Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Motorcycle Manufacters Castrating/Historectimising Motorcyclists for $$$$$

Bike
    Aprillia RSV1000R 92 KX500
    Blog Entries
    I guess the fight back is likely too late and it gets accepted into normalcy. It would take the heads of marque specific facebook groups/forums etc to coordinate a campaign of sustained pressure on their respective manufacturers to bring about change.

Just imagine a world with motorcycles being controlled like 3 in one printers are these days. Run out of ink, and the scanning gets disabled. "I'm sorry sir, your helmet is one day past it's expiry date, access to motorcycle - denied, but do feel free to sit on it in the garage and make broom broom sounds.".

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    How about we get the tech world motivated to make complete aftermarket ECU’s for ahem racing use.
    I’m sure none of the data is encrypted strong enough for the right minds to not be able to do it.
    I’ve seen a guy pull a complete ecu read of a bmw car and even write/clone the internal vin/ID into a new generic aftermarket ecu so it’s doable.
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post
    How about we get the tech world motivated to make complete aftermarket ECU’s for ahem racing use.
    I’m sure none of the data is encrypted strong enough for the right minds to not be able to do it.
    I’ve seen a guy pull a complete ecu read of a bmw car and even write/clone the internal vin/ID into a new generic aftermarket ecu so it’s doable.
    the mind that are smart enough to that sort of thing are probably after a more profitable target, such as cracking bank encryption
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Cracking ECU's is easy enough that there are multiple places in NZ that can do this. Cracking bank encryption though....yeah not so much

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post
    Getting your ECU "flashed" to remove a 4000rpm flat spot, correct lean running or liberate more horsepower with a new pipe is common practice. But that is purely the engine management / FI side of things.

I suspect the firmware for anti wheelie, no slidey slidey is a whole different kettle of pixies. No doubt some 12 year old is all over it but then we have to consider stuff like autonomous braking, cruise control, lidar etc. Getting it wrong could be lethal.

And if it does go wrong after fiddling where would we stand with insurance and the legal aspect of causing an accident due to riding an unsafe bike? Will the electronics on vehicles become a bigger part of the WoF process? An ABS warning light is currently a fail.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post

And if it does go wrong after fiddling where would we stand with insurance and the legal aspect of causing an accident due to riding an unsafe bike? Will the electronics on vehicles become a bigger part of the WoF process? An ABS warning light is currently a fail.
    Undoubtedly they will become an integral part of the WOF test. ATM they aren't - but only because no-one's written them into the regs.
    What worries me is that the easy way will be taken - a fault light will be a fail. No effort to actually test the functions.

We're already looking back on the golden age of motorcycling.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    Or buy a BMW R1250GSA for a gaziliion dollars, then farkle the feck out of it with Touratech or Wunderlich bits.

Kind of disappointing. But it's a strategy to empty our pockets. Hardly surprising, when you consider that companies exist to make money. They aren't a social service.
    Just look at any brand that has a model that has a street variant along with the adventure variant (KTM Duke vs Adventure, BMW R1250 GS vs R/RS etc). The adventure variant is comfortably more expensive. Manufacturers figured this out a while ago...
    The new R1300GSA (when announced next year) is going to be past $50k, if the R1300GS is $46k (depending on model etc).

My 1090R was lighter than the 1190R (plus upgraded suspension etc). Half the weight loss was the centre stand (which you paid to put back on) - the R1300GS in some variants also does away with the centre stand being stock.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    a fault light will be a fail. No effort to actually test the functions.
    It already is with ABS and TPMS lights
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Thread Information