Thread: Ride forever cash back on rego

Bike
    suzuki

Ride forever cash back on rego

Hi Folks, how long does it usually take to get the money they promise us on our rego after applying for it?

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    Hi Folks, how long does it usually take to get the money they promise us on our rego after applying for it?
    The trainers submit their invoices, including the list of names of who attended, at the end of each month.

ACC then compiles the lists of who has attended, and has to check the validity of the claims by physically checking the photos of the reg plates and licence labels, to make sure each claim meets the criteria. It sounds straight forward, but you would be surprised how many people submit claims falsely, or mistakenly.

Once the list is checked and all validated it's sent to the accounts dept, who load it into the system for payment in the next payment run, normally the following month.

It's a drawn out process, so I don't expect payment until up to 3 months after I have attended the course.

ACC wanted to automate the process, but the POS system used by Waka Kotahi and the accounts system at ACC don't talk. Let alone the spreadsheets of the various trainers around the country, who are the official keepers of the lists of who attended the courses.

Frustrating I know, but if you understood how cumbersome the process was, you wouldn't be surprised.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    So. . . What happens if you have more than one bike? This might account for a bunch of extra applications perhaps?
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    So. . . What happens if you have more than one bike? This might account for a bunch of extra applications perhaps?
    Interesting comment, and one that arises almost every time ACC levies on motorcycles are discussed. The word "unfair" is often used.

There are approximately 450000 Class 6 licences are held in NZ. Only about 130000 actually ride, and many of those do so infrequently. Lots ride when they were younger, but haven;'t ridden in years, and maybe never will. But they still have a licence. So it wouldn't be "fair" to levy those who hold licences, as most who do, don't ride.

So, how about we cross reference those who hold a Class 6 with the list of licenced motorcycles? Those who have a bike licence, and a bike registered in their name. Sounds fair, right? Until we all twigged, and transfer our bikes into the name of a relative who doesn't have a bike licence. See, whatever system they invent, someone will find a way to subvert it. It's human nature.

Whatever system they invent will suit some people, and not suit others, depending on the individuals circumstances. At the moment, having more than one bike registered is a disadvantage.

Remember, though, that some people borrow a mates bike, pay no ACC levy, and still get their riding injuries covered by ACC.

Remember too, that ACC will recover the fees somehow. So if the levy take decreases due to less bikes being registered, the cost of licencing a bike will go up. Significantly. Again.

Hey, I also think we pay too much, but I also understand that collectively, riders pay about 30% of the cost of motorcycle injuries and rehab covered by ACC.

Remember that everyone gets bitter about having ridden for 30 years and never had a crash. Well, I don't know who the numpty is that keeps crashing, as that bastard is costing us a fortune.

Bike
    It was on the good
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    There are approximately 450000 Class 6 licences are held in NZ. Only about 130000 actually ride, and many of those do so infrequently. Lots ride when they were younger, but haven;'t ridden in years, and maybe never will. But they still have a licence. So it wouldn't be "fair" to levy those who hold licences, as most who do, don't ride.
    You can't bring the word 'fair' into the conversation when it comes to ACC. It can never be fair if you charge two people the same amount and don't take into account past history and past claims. Absolutely zero incentive to get better.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post
    You can't bring the word 'fair' into the conversation when it comes to ACC. It can never be fair if you charge two people the same amount and don't take into account past history and past claims. Absolutely zero incentive to get better.
    At the consultation from which Cashback arose, riders protested that safer riders should be paying less.

So ACC took that on board. They have proven that riders who take Ride Forever courses are safer. Somewhere between 26% and 50% less likely to submit an injury claim to ACC. Audited figures, by an external corporate auditor, comparing the lifetime claims history of riders who had done courses against the lifetime claim history of those who hadn't. 1000 of each, I understand.

So they offer money back to people who they define as safer, being those who have done courses.

Seems reasonable. Said it before, and I'll say it again. It hurts when I register my bike. But I understand why. And it feels good to get some Cashback.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    My comments were because I know Spyda has several bikes, though not sure how many are registered, but often serious bikers have more than one bike.

ACC is a whole lot better than suing every goddam fella. But it's got its issues. I'm currently finding that if someone threw themselves in front of a ute (rebated or otherwise), they get ACC support. I accidentally caught an infection, but I'm not covered because it isn't an accident. . .,
    Cancer sufferers will be in the same boat. You don't think about it until you are faced with it.

I've not done a RFE course. What is the discount? Time is an issue vs saving, but I used to help run intermediare and advanced courses, though they were called something different back then.
    Just realised I should have put my active bike rego on hold, but hope to be riding before 3 months so sod it.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    R1200GS Adventure
    Back in the dim, dark ages, when Nick Smith was the Minister for ACC, we enjoyed a short correspondence on the 'fairness' for those riders who own and license multiple bikes, compared to those who ride just as often, but only own the one.

You won't be surprised to learn that my argument got nowhere.

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    At the consultation from which Cashback arose, riders protested that safer riders should be paying less.

So ACC took that on board. They have proven that riders who take Ride Forever courses are safer. Somewhere between 26% and 50% less likely to submit an injury claim to ACC. Audited figures, by an external corporate auditor, comparing the lifetime claims history of riders who had done courses against the lifetime claim history of those who hadn't. 1000 of each, I understand.

So they offer money back to people who they define as safer, being those who have done courses.

Seems reasonable. Said it before, and I'll say it again. It hurts when I register my bike. But I understand why. And it feels good to get some Cashback.
    It would be interesting to see a new audit now Everyman and his dog has done a course. A lot of the early adopters were prob the likes of your average Ulysses club rider who potter about and don’t take risks. And if you’ve made it that demographic you’ve prob done your lifetimes worth of crashing already. With a bigger catchment it would be interesting to see new numbers.
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post
    It would be interesting to see a new audit now Everyman and his dog has done a course. A lot of the early adopters were prob the likes of your average Ulysses club rider who potter about and don’t take risks. And if you’ve made it that demographic you’ve prob done your lifetimes worth of crashing already. With a bigger catchment it would be interesting to see new numbers.
    The certified 26% was the first tranche, up to about 2018 when the sample was taken and researched. The next sample was taken more recently, and the result is closer to 50%.

That's people who take a course are up to 50% less likely to submit an ACC claim.arising from motorcycle use.

I've worked in a few road safety programmes in my career. None of them come close to the return on investment presented by R4E.

Thread Information