limits on all roads
    dead right there
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ROAD TO ZERO.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	105.5 KB 
ID:	352798  

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    dead right there
    i thought i was being clever, turns out a day late and another dollar short
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Racing Dave View Post
    The slowest my R1200GSA can go in 1st gear without slipping the clutch is 20km/h…
    I can help with that, you need the enduro transmission. It will get down to about 12kph I think, maybe 10kph on the GPS, then chug chug at no revs. Going to the clutch and you can get down to 6-8kph 2-up tracking people.

You're welcome
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Indian Scout
    Well I'm grateful I learnt to ride in the 70s doing the Akaroa loop every weekend, when it was fun. Sounds like it's ruined now. Won't be long and the NZTA rot will spread across all our roads. And it won't have achieved any degree of improved driver quality. Maybe I left it too late buying the 675 Daytona last month.

The authorities have been faced with two choices for decades.
    1. Tackle poor driving habits causing crashes at 100kph on open roads.
    OR
    2. Force these poor-quality drivers [along with all others] to crash at 80kpm and call it a successful outcome.

Oh, some will say, well by reducing the crash speeds we will save lives. Doh, that's tackling the symptom, not the cause. An experienced, observant (awareness of everything happening around them), courteous driver is better than a slower driving idiot texting on his phone, lighting a cigarette and eating a pie all while driving at 80kpm.
    Happiness is a means of travel, not a destination

Bike
    Dad's garage (That I'm allowed to touch)
    Quote Originally Posted by MD View Post
    Oh, some will say, well by reducing the crash speeds we will save lives. Doh, that's tackling the symptom, not the cause. An experienced, observant (awareness of everything happening around them), courteous driver is better than a slower driving idiot texting on his phone, lighting a cigarette and eating a pie all while driving at 80kph.
    Of course it will save lives, as crashes won't be as severe. But if reducing speeds to 80 saved lives, imagine how many more lives could be saved if the speed is reduced to 60? The Labour government policy on roading was to focus on road safety and reducing road deaths, this is that policy in action. People wanted it, people got it. The question is which people are deciding these policies? It was Green cyclist lobby groups that demanded Learner and Restricted licences should expire after 5 years instead of 10 because it was unsafe for cyclists to be on the road with drivers on learner/restricted licences, yet any adult regardless of road code knowledge can ride a bicycle.

Thread Information