Thread: BHST training recommendations - Hamilton

Bike
    NC30s

BHST training recommendations - Hamilton

Hi team,

My wife has been talking about getting her bike license, and is wanting to do a training session and complete the practical part of her BHST.

I don't want to give her lessons myself because; 1) an NC30 is not the most comfortable bike to learn on, and 2) it has original fairings which are bloody hard to find these days.

We did a few lessons in a parking lot a few years ago, and she was able to ride around and turn in first and second gear, so she has the aptitude, it's just getting an good hour or two of practice in with a good instructor that she needs.

So, does anybody have a recommendation for someone in Hamilton who does training + BHST and supplies the bike?

Thanks!

Bike
    Dad's garage (That I'm allowed to touch)

Question

Not a recommendation, but since no one else is helping. Riderskills or Roadsafe both do BHS. Most of them should include a bike as you probably aren't expected to own one before having a BHS (technically you don't have a learners so just like a car licence)

https://www.riderskills.co.nz/defaul...geref=Learners

Most of the time the learner bikes are Yamaha Scorpios or something small and nimble like that. Very easy to ride.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoonicorn View Post

Most of the time the learner bikes are Yamaha Scorpios or something small and nimble like that. Very easy to ride.
    A lot of schools have GN125s, as they are very comfortable at 20 kmh in second gear. The Scorpio is geared a little high for 20 kmh, which is the maximum speed expected in a BHST.

Still very do-able, but the GN125 is perfectly suited to it.

You can ride your own bike in the BHST, as long as it is legal and a motorcycle i.e. not a moped.

Ironically, I've had people bring their Vespa with CVT to their BHST, as they think it will be easier not having to change gears. Thing is, CVT transmissions need constant regulation at low speeds, and don't have much engine deceleration. In my experience, it's actually harder to pass a BHST on a CVT bike, than to just learn how to use gears, and do that.

Thread Information