Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My tyres are weird - whats going on?

Bike
    Aprillia RSV1000R 92 KX500
    Blog Entries
    I've only just seen this thread.
    Those tyres look about right for their design type, and a cooler track. As for the edges looking different - I would guess because the forces and time spent on that part of the tyre will be different from the other more utilized areas. I've seen that look on the outside edge of many tyres, even the odd slick at track days etc.
    Looks to me you had about the right pressures for those tyres on the track.
    I've not got a lot of experience on street orientated tyres, but the one time I took a zx10r out at Taupo with similar spec tyres, I found them to have poor feedback and a greasy feeling when leaning right over. The tyre was spinning up quite a lot, and I was not too fond of the vague feedback. I put it down to more street orientated carcass, design and rubber.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by sugilite View Post
    I found them to have poor feedback and a greasy feeling when leaning right over. The tyre was spinning up quite a lot, and I was not too fond of the vague feedback. I put it down to more street orientated carcass, design and rubber.
    Bingo. That was exactly what was happening. I am going to put tyres on my Street Triple before Xmas and I think I would get that type of tyre again but for road use. For a trackday a second set of wheels might be handy with more appropriate rubber.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moise View Post
    That's great, I'll be interested to hear what you think of them. We've had a couple of fine weekends up here recently and my Road 5s are looking more used now that the roads are dry and warmer.

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk
    Cheers Moise, got out yesterday for my usual 170 kms lap to Pahiatua. Beaut fine day and warm.
    (leathers are getting tight,do they shrink with age ??/ lol).
    The bike had Mich road 4's on previous(I thought they were 5's !!) but anyway steered out the driveway and instantly noticed how light the 6's feel. So had to be a bit carefull. Most noticable flicking from one side to another. The Pahiatua Track is pretty rough with patching and surface types but the 6's were noticably better than the 4's.
    Next ride I'll get some pace on , but I think they're gunna be great.

You'd never go hungry with Nigella Gaz.
    If it weren't for flashbacks...I'd have no memory at all..

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Yeah Dusty told me, with a wry smile, that yes leathers do seem to shrink.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    Yeah Dusty told me, with a wry smile, that yes leathers do seem to shrink.
    Is he still around? I got one of the first one piece suits he made when he was at Stokes Valley. It's still up in the attic after many seasons of speedway at Te Marua
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Haven't seen him for at least a year. Ah yes was altering Alpinestar pants that were baggy. But he's retired mostly. Still the same. Always grinning.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Wow, dusty is still around!
    I thought he was old when he made my first set of decent leathers erm 34 years ago! So I'm probs older now than he was then, so by my own definition I'm a golden oldie now
    He made the best leathers at the time that's for sure. My very first set of race leathers were made by a outfit in Masterton called Jeffrey Chandels. They lasted a whole one low level crash at manfields first turn, then called "coke". Dusty's leader leathers lasted me MANY crashes

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    Haven't seen him for at least a year. Ah yes was altering Alpinestar pants that were baggy. But he's retired mostly. Still the same. Always grinning.
    We ring each other every month or so, been mates from Primary School years. He said he's pretty much retired.
    Likes to go to Thailand in winter and had just done about 6 weeks there last time we chatted.
    ( missed him at our 'old racer reunion' a month ago in Eastbourne for that reason).

Lovely bloke. xx

Bike
    Blog Entries
    General rule was how much? Then pay what you thought it was actually worth. (x2 generally for repairs) . He lives next door to a mate so would often catch up with him then but haven't been up there of late, must do.

Still have a Riveria Jacket which was an offshoot from Leda, Scooter centre used to sell.
    He extended it as it shrank from my teenage size. Later pressed into service for the wiff with jumpers etc.

I then got him to build a replica with body armour. Only replaced maybe 2 yrs back when I got air vest and leathers to match.

He was to inner stage with a new set of race leathers when I spanked myself up enough to retire. Poor old AGV leathers he had repaired and altered so many times they had patches on patches. Hard armour wore holes quicker than humans.

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    Quote Originally Posted by sugilite View Post
    Wow, dusty is still around!
    I thought he was old when he made my first set of decent leathers erm 34 years ago! So I'm probs older now than he was then, so by my own definition I'm a golden oldie now
    He made the best leathers at the time that's for sure. My very first set of race leathers were made by a outfit in Masterton called Jeffrey Chandels. They lasted a whole one low level crash at manfields first turn, then called "coke". Dusty's leader leathers lasted me MANY crashes
    Yes Dustmiester made great stuff. I came back from Aussie in 1997 and said to him make me some new leathers. He said ok if you paint my house !!!! hahaha so the deal was done ! I was waiting to get back in the Police ,so it all worked out great.
    Man sugilite,you skinny bugger,half your luck ! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	270.7 KB 
ID:	354042 Still using these Leda leathers today. Though as I said they've shunk a bit round the middle..... Hey I'm 74 !!! lol.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by roogazza View Post
    Man sugilite,you skinny bugger,half your luck !
    Errrmmmm, that photo was taken 35 years ago. Now I have to keep swatting moons away from wanting to orbit my belly

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    General rule was how much? Then pay what you thought it was actually worth.
    When I first went for measuring the price was to be $100 but when I went to collect them I only had $99 (mostly notes but a lot of coins too) so he let it go at that. About 16 years worth of speedway dirt and crashes, one replacement zip and a number of left knee patches. Colours are still bright. They still fit.

Sorry for hijacking the tyre thread
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    1999 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by roogazza View Post
    Cheers Moise, got out yesterday for my usual 170 kms lap to Pahiatua. Beaut fine day and warm.
    (leathers are getting tight,do they shrink with age ??/ lol).
    The bike had Mich road 4's on previous(I thought they were 5's !!) but anyway steered out the driveway and instantly noticed how light the 6's feel. So had to be a bit carefull. Most noticable flicking from one side to another. The Pahiatua Track is pretty rough with patching and surface types but the 6's were noticably better than the 4's.
    Next ride I'll get some pace on , but I think they're gunna be great.
    I fitted the Road 5 after the 4, and nearly dropped the bike making the left turn from our drive onto the road! But the front is good once you get used to it and direction changes are easy. I still miss how stable the R1 felt on the 4's at high lean angles - the 195/55 rear had a more triangular profile that the 5 rear.

I think the 5 is the best sports tyre I've had on the R1, and they last about twice as long!

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moise View Post
    I fitted the Road 5 after the 4, and nearly dropped the bike making the left turn from our drive onto the road! But the front is good once you get used to it and direction changes are easy. I still miss how stable the R1 felt on the 4's at high lean angles - the 195/55 rear had a more triangular profile that the 5 rear.

I think the 5 is the best sports tyre I've had on the R1, and they last about twice as long!

Yeah bud,can't wait to out again with the 6's.
    Was thinking I don't know why I didn't try diff rubber on my 1000 as I used to go thru sport rubber like underwear every 4000kms !Had it for quite a few years until the old bod made it just too hardto keep. Love the 14 now though.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PB250115.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	829.7 KB 
ID:	354043

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    Cheers Moise, got out again yesterday,so the Michelin R6s have done over 300kms now. I haven't tried 5's but I swear by these new ones.
    Hopefully the mileage is as good or even better ?
    The touchy front seems to have settled down a bit and feels great.... No moments to report although at one stage I saw north of 150 and thought, slow down Rossi !
    Two corners later a couple of cars appeared oncoming ,the second with yellow and blue markings !!!!!!!! Here's me at 110kph !!! lucky ,lucky!

Still got 10mm chicken strips but thats pretty normal for this old fella..

Thread Information