Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Waimakariri Speed Limit Consultation

Bike
    1999 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post

The problem is now infinitely worse, where the limits are being set to reflect risk based on environment. They are being set at a safe and sustainable level. And people regularly have no idea the limit in the road they are in.

Even online tools like Google and Waze occasionally get it wrong, as they can't account for temporary limits like roadworks.

I guess it's too much to expect people to pay attention to road signs.
    Now I would be the first to agree that the blanket 100 limit on rural roads is no longer appropriate for a whole variety of reasons. But the rationale for some of the 80 and 60 limits set by AT is difficult to understand. I seriously doubt that anyone suitably qualified actually drove on the roads and properly assessed what was a safe speed.

One example is the 60 and 80 limits from Drury to Waiuku. No problem with SH22 to Paerata given the heavy traffic on this section, but is none of the road past there safe for 100 hm/h?

Some councils have done a reasonable job, eg Waipa District Council. But, as I've previously said, generally it's a mess.

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Research suggests that people's minds actually capture about 16% of the signs that people encounter. There's so much visual pollution and clutter its no wonder people don't see the signs that matter.
    A few years ago I was doing a CBTA test for a guy, and all was going well. Until we transitioned from an 80 kmh area into a 60 kmh area.

It was pretty clear that he just hadn't seen the signs, as he carried on at a steady 78 kmh. Past the two 60 kmh signs, clearly displayed, one on each side of the road.

I'm just too damn straight to let it go, so I had to give him the bad news that he had failed, for doing 78 in a 60 kmh area.

He insisted that we go back to look, as he didn't believe me. So we did, and he was amazed that he hadn't see them.

Thing is, if ever there is a time when you are having to not exceed the speed limit, it's on a driving/riding test. It just wasn't his day.

But it really highlights the problem of human fallibility.

Bike
    It was on the good
    But it really highlights the problem of human fallibility.
    And the fact that there is now no way you can assess what the speed limit might be from the surrounding environment which seemed to work pretty well until they brought all the new limits in. 60, 70 or 80? Who the fuck knows anymore. 50, 40 or 30? 50 or 60?

Went through a school zone this afternoon. No clock on my bike, didn't know whether it was ten to three and 50km/h or ten past three and 30km/h. Obviously I erred on the side of caution, dropped a couple of gears and pulled a wheelie at 90km/h for the lols.

Bike
    1999 Yamaha R1
    I went through a school zone yesterday that was also a 40 km/h limit! The speed limit and school zone signs were within a few metres of each other. Harris Road in Huntly.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Whadya mean you didn't see the sign?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vienna-confusing-many-traffic-signs-information-overload-streets-car-at-freeway-donauuferautobah.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	191.5 KB 
ID:	353962  
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    It was on the good
    If your licence depends on seeing a sign then it should be a bit more obvious than just sticking the minimum size roundel to a handy lamp post at the back of the footpath and saying well, the sign is there. They should be blindingly obvious if the intent is to save lives rather than to fail people on their CBTA or, heaven forbid, raise money for the government.

Bike
    R1200RT LC

Bike
    It was on the good
    Was talking generally, not sure how you thought I would know which specific signs you were referring to.

Imagine the truck in your photo being in front of you on this road with a bus coming the other way. The white car has just turned out of the side road, there's a pedestrian crossing with poor visibility ahead, kid on a scooter to one side and probably a Bully XL about to jump out on you. A few more distractions than your example. Not convinced this complies with 8.2(1).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	banananan.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	383.4 KB 
ID:	353965  

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post
    Imagine the truck in your photo being in front of you on this road with a bus coming the other way. .
    Another reason for leaving a significant following distance is that it gives you a better view, and more time to take stuff in.

Following trucks too closely often obscures vision, even of overhead traffic lights.

I actually agree with you. There is so much to take in at times, our mind captures the things that present the greatest threat, and speed signs aren't that. It's part of our survival instinct.

I blame the cavemen.

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    Whadya mean you didn't see the sign?
    in lambton quay welly and many other central streets the speed limit signs are about 4 meters up, i'm looking for someone stepping off the footpath, with ear buds in listening to joy division, not up in the sky.....

Bike
    1999 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    in lambton quay welly and many other central streets the speed limit signs are about 4 meters up, i'm looking for someone stepping off the footpath, with ear buds in listening to joy division, not up in the sky.....
    Joy Division? Wasn't Up in the Sky by Oasis?

Thread Information