Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Road condition possible cause of crash?

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWST? View Post
    He braked quite early but didnt seem to slow down much and didnt seem to turn away but rather kept going .Easy to criticise watching a slo mo video
    Just watched it. I dunno he seems to have room but maybe freaked a little and got the old target fixation. Narrow gravel road,shit happens.
    Older fellas but we don't know how experienced. Took a while to get up lol.
    No other traffic oncoming either ,maybe got a bit of a fright when the Ute appeared ?

You'd never go hungry with Nigella Gaz.
    If it weren't for flashbacks...I'd have no memory at all..

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by roogazza View Post
    Just watched it. I dunno he seems to have room but maybe freaked a little and got the old target fixation. Narrow gravel road,shit happens.
    Older fellas but we don't know how experienced. Took a while to get up lol.
    No other traffic oncoming either ,maybe got a bit of a fright when the Ute appeared ?
    Concur. I feel for the poor bugger. By the time WTF? had gone through their head the body was tense and the reaction window was closing.

It's really hard to make an instantaneous decision in a situation like that and focus on the "gap".
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWST? View Post
    He braked quite early but didnt seem to slow down much and didnt seem to turn away but rather kept going .Easy to criticise watching a slo mo video
    It’s not about criticism, it’s about hey guys there’s always something you can be actively doing yourself to contribute to your own safety.
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    One of the keys to positioning is surface appraisal.

I suspect that if the rider had paid more attention to where she was putting her contact patches, this might not have happened.

Sure, roads need to be better. But until they are, we need to ride like they aren't.

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Follow up of the Africa twin vs ford ranger from the man himself.

Bike
    CT110 Super Cub - postie bike
    Spent some time thinking about the incident today as I rode around. I came up with one observation. The rider was riding with two friends so assume three bikes and that they were all going about the same speed and probably following similar lines. Yet the other two bikes didn't have tank slappers on that piece of road which makes me think bike setup may have something to do with it or an incorrect input from the rider. I know, a lot of assumptions but I offer it for thought.
    Grow older but never grow up

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Certainly none of us know. But reflecting back, my gf had a bad tankslapping wobble on her, and I can't remember if it was GN250 or GS500, but we were approaching McKay's crossing. The road was shiny and badly bumpy from trucks breaking. We didn't have same issue. I'm guessing she deflected the front wheel off a bump to invoke it. She was badly rattled by the experience.

I could say her inexperience and my superior roadcraft were the reason for above. But we'd ridden many more kilometers in those years than most people especially these days with bikes as secondary transport. Also if it were nighttime and I was tired, I could easily have hit those bumps wrong. Then I'd be the wally.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakie View Post
    Spent some time thinking about the incident today as I rode around. I came up with one observation. The rider was riding with two friends so assume three bikes and that they were all going about the same speed and probably following similar lines. Yet the other two bikes didn't have tank slappers on that piece of road which makes me think bike setup may have something to do with it or an incorrect input from the rider. I know, a lot of assumptions but I offer it for thought.
    A thoughtful response but one observation. I was startled to see "bike set up" referred to in connection with a Harley. Generally, according to professionals, they don't even run correct tyre pressures.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    A thoughtful response but one observation. I was startled to see "bike set up" referred to in connection with a Harley. Generally, according to professionals, they don't even run correct tyre pressures.
    I've never ridden a bike like the Harley which went AWOL. Would the large diameter front wheel and fat tyres cause the bike to tram line more than a "normal" bike? Compensating for this could cause a head shake. Just a thought.

I can get a tank slapper going on all my trail bikes with 21" fronts pretty easily. Not that I do, obv's.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    R100GSPD
    in another life i had a cb900. A flatmate also had a CB900. He always complained about speed wobble as he hit the Aotea Overramp southbound. I tried his bike no issue. He tried my bike..had a speed wobble. He was a little fella. I was a normal fella. I think we ran the same tyres at that time

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    I've never ridden a bike like the Harley which went AWOL. Would the large diameter front wheel and fat tyres cause the bike to tram line more than a "normal" bike? Compensating for this could cause a head shake. Just a thought.
    Closest I've had was a VTX1800 the shop gave me as a loaner, while one was in. The biggest thing I remember is consecutive bumps just flat out confused the suspension (but mister, I'm still dealing with the other bump and now you give me another?) Combine the bumps with corners and you had a real circular gyration going on.

For tramlining, even different tyres on the same bike can behave differently. Also, given the reasonably slack head angle (especially in comparison to say sportbikes), it seems less likely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Kyle Wyman of king of baggers fame and AMA Superbikes takes his personal road bike around laguna seca.

Bike
    It was on the good
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post
    Kyle Wyman of king of baggers fame and AMA Superbikes takes his personal road bike around laguna seca.
    Going to have a bit of a stab in the dark here and say he has a few more km's under his belt than the subject of this thread.

Have seen a few cruisers crash due to running out of ground clearance when banked over on a corner, hello Suzuki Boulevard, but generally speaking the rider is more of a contributing factor to a bike only crash than the type of bike, assuming it is kind of road legal.

Bike
    86.249 93.398 00.944
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post
    Have seen a few cruisers crash due to running out of ground clearance when banked over on a corner, hello Suzuki Boulevard, but generally speaking the rider is more of a contributing factor to a bike only crash than the type of bike, assuming it is kind of road legal.
    Have observed similar myself thankfully without the crashing, after being overtaken by a fat american machine at the end of a couple of long straights leading into 10k of twisties, then watching the hopping sideways on the road when bits touched down and the constant checking of the mirror to see if the following 2 up 80's yamaha was still there. Didn't look like much fun from an observer point of view.
    Riding cheap crappy old bikes badly since 1987

Tagorama maps: Transalpers map first 100 tags..................Map of tags 101-200......................Latest map, tag # 201-->

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Stumbled across this vid. Go to 1:34 for relevance.

Manopausal.

Thread Information