Thread: Converting to an NZ motorcycle license

Bike
    None - lookingat buying my first bike

Converting to an NZ motorcycle license

Hello folks,

Came across this forum a couple of days ago when I was looking for information regarding riding in New Zealand. I am hoping to buy a motorcycle by the end of this year and wanted to prep myself for it starting now. The first thing I need to do is get my Indian license converted. I already have a full class 1 license, but just wanted get the class 6 endorsement added onto it. I browsed through the Waka Kotahi website and got all the details, but have a question regarding the documentation needed.

To fill out the application one of the documents needed is something called as 'Evidence of validity'. This is because my license is from India and is from a non-exempt list of countries. Following the link posted on the NZTA website, it takes me to the homepage of the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways (that's it!). After searching for some time, I realised that the so called evidence of validity could be one of the options called as 'DL Extract' which has all the details of the license holder and the classes held. Nowhere on the NZTA website is there an example which confirms that this is the required document, so it really brings me back to square one. In saying all this, I wanted to know if someone from India has gone through the same process recently and if they could guide me in getting this done.

Once I get my license converted, I will receive a learner's license on which I can ride bikes rated 700cc and below (correct me if I'm wrong). I honestly don't mind doing this as long as I get to ride. But I would prefer to have my full license before I can start riding. In saying this, how soon can I convert to a full license after I get my learner/restricted license? Do I need to own a bike before I can sit for the full license test?

If someone could clarify these doubts for me, it would be great!

Hoping to get back to riding after a hiatus of 5 years from it.

Cheers

Bike
    It was on the good
    You will get a mix of advice here. The best thing to do is to rock up to the AA or other NZTA agent with your Indian licence and passport, fill out the paperwork they give you and get the ball rolling. They will tell you what they will accept as the DL Extract and what you need to do if you can't access it.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ToeInToeOut View Post
    To fill out the application one of the documents needed is something called as 'Evidence of validity'. This is because my license is from India and is from a non-exempt list of countries. Following the link posted on the NZTA website, it takes me to the homepage of the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways (that's it!). After searching for some time, I realised that the so called evidence of validity could be one of the options called as 'DL Extract' which has all the details of the license holder and the classes held. Nowhere on the NZTA website is there an example which confirms that this is the required document, so it really brings me back to square one. In saying all this, I wanted to know if someone from India has gone through the same process recently and if they could guide me in getting this done.
    I'm guessing you've seen this piece: https://www.nzta.govt.nz/driver-lice...ce-of-validity

Once I get my license converted, I will receive a learner's license on which I can ride bikes rated 700cc and below (correct me if I'm wrong).
    Technically it's 660cc, and you're looking for LAMS (Learner Approved Motorcycle Scheme): https://www.nzta.govt.nz/driver-lice...orcycles/lams/
    It's not just any bike under 660cc etc.

In saying this, how soon can I convert to a full license after I get my learner/restricted license?
    If you do start at learner, then you need to work through the GDLS (Graduated Driver Licensing System). This really sums up how it works, you basically have two paths, and depends on your age: https://www.nzta.govt.nz/driver-lice...e/motorcycles/

Do I need to own a bike before I can sit for the full license test?
    No, but you do need to supply the motorbike, one is not provided. Whether you hire or own, it must be compliant with your current licence level (ie, you can't ride a 1L bike for your full test as you can't ride that on your restricted). There are companies that hire out bikes, and indeed, offer both hiring of bike and CBTA test itself. Either way, I'd recommend you hire it for more hours than just the test, have some extra time on it to get familiar with the controls.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Holders of Indian licenses generally are exempt from the 6R stage. As long as you get your 6L, you can then do a CBTA 6F practical test and go straight to your 6F.

One thing to know though. I've had clients who have ridden for years in a big city in India, who have never exceeded 50 kmh. The CBTA 6F test has urban and rural riding, at a full range of speeds. You'll need to be competent in a full range of NZ conditions to pass a CBTA test.

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    I've had clients who have ridden for years in a big city in India, who have never exceeded 50 kmh.
    won't be long before our countries max limit is 50 so they'll sot right in here...

Thread Information